Quick Questions, Quick Answers

Mattiewagg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question regarding perks, skills and books.

See, I know that you cannot create separate skill trees and put them in the skill menu, I'm also pretty sure that you cannot do it the way bethesda did it for werewolf and vampire lord(correct me if I'm wrong) with the tools we've been given - but the solution in the mod "Campfire", from the creator of Frostfall is(in my opinion) pretty damn good.

For those who don't know what solution I'm talking about, here's a bit of info about it: http://skyrimsurvival.com/home/campfire/campfire-perk-system/

What I'm wondering is - could a method, similar to what is shown in the picture, be applied to a book? For instance, you have a book named Destruction magic and on one page you have perks related to fire and on another page you have perks related to frost and so on so forth. Is there any way you can add clickable objects to a book? Or possibly simulate it by drawing a UI on the screen that aligns with the book? (Could look ugly, different aspect ratios & resolutions etc)

The amount of work needed for this is irrelevant, I simply just want to know if it is remotely possible, with the tools that are currently available.

I have little to no experience with the creation kit and its capabilities other than searching for data relevant to my question.

TL;DR - Can you create a standalone skill tree in a book?

Edited by EnokStenhuggare

thanks lofgren, pretty much what I would have pointed OP to.

Good luck LittleRaskols.

No luck needed, lofgren was spot on. But in other news...

WeaponSpeedMult has become an unexpected barrier. No, I don't mean the "base value is 0 not 1" thing. I mean that interacts oddly with conditions detecting movement. What I am trying to do now is apply a penalty to draw speed if the player is moving while drawing the bowstring. The goal is to make kiting a bit more difficult even with the Ranger perk for certain kinds of bow. Calling the Quick Shot magic effect (which is just a Value Modifier: WeaponSpeedMult effect) with a fractional value with the condition "IsMoving = 1" works fine... so long as you are only moving forward. If you are moving backward or sideways, it ignores any modification to WeaponSpeedMult. Or in other words, it works on everything except kiting and strafing.

So this might be out of scope for the quick questions thread, because this is getting pretty long, but I guess I just want to know before I sink a bunch of time into Papyrus whether scripting can bypass this? Or is this a known limitation with no known solution? (I do know that adding a "GetDirection" condition to the spell/ability calling the effect does nothing. It's as if WeaponSpeedMult itself only cares about forward movement.)

Edit: It's actually worse than I had thought. I knew this seemed wrong for a reason: if this were true the Quick Shot perk would be worthless. But when applied by the Quick Shot perk, i.e., applied in such a way as to improve attack/draw speed, it works as expected in all directions. The problem I'm seeing only happens if you are trying to decrease attack/draw speed!

Edited by LittleRaskols

I have a question regarding perks, skills and books.

See, I know that you cannot create separate skill trees and put them in the skill menu, I'm also pretty sure that you cannot do it the way bethesda did it for werewolf and vampire lord(correct me if I'm wrong) with the tools we've been given - but the solution in the mod "Campfire", from the creator of Frostfall is(in my opinion) pretty damn good.

For those who don't know what solution I'm talking about, here's a bit of info about it: http://skyrimsurvival.com/home/campfire/campfire-perk-system/

What I'm wondering is - could a method, similar to what is shown in the picture, be applied to a book? For instance, you have a book named Destruction magic and on one page you have perks related to fire and on another page you have perks related to frost and so on so forth. Is there any way you can add clickable objects to a book? Or possibly simulate it by drawing a UI on the screen that aligns with the book? (Could look ugly, different aspect ratios & resolutions etc)

The amount of work needed for this is irrelevant, I simply just want to know if it is remotely possible, with the tools that are currently available.

I have little to no experience with the creation kit and its capabilities other than searching for data relevant to my question.

TL;DR - Can you create a standalone skill tree in a book?

you probably could, if you had the tools and knowledge to make widgets.

What's the best way to navmesh an external worldspace?

I want to navmehs the grotto, but for some reason it only generates a single cell (the one I'm in) and it doesn't allow me to edit by hand outside of it. I can't merge vertices on the borders, nor move them outside the border. So how do I do the connections between cells?

What's the best way to navmesh an external worldspace?

I want to navmehs the grotto, but for some reason it only generates a single cell (the one I'm in) and it doesn't allow me to edit by hand outside of it. I can't merge vertices on the borders, nor move them outside the border. So how do I do the connections between cells?

From past experiences I have found that generating the navmeshes for a worldspace is much more efficient if you do them by hand and don't use the CKs navemesh generation. A lot of times you spend more time repairing the triangles than it would take if you do it by hand. When I do an exterior area, I first make sure that the cell borders are visible by using the "B" key to toggle them on or off then I do one cell at a time. Make sure all of the vertices are actually on the border so when you do the next cell you can line them up. Then in the next cell I place the vertices slightly off the border and completely navmesh the cell and when done I then move the border vertices out to match the adjacent cell, adjusting them up or down, left to right, to meet the first cell. Then I finalize the cell and if there are any mismatches (broken green line), I correct them before moving to the next cell. I did this for the two small worldspaces in my mod and it took about 2 weeks working a few hours a night till it was done. When all was finished I made several pathing tests to make sure that any NPCs or "critters" would have no problem moving cell to cell. This is an Example of what it should look like.

Edited by Aragorn58

So this might be out of scope for the quick questions thread, because this is getting pretty long, but I guess I just want to know before I sink a bunch of time into Papyrus whether scripting can bypass this? Or is this a known limitation with no known solution?

Hell, I'm going to give it a shot. I realize that last post was probably too rambly for the thread, so here is my quick question: In "OnEffectStart(Actor akTarget, Actor akCaster)," if the "Delivery" of the Magic Effect my script will be attached to is set to "Self" are akTarget and akCaster both equivalent to "Self"?

Seems like a dumb question now that I've written it out, but I figure I should ask now because I'll probably end up doing it wrong.

Edited by LittleRaskols