Moon base mod

Metrokiller555

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here is what I'm thinking if getting the moon by rocket is impossible then I'm thinking Groom Lake near Area 51 would offer the next best option to get there. I checked Google maps for how long it would take to walk from Las Vegas to Groom Lake and it said 42 hours and 127 Miles and I'm assuming over well maintained roads and trails however after 200+ years those roads and trails will be nothing more than goat ( Bighorner ) paths with other dangers along the way. So the walking time would be doubled possible tripled unless the player could use the Enclave Remnants or NCR's Vertibird in their Bunker or Bear Force One from Hoover Dam to get there a whole lot faster. The Brotherhood of Steel don't have access to a Vertibird so the only two factions Enclave Remnants and NCR have those kind of resources for the player to use to get to Groom Lake/Area 51.

Pardon if someone has already suggested this but why don't you use the 'wacky wasteland' saucer either to get to groom lake or get to the moon. Perhaps Chris Haversam could get it going...

Hmm I've never taken the Wild Wasteland trait before I didn't even know there was a flying saucer in the game, I suppose that could be another route into space and to the moon and Chris Haversam might be able to get it running too boot since he just hangs out in Novac after Jason Bright and his Bright Followers leave him behind. I'll bet he is just itching to keep his mind occupied and forget about the events at the REPCONN Test Site.

On a side note there are two possible events for the Hubologists spaceship. If the player uses the fuel for the oil tanker to get the Poseidon oil platform instead of giving the fuel to the Hubologists then they try to launch the shuttle with a cheaper fuel alternative and the shuttle explodes on the runway. However if the the player gives the Hubologists the fuel taken from the Shi the shuttle makes it into orbit where the life support systems fail and presumably they all parish from suffocation.

Now if they make into orbit and lose life support they would presumably be wearing space suits with about 24 hours worth of breathable air and by chemical rocket the moon is only 3 days away and that was with crude chemical rockets however the shuttle itself has nuclear propulsion and it only needed liquid fuel to attain a geostationary orbit where they would have switched to nuclear propulsion to reach the moon before the O2 in their suits would run out. Once on the Moon they would have landed and sided with one of the lunar factions. Or at least that's my theory.

Hmm I've never taken the Wild Wasteland trait before I didn't even know there was a flying saucer in the game, I suppose that could be another route into space and to the moon and Chris Haversam might be able to get it running too boot since he just hangs out in Novac after Jason Bright and his Bright Followers leave him behind. I'll bet he is just itching to keep his mind occupied and forget about the events at the REPCONN Test Site.

You have a pilot in Novac too.

Daisy Whitman.? . . . She is a feisty old gal but might be a bit old to pilot a ship into space unless the alien ship is equipped with inertial dampeners to cut back on the G forces after all a vessel needs to reach Mach 5 or 1701.45 meters per second in order to break away from Earth gravitational pull. Still her knowledge of advanced Enclave tech would make her a good candidate to pilot the mission and from talking to her she sounds like she might be ready for the challenge. John Glenn was 77 when he flew into space on the Discovery (STS-95) mission so who knows maybe Daisy might just have the right stuff.

I think it would be a long shot (ahahah) for 'the courier' or anyone else for that matter to just get into a spacecraft, fly it to the moon without making a brand new crater on one of the planets. Of course the Boomers might just have some training holotapes for the Fallout world's equivalent of the Bell X space planes... but if you thought Groom Lake was a long way it'd be a hell of a trek to Edwards to fetch them :laugh:

Edited by SayinNuthin

It's possible that there are aliens deep inside the Groom Lake/Area 51 facility frozen in stasis and could be persuaded to fly the ship to the Moon in return for letting the alien go once on the Moon. I mean a little C4 hidden aboard the alien craft as it takes off would prevent the alien from using the ship to contact more of his/her people and plan an invasion.

Introducing the concept of statis or cold-sleep to the game allows you to sidestep almost any of your problems of 'explaining' the presence of a moonbase (and anyone you care to put in it). Recalling an episode of Star Trek TNG where they discovered a Dyson Sphere and a crashed ship where Scottie had stored himself and his crewmates in the patten buffers of the teleport system... Very cute :laugh:

And then anyone, pre-war US or Chinese military personnel for instance, revived from centuries long cold-sleep would be almost certainly be suspicions and possible hostile to strangers, disorientated and perhaps desperately bent on following their obsolete orders - such as nuking parts of the earth...

If the NCR's activity had been detected by automatic monitors on the moon, those systems might revive the base personnel and OCI might in turn detected the activity, and then call on the courier to solve the problem... Cold sleep solves almost all of the issues for you I think.