Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

I don't know how huge complex mods using FNIS or other third party software will even work anymore. If even one of them disagree with this new Steam stuff, it all goes down the toilets. I have not heard of SKSE authors but there's that to consider too. Which means most of the stuff that's going to be sold is going to be armors and swords, meshes that mod authors who build huge complex mods often need.

This whole thing endangers the modding community as a whole by blocking and obstructing the relationship between authors. I don't even know how I'm supposed to go about this thing if I want to finish my quest line based new race project. If even one of the armor authors I'm working with are subscribing to this thing, I'm pooped. I'd need to ask my users to buy those armors to fully use the end project which is free ? That's nonsensical.

Or do I finish my project and then update it every week, deleting the armor records on the CK every time a batch of armor goes to Steam ?

And if one of those authors graciously lend me the armors I need, I'd have to go through all that DMCA stuff, agree to I don't know how many bollocks which stipulate that I am using someone else's property which is Valve's property which is Bethesda's property ?

Here we are gentlemen. The moment where you pay for updates on your paid mod which needs a paid DLC of your paid game. Whatever.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24571614. #24572234, #24572374, #24572469, #24572589, #24572669, #24572829, #24572854, #24572864, #24572984, #24572994, #24573004, #24573029, #24573229, #24573324, #24573399, #24573439, #24573784, #24573939, #24574029, #24574129, #24574984, #24575109, #24575614, #24575844, #24575849 are all replies on the same post.

KaiserDeathIV wrote:
speash wrote: Signed
ShwayNorris wrote: Signed
Kerros wrote: Signed, thank you for the link
zzjay wrote: Will do tomorrow..cant open from phone :(.

I doubt it'll help...we can simply not buy em.
groupthinker1984 wrote: Way too soon for this kind of knee jerk reaction.

I agree that this COULD be absolutely disastrous. Or it could be wonderful. Or somehow both at the same time.
MrSpanky wrote: signed. passed the 7500 mark
Rigmor wrote: Signed
Ultrametal wrote: This means nothing to Valve, they just gonna discourage people from making mods, since anyone can steal the idea and sell it with a different color.
softail4life wrote: Signed...thank you
Mindprobe24 wrote: Signed (8305)
shaithlis wrote: Signed
jradik wrote: signed
popcorn71 wrote: Sites not loading. Too many people trying to sing?
BFNord wrote: and signed. and forwarded the link to a few others. f*#@ that noise.
StackEmHigh wrote: Signed.
akkalat85 wrote: Signing...
popcorn71 wrote: Signed.
danjal wrote: Frankly, I'm not deadset against paid mods.

What I would demand is that Valve gets its ass in gear and does some quality control/assurance...
Not to mention, if I'd pay for a mod, then I would want the mod to work - which means that Steam Workshop needs to start providing adequate tools and support there aswell.

Untill such a time as that starts happening - they do not deserve this financial split.
Mindprobe24 wrote: 8,741 supporters, comme on people! SPREAD!
bloodwolf13 wrote: Signed and deleted all mods from the Valve, I was going to buy Farcry4 from there but now No way are they going to get another Dime from me.
derek6688 wrote: Signed. (9,584)
deadblood01 wrote: signed and shared
jradik wrote: 10,000 signature milestone
badiyee85 wrote: signed
guiaugu132 wrote: 10,232

Signed, 10,284.

It seems absolutely pointless to me. The only people who would purchase them are the people who don't know about the nexus, and if they don't know about the nexus, then quite frankly I don't think they should be modding their game yet, especially Skyrim. What's the point in, say (I am not personally attacking this mod author), buying ineed off of the workshop when you could just come here and download it for free anyway?

I don't like where this is going. If anything, it should be replaced by a "donate" button like we have here on the nexus, where you can still get mods for free, but can support the modder by donating.

What they are trying to do is what they have done with CSGO, DotA and TF2, and that is understandable, those games thrived off of it since then. But this is a single player game with an already established set of ways to get mods (from the nexus, for free.... the workshop for skyrim on steam isn't great since updates can f*#@ up the game, as Skyrim is usually heavily modded with loads of other mods). I am really, really scared for where this is going.

In response to post #24574734. #24574879, #24574969, #24574999, #24575194, #24575309, #24575774 are all replies on the same post.

Apollodown wrote:
akkalat85 wrote: I love you Apollodown. You are respected for your work, and your stance on this.
CaedesAposis wrote: Now goddammit Apollodown, now I have to respect you even more for your work. How the HELL do you do that?
colinswrath wrote: Dear god thank you. The greed in this world is unreal, charging for mods we don't even know what the files consist of, or even the quality of the mod.
CaptainGame wrote: So shines a good deed in a weary world.

I think this whole scheme is going to fall through simply because of sorts like you - sorts who are either doing this for the art alone or want a more fair and reasonable method of receiving compensation. They can't get you to make DLC for them if you don't let them.

Godspeed.
guiaugu132 wrote: Here Apollodown , have a kudos :)
Tantalus010 wrote: Thank you, man.

As someone who mostly downloads but has made a few mods of his own (though none anywhere near as good as yours), I am also against selling my work, and I'm even more against someone else profiting off of it. It's very shady to me for Valve and Bethesda to take a (majority, even) cut of someone else's work. Yes, the mods wouldn't be possible without Bethesda's tools and wouldn't be sold on the marketplace without Valve. However, you don't see the clerk at an artist's shop asking for a cut of the proceeds of every work of art created with one of their paintbrushes. That's just lunacy. If Bethesda wanted to charge for the Creation Kit, I would understand and be okay with that - but taking a cut of every mod sold is flat out wrong.

You are as awesome as your mods :)

In response to post #24574214. #24574274, #24575204, #24575519, #24575539, #24575649 are all replies on the same post.

nathanj wrote:
marthgun wrote: lol sure he will.

hey guise pay for it nao it will be FREE laterz kek.

if that happens even once i'll be surprised.
Gribbleshnibit8 wrote: Wouldn't it make more sense to charge for the complete non-buggy version instead?
drwebs wrote: So he is charging for bugged out junk content? Right, that was his mater plan all along.

He is just like the rest, he is just using his words to cleverly disguise it.
Blueflyingbanana wrote: What's "complete" Gribble ? A mod such as those Chesko makes is not "complete", it's a patchwork made with/using a lot of stuff from other mods. If even one of the authors of said mod disagree with the paid bull like fore did not even 10 hours ago, the mod is even less complete than before. Nothing in this whole stuff makes any sense.
marthgun wrote: but what about compatibility? what about beth updates that routinely break games?

thats alot of work for 99 dollars. alot of work minus a community that will point this out. They will point them here. and i would be pissed if I were the nexus. I don't think this thing has been thought through at all, they just saw dollar signs and baited some people over to their side. Chesko said he signed some non-disclosure about this. God knows what else we don't know about.

he and isoku probably got a bunch of money to make have their mods released on the workshop first theyre both well known and good modders if a lesser known modder wouldve released their mods exclusively noone wouldve cared

In response to post #24575764. #24575884, #24576014 are all replies on the same post.

dinofinder wrote:
CaedesAposis wrote: So what prevented you from using the donate button on this website previously? Hmmm?
Explosive196 wrote: Then feel free to donate to the author. Nobody should be forced to pay for a mod.

I must agree with Caedes. We as a community share the same amount of blame as Valve and Bethesda. If we donated more often, then the modders would not risk being ostracised by the community and would keep their mods free.

In response to post #24575764. #24575884, #24576014, #24576019 are all replies on the same post.

dinofinder wrote:
CaedesAposis wrote: So what prevented you from using the donate button on this website previously? Hmmm?
Explosive196 wrote: Then feel free to donate to the author. Nobody should be forced to pay for a mod.
freedom613 wrote: I must agree with Caedes. We as a community share the same amount of blame as Valve and Bethesda. If we donated more often, then the modders would not risk being ostracised by the community and would keep their mods free.

Seriously there has been a "donate" button here for ages. I've given. You set yourself up for that question.

In response to post #24574924. #24574934, #24575224, #24575324, #24575809 are all replies on the same post.

Explosive196 wrote:
starfis wrote: This will make Nexus stronger.
ScrollTron1c wrote: Until Skyrim only launches with mods from the official Steam Workshop.
Lordkabal26 wrote: Until Authors start pulling mods from the Nexus in favor of paywalling them. Valve and Bethesda need to be ashamed of this.
Explosive196 wrote: That's pretty much my point. What's to stop greedy modders from pulling their mods from the Nexus to make some bucks on Steam? The author of Wet and Cold is no longer supporting what he has here, who's next?

Authors have already started pulling and hiding their mods from the Nexus.