Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

This is why I truly believe Nexus is the best place for TES mods. Not only has it been supporting mods for TES for a very long time, long before Steam, but it continues to do so in a medium in which everybody is welcome and no one is excluded.

Valve/Bethesda's actions are clearly motivated by corporate greed more than "benefiting" fellow modders. This merely reinforces how it's important to support platforms such as Nexus and keep modding for gamers, not corporations trying to cash in.

I'd just like to thank Dark0ne and his team, once again, for all the time and effort they have put into this website over the years to give us all the benefit and wonder of modding. You truly revolutionized my Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim experience. It is largely because of mods that I hold TES in such high esteem to begin with, and that is in large part due to your efforts.

Thank you.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would valve and bethesda do this? For money? Ha they both make millions if not more. Im with other people on this when i say i use 150+ mods on my skyrim over multiple playthroughs so imagine how much that would cost me if they all suddenly get greedy. And i can truthfully say that if this is going to be a thing in the new TES and Fallout games, then i most likely wont get them unless the community here stays loyal and doesnt go bananas over a measly 25% cut from the Workshop.

In response to post #24562434.

phellen wrote:

Called it, for sure.

I commented on that post, that all one had to do to see the havoc that for-pay modding can wreak, is to look at The Sims franchise and all the nonsense that sprung up there. Accusations and counter-accusations ad nauseum.

Today, I see the same gold-plated wedge driven right into the Skyrim scene.

Thanks Valve, thanks Bethesda.

In response to post #24562294.

JohnZonbi wrote:

They're not worse than EA, they're on the same level now and complete retards at that... Just look at CS:GO. Pistols being overpowered? Ok, we'll nerf a sniper rifle and buff SMGs, problem solved... Oh, you don't like the new update and the fact that the pistols are still OP? We'll release some new skins so you can spend even more money on the games, since we also increase the price of keys... What the f*#@ is that even supposed to be? They have no idea how to interact with the community and react to what the community tells them. Also, because of the shitty shares that modders get, the mods will have ridiculous prices... Mods adding 1 new weapon for 1€? Well f*#@ me, I think I'll pass on that.. Why doesn't Bethesda just hire these guys and then release mods as DLC, it would be more understandable as they would probably be priced much better.

In response to post #24561869. #24562264 is also a reply to the same post.

PyroDonkey wrote:
Dark0ne wrote: Donation options are already available to mod authors on the site. Now that Bethesda has signalled their openness to paid modding and mod authors making money from their work we'll be implementing a few new things to make the donation options a bit more prominent.

That's good. I haven't noticed the donation button until you mentioned it. I think a donation option is much better than the 25% creators will get from the Valve option.

Short term this is going to make a lot of people very angry and the workshop will be filled with crappy mods charging absurd prices and unscrupulous individuals selling content they don't own.

However once the dust settles I believe this will be largely a good thing. The authors who consistently produce quality content and charge fair prices will be more successful than those who don't and find it lucrative enough to spend more time making mods. Bethesda will have a financial incentive to more closely maintain the Creation Kit and it's documentation and possibly even find the time to fix long standing engine bugs which have bothered modders for years.

There will be one month of chaos followed by several months of muttered curses and grumbling, but a year from now I expect to see a fairly healthy marketplace.

I'm all for supporting modders, and I actually like the "Pay what you'd like" feature, although it not having a zero or free selection among it automatically nixes my interest in some items (I'd drop a donation for something like immersive weapons, not so much for a single weapon).

The other thing that worries me is the limited 24 hour window for testing a mod and getting a refund if it doesn't work well. This pretty much limits things, as there are mods that I use, which I won't see benefit from them until later in my play through.

As a result, I'll end up avoiding mods that I don't feel like I'll be able to evaluate properly.

Not the worst idea I've seen, although it could use some alterations.