All Newbies Read This Before Posting

Switch

The rules however create a catch-22: If you have a sibling or relative that shares a computer with you, they have to get a separate account. However, thanks to the rules, the result is that the multi-account rule gets broken because both usernames will point to the same IP. Perhaps this is something that needs to be cleaned up?

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "no two accounts on same IP" is not, in fact, a Rule.

It is an indicator that someone may be violating the "single account per person" Rule, and we do ask that people legitimately in that situation identify themselves to the Staff. But if both users behave themselves appropriately, it won't ever even be an issue! :thumbsup:

The safest thing to do is to just notify a staff member of it, and that staff member will then put a note on your account as well as the account of any people in the household stating that they are in fact used by different people. :)

• 3 weeks later...

... I am willing to sacrifice my freedom of speech ...

Unfortunately, that is not anywhere near an accurate statement. There is no "Freedom of Speech" in a forum. The only "rule" that applies is the golden rule; "He who pays the gold, rules." In other words, someone is paying to keep this forum online. They have the right to require anyone who wishes to join and interact on their forum to meet whatever standards they set down.

I have found though, that most successful fora usually set broad "guidelines" and interfere as little as possible.

New chapter added which clarifies our position on multiple accounts (e.g. not allowed) ...

When I register for a new forum my preferred usernames are "Spock" and "SpockST" in that order. Both were denied to me so, at the time, I "assumed" that someone else had taken the usernames. Just now I did a quick search for forum members with those usernames and wasn't able to find any. Does that mean that the usernames have been banned for some reason? If so, I am a bit disappointed as I think my reasons for wishing to use the username is valid … but then again, I have learned in my few years on this planet to live with disappointment. :wink: Now I'm just curious.

The responses seem to be going all over the place with discussions about the difference between flaming and trolling and then on to one-liners being Spam, etc. I think I should stop here except for one last comment. In one of the forums I frequent, we don't use "Thread Necromancy", we call it "Necro-posting". Somehow, to me, it seems to make more sense that way.

BTW, reading all the posts from 29 October 2003 until 08 March 2013 took a bit of time!

[Added - don't want to bump ;)]

OK, it appears that I am in fact also SpockST. No wonder it wouldn't allow me to create a new account with that username. In view of the discussion here, I have submitted a request to combine these two accounts under the SpockST username. If that is not possible, then I have asked for this (new) account to be banned and I will continue on with the old one.

Sorry for being such a pain ...

Edited by ViningC

... it appears that I am in fact also SpockST. ...

I am posting so I can keep track of any interesting posts I've made. The above account will be "going away" at my request and due to the forum TOS and I want to be able to continue monitoring certain topics.

Just wish I had realized I had this account already before I started the new one. :rolleyes:

Hello, just a quick question.

I searched on "edit" and "title" in this thread and didn't get any hits.

Is there a function to edit the title of a thread, in order to add info like "Problem Solved" or such in order to allow other readers to know there is useful data inside? Is it allowed if available?

Thanks