Fallout 4 mods are all owned by Bethesda, according to the EULA

GlassDeviant

"THE SOFTWARE UTILITIES, IF ANY.

If the Software makes available, as a separate downloadable installer, a level editor or other similar type tools, assets and other materials (the “Software Utilities”) that permit you to construct or customize new game levels and other related game materials for personal use in connection with the Software (“Customized Game Materials”), then in the event you access such Software Utilities, the use of the Software Utilities is subject to the following additional terms, conditions and restrictions:

(a) All Customized Game Materials created by you are exclusively owned by LICENSOR and/or its licensors (as the case may be) and you hereby transfer, assign and convey to LICENSOR all right, title and interest in and to the Customized Game Materials and LICENSOR and its permitted licensors may use any Customized Game Materials made publicly available to you for any purpose whatsoever, including but not limited to for purposes of advertising and promoting the Software"

So now if you use whatever equivalent to the CK that is provided for Fallout 4, Bethesda/Zenimax owns youur mod, and can do what it pleases with your mod, including sell it and keep 100% of the money.

Of course you can continue to make and give away mods freely as before, but they've given themselves a massive loophole for paid mods to be sold at their discretion and to their 100% benefit.

Nope. That's generic legalese you'll find on pretty much every single game.

The EULA for the CK is what governs mods with Bethesda's stuff. Wait for that to come out and then you'll know.

Generic or not, it is what it is. What they end up doing with it is another matter.

Bethesda has never tried to screw the modding community only support it. technically they currently own all existing mods for their games but share ownership with the creators. so i wouldnt worry about it; if they tried to cut the modder out and sell the mods as their own the scandal alone could destroy them.

Generic or not, it is what it is. What they end up doing with it is another matter.

Well, the only aspect of what you say being true is that UNTIL the CK comes out, this EULA is what we're stuck with. So yeah, I suppose you could count it as that. The same conditions existed for ANY mod not made using the CK though, for all of their previous titles going all the way back to Arena.

technically they currently own all existing mods for their games but share ownership with the creators.

No, that's never been true, but that's an entirely different argument for a different time :tongue:

IIRC this was the same for fallout 3, Vegas, Oblivion, Skyrim . . .

Happens every damn game. I'd say those that don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it but this is usually a brand new idea from the newly misinformed. Modding history it seems is doomed to repeat itself.

I remember the licence granting them to the right to do whatever they wanted with mods but stopping short of taking ownership.

that's what i thought honestly, the assets used belong to them but anything new made with 3rd party resources were property of the modder if i am recalling right.