⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Why do people hate Fallout 4 so much?

DreadedKat

I'm one of few that didn't buy Fallout 4 straight away.

Why?

So I could read a ton of mixed reviews for the game that I, like many others, have spent years waiting for.

I've read very mixed feelings about the graphics, control problems and claims of Fallout 4 not being a true RPG.

On the other hand, a lot of people have called it amazing, fantastic and praised Bethesa for releasing such an epic.

To the people loving it, this is good news! Play and enjoy the game instead of telling people who aren't as thrilled as you that they are wrong.

To the people hating it, did you really expect release day perfection? That doesn't exist, be serious. Future mods, patches and DLC will gradually fix any complaints..

I'm still very much looking forward to playing Fallout 4, and I'm eager to see what the modders amoungst us will be able to construct for the new Fallout experience.

I very much enjoy seeing at least some people with level heads.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's simply not an RPG, the game has absolutely ZERO soul, exactly like Fallout 3. Every character is a wasted opportunity, hell, an unnuked city is totally and completely wasted. Bethesda learned exactly nothing from New Vegas, which among other things:

Had well drawn character arcs for followers

Different ammo types for various guns

A truly blank character that you could justify in anything you wanted as far as skill setup and motivation

Settlement placement that makes sense

It felt full, like something actually happened between 2077 and the day you started the adventure

Evidence of post war recovery to any extent

Compelling main arc that didn't force you to concentrate on it solely from a logical point of view (revenge can be put aside, finding a lost child cannot)

Beef Gates are well marked, and you don't need to shoot your way from point A to point B as a matter of course

Then there's the main character themselves, there's quite a lot to them that is totally wasted and not very well suited to post-war heroics:

Wife is a lawyer as a opposed to veteran husband, which makes me think I really, REALLY need to be playing the male character as he can justify the amount of asskicking needed to survive this game

There is no time for mourning the death of a spouse, no support, and going from suburban dweller to badass killer in the course of one day only makes sense if you're roleplaying a psychopath. The death of a loved spouse is something people never emotionally recover from, but we see no tears, no breakdown, no human emotion whatsoever.

No sense of betrayal/confusion as to why Vault-tec would do something like this experiment

No concern there's no US anymore, even after 200 years

Everything in Boston would have been picked clean within 200 weeks of 2077, there would be nothing left old after 200 years. The Hub from Fallout 1 was more rebuilt and modern than Diamond City

I never roleplay myself. I consider it cheap, but at least in Fallout 3 I could pretend my Lone Wanderer spent a lot of time in VR, a gamer trained by her games. There is no wiggle room for that kind of justification in Fallout 4. The couple clearly aren't preppers nor do they have time to game with a less than year old son. This is going to be the last Bethesda game I ever buy. Mods can't give a story soul, the most they can do is give a soul to their own story (Witness the Someguy Series in New Vegas or Alien Resurrection part 1 in Fallout 3)

The lack of roleplaying, or real diplomacy is really the tip of what we already saw in Fallout 3: a bland, humorless, and thoroughly campy vision of the post apocalypse. As a game, it's a decent game. But it's a piss poor excuse for storytelling, and in an RPG the gaming is ancillary to the story.

There's no reason to care about the spouse, you're not given a chance to get to know him or her, same with the child. The story is unfolding around events I don't care about and concerns people I care even less about, so what am I doing any of it for? a question I asked myself shortly before shutting the game down.

As a fallout game, it follows the previous ones and is what it is

what I dislike is that this is another softyware house that has kinda abondoned its PC roots and has dumbed everything down so it will run on a console.

Console programmers need taking out of the studio and taught some PC skills, Bethesda has gone backwards in reguards to its knowlage of PC programming, I played oblivion with a 3 monitor setup, yet Skyrim would not run it across 3 monitors because of the way it was impliment for consoles, they said it could not be fixed, yet a guy in New Zealand, in his bedroom, had a fix out within 48 hours. ( they do not want to fix things if they can get away with it)

........ Bethesda don't really care, Fallout has always been a sucess and as long as they get their cash for it, it will always be a AA console game and not a AAA PC game.

There is no time for mourning the death of a spouse, no support, and going from suburban dweller to badass killer in the course of one day only makes sense if you're roleplaying a psychopath. The death of a loved spouse is something people never emotionally recover from, but we see no tears, no breakdown, no human emotion whatsoever.

No sense of betrayal/confusion as to why Vault-tec would do something like this experiment

The above really needs a DLC, its begging for it, a mod if not but i'd really like the developers to give some closure to this. Sure a guy shot your wife, but what about the people behind your experiment? Where is the closure on the guys that locked you up there to start with?

Maybe its in the story, i'm only at 39 hours if so I apologize, but if not lets get a mod where you find the people responsible, if no DLC is planned. How will they be alive? Well either they are robots, the descendants, synths or better yet frozen themselves!

It's simply not an RPG, the game has absolutely ZERO soul, exactly like Fallout 3. Every character is a wasted opportunity, hell, an unnuked city is totally and completely wasted. Bethesda learned exactly nothing from New Vegas, which among other things:

Had well drawn character arcs for followers

Different ammo types for various guns

A truly blank character that you could justify in anything you wanted as far as skill setup and motivation

Settlement placement that makes sense

It felt full, like something actually happened between 2077 and the day you started the adventure

Evidence of post war recovery to any extent

Compelling main arc that didn't force you to concentrate on it solely from a logical point of view (revenge can be put aside, finding a lost child cannot)

Beef Gates are well marked, and you don't need to shoot your way from point A to point B as a matter of course

Then there's the main character themselves, there's quite a lot to them that is totally wasted and not very well suited to post-war heroics:

Wife is a lawyer as a opposed to veteran husband, which makes me think I really, REALLY need to be playing the male character as he can justify the amount of asskicking needed to survive this game

No concern there's no US anymore, even after 200 years

Everything in Boston would have been picked clean within 200 weeks of 2077, there would be nothing left old after 200 years. The Hub from Fallout 1 was more rebuilt and modern than Diamond City

I never roleplay myself. I consider it cheap, but at least in Fallout 3 I could pretend my Lone Wanderer spent a lot of time in VR, a gamer trained by her games. There is no wiggle room for that kind of justification in Fallout 4. The couple clearly aren't preppers nor do they have time to game with a less than year old son. This is going to be the last Bethesda game I ever buy. Mods can't give a story soul, the most they can do is give a soul to their own story (Witness the Someguy Series in New Vegas or Alien Resurrection part 1 in Fallout 3)

The lack of roleplaying, or real diplomacy is really the tip of what we already saw in Fallout 3: a bland, humorless, and thoroughly campy vision of the post apocalypse. As a game, it's a decent game. But it's a piss poor excuse for storytelling, and in an RPG the gaming is ancillary to the story.

I agree with this 100% someone on their team needs to hire this man, or me, or anyone for that matter, who can see this kind of reflection in the missing gaps of the story, quests and dialogue. I am still putting my finger on the problems with settlements or rather locations, I think placement is definitely part of it, how dense they are is another, but more how much I remember them. I don't for the majority, a handful so far have been great but most are pretty bland.

Much makes little sense, that's okay I can suspend disbelief but give the main character more than 5 minutes to process the death of the wife and get some damned revenge on the people that put the experiment up in the first place!

Edited by Markmid

As a fallout game, it follows the previous ones and is what it is

what I dislike is that this is another softyware house that has kinda abondoned its PC roots and has dumbed everything down so it will run on a console.

Console programmers need taking out of the studio and taught some PC skills, Bethesda has gone backwards in reguards to its knowlage of PC programming, I played oblivion with a 3 monitor setup, yet Skyrim would not run it across 3 monitors because of the way it was impliment for consoles, they said it could not be fixed, yet a guy in New Zealand, in his bedroom, had a fix out within 48 hours. ( they do not want to fix things if they can get away with it)

........ Bethesda don't really care, Fallout has always been a sucess and as long as they get their cash for it, it will always be a AA console game and not a AAA PC game.

This has always been soemthing I'm kind of confused on. I migrated from console to PC because of modding but is there some intrinsic quality that differentiates a console mindset and a PC mindset? Just something I"m curious about.

I wanted to like Fallout 4, I really did.

I couldn't play it for more than an hour before the dialogue system made me exit the game out of disgust. I thought Bioware's dialogue wheels were bad, but Fallout 4's is just unintuitive and confusing. I have absolutely no idea what my character is going to say because none of the options ever convey the proceeding dialogue. Sometimes it's just a single word prompt like "Sarcastic". What the f*#@ does that even mean?

It is impossible to actually roleplay in this game unless you completely avoid talking to people. It felt less like I was playing a character and more like I was steering someone else's character around.

This has always been soemthing I'm kind of confused on. I migrated from console to PC because of modding but is there some intrinsic quality that differentiates a console mindset and a PC mindset? Just something I"m curious about.

Well, while I'm not a huge gamer, PC seems to be more hardcore than consoles, which are things moderately involved people play for the games for a little bits at a time. PC users are more likely to remember late 90s RPGs which were heavily story based, with graphics and even gameplay as secondaries, mostly due to PC performance at the time. Storytelling in those games had to be good, because there wasn't anything else to sell it. Games were long, involved matter that were engrossing like books, with very little (mandatory) grinding. In any case all those skills they "Streamlined" out? Those were important; they were little skills you had just when you needed them, little ways to get XP without killing, ways that could mark your character as a player in the world.

Look at New Vegas. Yes it came to console, but I think when people say PC game versus console, they mean PC is more like Vegas: subtle, complicated. You could repair Vault 22's elevator for faster getting around the Vault, you could do a quest like Not worth a hill of corn and beans where there was no reward, simply because you're a nice guy, and in any case could fix replicator with the jury rigging perk. The only thing I wanted was more dialogue to give the food staff an invoice for what was needed to overhaul it properly You could perform surgery and save lives in Camp Forlorn Hope and even reprogram a sexbot.

Fallout 4 also while simplfying things also makes it real hard to be able to carve out a talented character until very late in it's game. It would help if they gave a way to tag safes and computers you can't hack yet into MISC QUESTS so you could go back to them eventually, or changed the minigame so you could open anything but it would take a lot more time.And there's SO much shooting. I don't play an RPG to shoot 90% of the time. Shooting for me is frankly filler, and what I do play for, helping people and talking with people, has been replaced with Bioware's incompetent cousin of a dialogue tree. This is the first Fallout game I've felt scared to be sarcastic in because it often cuts off other lines I wanted to say. There's no nuance to this game.

I didn't like this game either even though I'm a big fan of the series. I found the building thingy tedious and boring, I hated the UI, the hovering menu on containers is not that convenient, all those menus for crafting are too much. The aiming feels weird and what's the point of that giant crosshair? Now the VATS slows time instead of freezing it meanwhile using your pipboy to eat, drink, change weapon, armor, take a shot and switch on the radio pauses the game, makes no sense. You can't rebind all the keys, some of them are hardcoded, I even had to add english language to my system so I can switch from azerty to qwerty keyboard just so I can use the movement keys while on the building menu. If only they kept the karma system and the skills. Exploration is nice but feels like a Fallout 3.5 without the ambiance F3 had, I'm so disappointed, I think I'll wait a year or two then try again with the DLCs and probably some mods, for the time being I'm done with this game.

I love bethesda and probably always will based on the simple fact that they love modders.

Some people find this game subpar based on recent releases(Witcher 3) but I don't.

I am completely enjoying it other than the fact codsworth hates everything I do. ;)

I don't think you can compare modded skyrim to FO4 fairly. However vanilla FO4 is 10x better than vanilla Skyrim. So, in my mind..Modded FO4 is going to be down right amazing.

There have been some s#*! releases lately but no matter how you feel about bethesda, you cannot deny the fact that they not only allow modding but encourage you to do so.

I promise you, everything you hate now will be modded away and I love it!