Why do people hate Fallout 4 so much?

DreadedKat

Mass effect is an RPG though and it kind of the same.

Mass Effect is not even that much of an RPG by the time ME2 came out, it went full on action cover-based shooting with RPG-lite elements.

Fallout's strangely gone down this route, even down to the dialogue which even Mass Effect did better. At least you had a wheel of options more than four, and you could often ask simple questions for expositions sake and then come back to the progressive dialogue choices without moving forward.

Fallout 4 doesn't do this, and I find it pretty annoying, if you want to ask a question, the dialogue moves forward anyway, some will call this more dynamic, I disagree, it's a compromise for the 4 option system, it chooses to bypass further questioning for the sake of giving you equal options as you had before you even asked the question.

Also, I've found some quests have given me the absolute illusion of choice, Diamond City blues for example comes to a point in the quest where I can spare someone for giving me information only for this decision to be completely taken away from my control and resolving itself in the same direction as me just choosing to kill them.

So what do you think it means for TES VI?

Exactly what Skyrim did.

Take the skills and RPG elements you've had from the previous games and cut them in half. That's precisely what happened from Oblivion to Skyrim.

Bethesda calls this streamlining.

and somehow thay've still managed to be betyter than Lionhead about it. at what point will thay be done "streamlining"?

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and somehow thay've still managed to be betyter than Lionhead about it. at what point will thay be done "streamlining"?

When it's just an action game where you run around doing missions and hitting stuff. I thought Bethesda's decision for their games would be this, they'd turn Elder Scrolls into just an exploration sandbox action game and Fallout would be their RPG pillar. Thus appeasing two different markets who have interests in that genre.

Which would yes, suck for TES fans, but at least the masses can go to something they like and RPG players would have something they like. Everybody wins.

Instead both games are going the same direction. That is to say, no direction, something for everybody.

You can't please everyone. And now look what's happened, people are pissed about the state of both franchises for different reasons. I mean look at TES Online, they wanted to blend Skyrim with MMORPG's and look how that's turned out. Nobody's on board with it.

Maybe they thought they didn't?

The more I play, it seems like fo4 was more something they thought they done right than dumped down. One can found RPG elements here and there. Maybe the wheel hides RPG options when sought?

They did say after all they wanted voiced pc for the sake of improved writing impact. That harder and more tasking than the normal approach. The voice actors also have said they have done since the scripts were done years ago.

We 80% of the bulk buyers stop being the stream kind.

When it's just an action game where you run around doing missions and hitting stuff. I thought Bethesda's decision for their games would be this, they'd turn Elder Scrolls into just an exploration sandbox action game and Fallout would be their RPG pillar. Thus appeasing two different markets who have interests in that genre

Odd, I always thought it the opposite. Fo has more exploring charm than TES.

So what do you think it means for TES VI?

Hard to know. Maybe one of the two:

Fo4 and morrowind love child, better gameplay and quests. The writing team has been fired and replaced with good ones that aim to make quests that fits all types of players and moral. It safe to say that there will be no voiced pc.

The one we will all fear. Enough said.

I love TES more and it the true beth baby. It like my star wars. Of they made it worse, I will have no idea what to do with my gaming life. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Do you know what all should do? We must make a petition about this. I'm not joking. Try to get as many as possible and to do it to make some kind of uproar.

RPG - Role Playing Game. Sure, there are many different styles and types of RPGs. Since in this game (just like in Skyrim and the other Fallout and ES games) I have the ability to climb into my character's head like a virtual meat set of power armor and just do whatever I (or the character) wants to do I will indeed call this an RPG. In fact I like this style for the same reason I like Skyrim - every single quest is optional...even the 'main quest'. I can walk into the world and play it how I want. Do I have to sacrifice a tightly-woven intricate narrative? Yes, sure I do. The trade-off is that I can have adventures and stories the devs never dreamed of because I can do whatever strikes my fancy.

Example: I loved Dragon Age: Origins. It had a wonderful story. I played it once and have never gone back to it. Even with different characters the story is basically the same. Traditional RPGs are the same way; same story, just with a different character or play style. With these games, every single game is different. To use Skyrim as another example, four years later I can still see something new or have something different happen to a character.

If you play these games with a checklist you're missing the largest portion of the game and most of where the best fun is. Let the character himself show you his personal story.

You do have a point.

One can dodge the main quest by simply not talking to codsworth. You can get power armor from other places. But many wish to offer more freedom in the start. Many want the charm of hollow, unvoiced past. Like Skyrim and foNV. Others wish for more build up to get items like PA, since it so much more atmospheric and better now. Others hate being leaders of factions swiftly.

I am quite pleased the way Fallout 4 turned out the atmosphere of Boston is extremly more beliveable then the previous 2 fallout games, its allot more stable, and has allot less bugs then what fallout 3, and new vegas had. The only downside is that the story could have been more intresting, an effective way in maybe dealing with this might have been in trying to create a multi story similar to GTA V only that it would be more beliveable if the characters dident cross paths. Allthough doing this would turn out to be quite expensive.

Its as others have pointed out that its quite hard to please everyone.

Edited by mpaquasar

I am quite pleased the way Fallout 4 turned out the atmosphere of Boston is extremly more beliveable then the previous 2 falllout games, its allot more stable, and has allot less bugs then what fallout 3, and new vegas had. The only downside is that the story could have been more intresting, an effective way in maybe dealing with this might have been in trying to create a multi story similar to GTA V only that it would be more beliveable if the characters dident cross paths. Allthough doing this would turn out to be quite expensive.

What is it that puts you off by the dialogue system?

I am quite pleased the way Fallout 4 turned out the atmosphere of Boston is extremly more beliveable then the previous 2 falllout games, its allot more stable, and has allot less bugs then what fallout 3, and new vegas had. The only downside is that the story could have been more intresting, an effective way in maybe dealing with this might have been in trying to create a multi story similar to GTA V only that it would be more beliveable if the characters dident cross paths. Allthough doing this would turn out to be quite expensive.

What is it that puts you off by the dialogue system?

See my post at the bottom of page 10 for why I (and others) may believe the dialogue system to be not the greatest.