⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Why do people hate Fallout 4 so much?

DreadedKat

I got through the main quest and saw one of the endings, but it'll be a long time before I see any of the others, I can't face going through it again. I really want to like the game, but there are too many things dragging it down, the awful UI, the incessant shooting, the logic failures and a dialogue system where I have no idea what my character is going to say.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have now been playing it for like 49 hours and i have only done 4 quest of the main quest i been looting and building more or less all 40+ hours and i have to say i like Fallout 4 yes the graphics can look like Skyrim at time and some times it looks better its up and downs and yes it have its bugs and Glitch wish you can check out on my

homepage but beside all that i think Fallout 4 is a great game what im looking forward to is if someone make mods for the building system that would be great

Edited by kibasnowpaw

I would sure download a mod that 1-bytes all the protagonists voice files so PC is a mute again, then redesigns the dialogue wheel into a FO3/NV-esque cascading menu system that shows exactly what your PC will say to NPC. All the lines are in the subtitles, so the meat is there, just need the potatoes and peas.

As it stands, I already got a refund from Steam for this game - and depending on what mods come out, I may purchase it again later at a discounted price.

>:(

I want to like this game, in fact I do, in many areas. This is a great shooter. It's the best combat has ever felt in any bethesda game and that's great. People have a hard time swallowing the pill of remotely any criticisms thrown to this game because it's launch week, and people don't want buyer's remorse.

Hey man, that's fine. Go enjoy your game. But you need to face the facts when talking about this game as not just a video game, as a FALLOUT game.

As a Fallout game, this is a step backwards. Bethesda has outright ignored everything that Obsidian did to improve on FO3's mechanics, this game has always been and should always be an RPG, it is unacceptable to me for a game to change its entire genre for the sake of streamlining and mainstream popularity with people who just can't get into RPG's with substance.

So let's go over the things I feel Bethesda has missed the mark on:

Technically speaking first of all this game is probably the buggiest, glitchiest game I have played all year. Before you begin, I am fully aware these things can be fixed, but I find it also pretty unacceptable for a AAA game, running on the exact same engine to have the amount of technical problems this game has on launch. Just because these problems can be fixed, doesn't mean I need to sit down and like it. When a game comes out, I would prefer it to work.

There's zero SLI support as of today, I run into glitches and bugs daily, and if you don't encounter them, good for you and consider yourself lucky. On PC, the mouse acceleration and framerate dives I experience in areas (More dense areas in the city) are random, and don't get me started on the framerate lock and it's reasoning behind it. The games animations are tied to the lock or it's VSync, this is inexcusable, it's amatuer, this is a video game tactic that's been done since the 80's and games nowadays do not tie their animations to framerate, they tie them to time itself. So if you unlock the framerate, turn off VSync (All things possible by gracious modders here at Nexus, and not by Bethesda simply thinking this through) you'll notice your character does everything faster and animations become more sped up as your FPS goes above 60. It's just plain technically bad developing.

The cons of the game itself are as such for me (I've played about 65 hours)

• No Skills. I understand they've been merged with perks but as I've played on I've gone from liking/accepting it, to thinking this is just streamlining for the sake of people who don't want to think much about their choices in character creation as much.
  • There are no S.P.E.C.I.A.L based or Skill based dialogue checks, it's just Charisma now. There's just no Intelligence checks, nothing skill based like if you were an expert at Demolitions etc. there's nothing. It's tied to Charisma which is simply a dice roll even at Maximum Charisma, visualized with colors. Well I feel bloody sorry for people with color blindness.
  • The dialogue "wheel" itself, is a massive step backward, and even hardcore fans of this game say this, and that's saying a lot. Because it's a massive step backward. A Lot of people claim this system branches dialogue more naturally, I think they're just not paying attention because instead of branching into different paths. 90% of the time all choices loop back into the same conclusion regardless of which one you take. Also just four options? C'mon.
  • "Sarcastic" That word right there explains enough to know this system is vague as all hell. Is that a sarcastic yes, no, maybe, or f*#@ off? Who knows. It's a complete gamble, you might just wanna be a funny guy but you end of coming across like a complete asshole. This is no fault of the voiced character I believe, it's more of how Bethesda designed this system AROUND the voiced character. The old games systems were fine, more deep and more importantly your choices mattered alot more and came across as more unique. The best example is the classic Fallout games.
  • A lack of a low INT dialogue, missed potential to bring this back, but I understand the reasoning.
  • No Karma or Reputation system. People argue decent points on why Karma is superfluous, but the reputation system in New Vegas was much more grounded and a better system entirely. It's not there.
  • No Survival Mode. The difficulty levels themselves are just lazy, just pure bullet sponge increments.
  • No Power Armour training. This would've just been a nice touch personally, I think as a design standpoint of spoiling players too early with their own power armour both without training and so soon is something that doesn't jive with me well. The slow burn would've been much more satisfying as a player.
  • So far to me, the morality of your choices are very black and white. You're either a goodie two shoes or a evil bastard. A well written story would've had both options but more importantly shades of moral grey. Witcher 3 and New Vegas off the top of my head do this very well.
  • The lack of any real roleplay, you're always going to be a soldier vet dad or a wife who was a doctor (I think) looking for your son. You can't escape that defined background as a character, and coupled with a predetermined voice completely eliminates any unique roleplay (What if I wanna be a crotchety old man?), even Fallout 3 did this better.
  • No companion wheel. I want my companions to be passive sometimes, or stay close or go away from me. All these things New Vegas did and modders for Skyrim fixed. Bethesda ignores this again.
  • Mip-mapping issues. This makes Unreal Engine 3's texture loading look masterful in comparison, textures take ages to load when you walk up to something, this even occurs on your players model.
  • The textures themselves feel very low. (Mods will fix it, yes, but don't make excuses for overlooked choices)
  • The AI when it works, is great! But companion AI sometimes feels a bit dumb and enemy AI isn't good when it doesn't work as intended.
  • You can't deny any quests. Preston Garvey will start mouthing off near you or some random dude will start talking to you even though I had no intention to talk to them and suddenly I have a quest, and my quest log is now full of stuff I wasn't ready to take on yet. Let me say no outright. Sometimes I don't want to do THAT quest now or ever.

I'm gonna get flak for all that, but people have made their complaints also, some very legitimate and you can't excuse.

As a final disclaimer, I enjoy this game. Alot. But there are moments when I get very disappointed thinking of what could have been. This all just feels very compromised for the sake of a larger audience which is also a console audience.

Personally I'm waiting on Obsidian to get their hands on this and iterate upon it like New Vegas. Because that was a game made for RPG players. This is a game made to appeal to everybody. Just like Skyrim was.

And this is all at the cost of moving away from what it is, and should be: an RPG.

Because it is a steaming pile of crap of a game, that's why.

Uninstalled without hesitation after 1 hours of playing. I'll never try it again.

Retarded writing, tasteless art direction, shitty visuals, pathetic animations, bad fps, glitches etc etc.

No, mods can't fix it this time. It's s that bad.

a new low for bethesta.

Edited by azaltan

Because it is a steaming pile of crap of a game, that's why.

Uninstalled without hesitation after 1 hours of playing. I'll never try it again.

Retarded writing, tasteless art direction, shitty visuals, pathetic animations, bad fps, glitches etc etc.

No, mods can't fix it this time. It's s that bad.

a new low for bethesta.

Then why are you in the fourms?

I believe there are basically 2 things about FO4 that will keep it from becoming a great game even when the modding community are done with it.

Thing one: the way the main quest relates to family. If you are single, you will probably feel detached from your character, which given the overall immersion level is the lesser of two evils. If, however, (like myself) you do have a family, the absurdity of not crying your eyes out over your kidnapped boy in every dialogue, of not putting all the resources at hand unto searching for him, etc. will likely antagonize you and your character to an extent when you will feel like saying ,'hey, I don't want to be this guy, I want to slowly kill him with a blunt tool and feed him to the molerats.'

Thing two: optimization. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my subjective impression when Skyrim came out was that on some detail level it was playable on a calculator. You could grab a two-year old office laptop and play the game at +/- console quality if you felt the need. FO4 has an inexplicable thirst for vram (with its appalling textures), loading times which make you doubt you have actually got it running on an SSD, reported fps drops of 15-20 in absolutely random places, and perhaps more that we have yet to discover. As is, the game will run smoothly on most rigs, that much is true. I expect, however, that without at least 4gb of vram you won't be able to use any high-res texture mods, and an ENB-like postprocessing mod won't be playable on anything less than a 980.

I have played about 50- hours and done the main quest. Loved every minute so far, Yessss there are some issues., but the game is WAY MORE stable than Skyrim and the load times have improved ten-fold.

By March 2016 the modders will have this game sorted (same with all bethesda games),,,

- I am going to put the game on hold until then and re-play through