I will not be buying this game until they release the toolset.

Sunsnub

I think beth knowns this. They said they wanted the new modding tool to be very easy to use, and I'm not sure, but I think they hinted that console users can use it on their platforms? It wasn't clear to me. But a super simplified GECK can be awesome. It would be better if it was upgraded the modding tool to be faster.

https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/657933435051360256

http://puu.sh/n3g9P/3393fede68.png

PC only.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, I don't think it's fair to expect Bethesda to release a game primarily as a modding platform. Modding should be an afterthought for them, in the sense that they should focus on making the actual game as good as possible first, and ensure that modding is as functional as possible once the tools do show up. So I don't mind them taking their time with this.

And anyway, Fallout 4 may be the first Bethesda game I've played where I haven't really found anything I want to mod. It's actually fun enough on it's own that I don't feel the need to add or alter anything, except maybe a few minor issues that I can live with for the time being.

I mean, my character is around level 50 and I haven't even found a reason to use console commands yet. That's how well this game has been performing for me.

Edited by Relativelybest

Odd: Since long, Beth KNOWS that Mods make their games, instead of their games.

If it wasn't for the likes of FO4Edit, FO4 would've died a quiet death.

I simply can't get the fact they wait this long to release their kit.

It should have been equally important as the game, so both would be released simultaneously.

Then again, of course, there is bureaucracy, where the simplest question takes forever to be answered...

Pointing here at tool parts that need to be released by company X, approval can take forever, and then some.

I think beth knowns this. They said they wanted the new modding tool to be very easy to use, and I'm not sure, but I think they hinted that console users can use it on their platforms? It wasn't clear to me. But a super simplified GECK can be awesome. It would be better if it was upgraded the modding tool to be faster.

http://puu.sh/n3g9P/3393fede68.png

PC only.

Thank for clearing that up Jim!

PC only.

Thank for clearing that up Jim!

It'll be interesting to see how they implement console modding, I doubt they'll just let people transfer stuff via USB and I doubt they'll let unchecked mods from Beths site onto the Xbox either, the Xbox is locked down tight and they're not going to risk any security breaches, it makes me wonder if the delay is them adding some kind of security feature. Then there are performance issues, consoles struggle to run the base game so it won't take much to turn the game into a slideshow, it could turn out to be an almighty fustercluck, much like the paid modding was.

It's probably going to be something where the Creation Kit interacts directly with Bethesda.net, through an export feature, and then there'll be a new menu in Fallout 4 on consoles and PC that let you install mods from Bethesda.net.

That way seemingly they can control better the content going to consoles.

I'm still fuzzy about how they expect this system to work though. How are they going to streamline load orders, game crashes, save corruption from mods on these consoles? It sounds like console users are going to find themselves destroying their games with no idea what they're doing.

Well, we all pay money to make Bethesda rich, so... I don't see the problem with OP's standpoint. We pay to get a product that produces at a certain level, that which is on par with what we expect in return. I've been modding since Morrowind, the CK (or as it was called back then, the Construction Set), was packaged with the game on the disc. Every game since has had a CS with it, and every game it takes longer to release.

Putting pressure on large companies who take advantage of the "casual gamer" stance is exactly what produces low-quality, low-effort, cash cow type of games.

If you want to wait to buy the game until there is modding tools, that's your prerogative. I for one, agree with you. I wish more people took their purchases more mindfully in this regard.

Honestly, I think you are very smart to wait. I was pretty excited and imagined they would have the GECK out by January. The fact that it keeps getting pushed back is starting to piss me off.

Don't get me wrong. The mods already out there are pretty amazing considering how limited FO4Edit really is.

That being the case the game is riddled with crap that doesn't look like it will be fixed any time soon.

Textures not rendering

As in Bethesda games before glitches abound above 30 fps

More time spent on console fixes

Low res everything

Horrible actor models (Why does everyone on this game use just their jaws to speak it looks like a retarded fish!)

The engine itself is really starting to show it's wear. The only way this will be fixed is GECK and F4SE to be completed. Even then I feel it will take some time.

This game really was half assed. I don't care what anyone says.

Also it's like no other Beth game before it. There really is only one real endpoint. You can be sarcastic but you can't be a flaming dick or even just a normal bad guy anymore. Your path was already decided. It feels like playing Mass Effect with all paragon options. Can you imagine that?

Just wait until the community fixes what Beth could not make right.

To Calerid... If you are playing FO4 on the PC, you do know you can fix ALL your texture problems (lo-res or not loading) by adding a few lines to your .ini file?

Under [general] in fallout4.ini add:

iTextureUpgradeDistance1=4800; 7500
iTextureUpgradeDistance0=2400; 5000
iTextureDegradeDistance1=6000; 7500
iTextureDegradeDistance0=3200; 5000

this forces the BEST textures to load almost all the time instantly. On a 1GB 6870, this was the ONLY way to get decent performance- the texture streaming used by FO4 is inhereted from John Carmack's insanely BAD Megatexture system (although FO4 doesn't use other Megatexture tech), and massively increases VRAM usage for ZERO gain.

PS the second values on each line were recommended for peeps with better GPUs.

The DOWNSIDE is that your initial load times (even off SSD) will be much longer.