Potential Database Breach

Dark0ne

Changing password now is useless it the vulnerability has not been fixed yet. Attackers may steal the passwords again and again.

Even if hashed and salted, they can still crack some accounts no matter the password, the hash or the salt.

They only need to generate a bunch of hash codes and compare them with the whole database:

chances your account will be cracked are low, but chances one or more accounts in the entire database will be cracked are much higher.

There's something strange: all attacks were made to Fallout 4 mod's authors. If you generate random hash codes you have very low chances to hit three times the mod authors from the same game and no mod author from other games. I think the crackers targeted specific accounts and succeed in hacking them in a short time with the whole hash+salt implementation.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #31563920.

GeohoundJason wrote: The fact you say what you do and come out to say it does speak volumes man. So many companies try to do damage control after things have hit a major crisis level, you're working to contain it before it gets to that crisis point. I'm certain you guys will figure it out soon.

Amen to this, I agree.

If you search the Fallout 4 \Data folder where mods are installed for "*.dll" and don't find anything, I think that would be a reasonable sign that you don't have any malicious mods installed (?) Any other ideas of things folks should check if they're concerned?

Thanks for the warning and the heads up to everyone to change their passwords, and a reminder on safe passwords. This hasn't hurt my trust with you or this site at all, and in fact being honest and giving such a warning is something that keeps that trust strong for me, in my opinion. I think giving this warning (and the other warnings before when things got sour in the past), shows you have integrity and I think that's what matters in situations like this.