Where is that Fallout Quirkiness?

WastelandGeographic

For me, this is the thing that is really missing. Whether it was Moira's ridiculous perkiness, Bryan Wilks talking about F**king ants, or Mechanist and Antagonizer fighting in the streets, Fallout 3 was funny with it's own particular flavor of understated zany humor.

F4 has none of that. It's just not entertaining that way. And I think that is why this fanboy hates to do it, but I have to call it... flat. It's like a Nukacola that got left out overnight. It's got no fizz.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or the whole U.S.S. Constitution crew. Speaking of super-pep made me think of the bosun. Hell, the whole quest is one step beyond crazy.

Or the kid in a fridge.

Or Curie.

Or the Covenant and their S.A.F.E. test for detecting synths :tongue:

Or the... unique personalities on the supervisors at Graygarden, especially supervisor Greene. Do mention he sounds like a game show host for a giggle. Or just listen to his conversations with White.

Or, yeah, the whole Silver Shroud quest arc, and especially the delightfully fanboy Kent. He's adorable.

Or, speaking of Moira, check out Tinker Tom. Now that's a guy that can out-crazy Moira and then some.

Etc.

There's PLENTY of quirkiness. In fact, I'd say a lot more than in FO3. I mean, FO3 did shove Moira in your face right at the start, whereas in FO4 you start with a bunch of depressing idiots, which admittedly doesn't help with the initial impression. But afterwards, FO3 had very little of that crazy stuff any more, whereas FO4 then starts having it all over the place.

I appreciate the funny bits they did put into FO4 but it's not at all like FO3. The humor was everywhere outside of the main quest line. "understated zany humor" is a perfect way to put it. It could be pretty dark and in your face too. Almost feeling like a social commentary. There's something about the transition from FO3 to FO4 that really irks me. If I could only know the details, my mind would be at ease.

I would say, that FO3/FNV are about 1/3 the size. It's a much bigger game, with the same ratio more than likely, an because of that you don't see as much of it. Although technically speaking, most people hated FO3 an FNV on consoles an PC, PC for sure. Everyone came in an had fun for a few months then said they hated it an disappeared. If you wanted some assistance with enjoying it. In the past games the official websites helped tremendously. All of which have been updated in a archived form, very modern. So go then to the official Fallout 4 website an explore around, an get that Fallout feeling.

For me, this is the thing that is really missing. Whether it was Moira's ridiculous perkiness, Bryan Wilks talking about F**king ants, or Mechanist and Antagonizer fighting in the streets, Fallout 3 was funny with it's own particular flavor of understated zany humor.

F4 has none of that. It's just not entertaining that way. And I think that is why this fanboy hates to do it, but I have to call it... flat. It's like a Nukacola that got left out overnight. It's got no fizz.

I agree, FO has been very much softened for a younger dumber audience.

Only part I don't agree with is the overnight Nuka Cola - more like it's been left out in the fallout for 200 years.

Well I mean the gaming industry wants to appeal to the younger an older audience, to increase sales. It's not dumbing down, it's good business. Plus lot of the game development moves toward organic design which is easy to use, an by definition is dumbed down. Gota look on the bright side I say. :D

Don't worry... I'm sure monkey's with typewriters are herding voice actors as we speak for Fallout 4: "Interesting NPCs." That having been said... I miss Dukov. :blush:

Yeah, it's sometimes fun to have npcs that need killing over and over again. Dukov was one of them and that sleazebag with the heart-shaped bed in Paradise Falls, can't remember his name. Forget Skyrim's Nazeem, who I've only ever found mildly irritating. FO3 had the biggest collection of hateworthy npcs I've ever encountered.