If you were the Wanderer IRL, who would you have sided with?

LordElfa

First of all, I'd rip out most of the pages in my SAS survival guide. The world changed too much, all flora and fauna related things probably wouldn't be viable options anymore. Then I'd first concern myself with survival; getting shelter, clean water, food and equipment (in that order). The vault is the best option for shelter, it's relatively save and sheltered from the harsh wasteland above. I'd clear it out, repair things I need and cut off power from the areas I wouldn't use anyway. This would probably also provide me with clean water and possibly a food source, since vault 111 also had to maintain some staff besides all the popsicles I have to assume the vault has a water purifier and possible some food stock.

It's only after I've procured everything I need for my survival I'd start to wander farther into the wasteland.

But back on topic, it's a real life situation and you'd probably have a lot more pull in what's possible. I'd side with the Institute under the demand that there will be no needless bloodshed and other atrocities. After procuring a position of power within the Institute, I'd steer them right and establish friendly relations with the general populous to work towards healing a broken world.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I'd rip out most of the pages in my SAS survival guide. The world changed too much, all flora and fauna related things probably wouldn't be viable options anymore. Then I'd first concern myself with survival; getting shelter, clean water, food and equipment (in that order). The vault is the best option for shelter, it's relatively save and sheltered from the harsh wasteland above. I'd clear it out, repair things I need and cut off power from the areas I wouldn't use anyway. This would probably also provide me with clean water and possibly a food source, since vault 111 also had to maintain some staff besides all the popsicles I have to assume the vault has a water purifier and possible some food stock.

It's only after I've procured everything I need for my survival I'd start to wander farther into the wasteland.

But back on topic, it's a real life situation and you'd probably have a lot more pull in what's possible. I'd side with the Institute under the demand that there will be no needless bloodshed and other atrocities. After procuring a position of power within the Institute, I'd steer them right and establish friendly relations with the general populous to work towards healing a broken world.

True, but at the same time you are thinking too sane. Your son was taken right before your eyes. You went back to sleep only to reopen your eyes x amount of time later. 200 years passed with a blink, literately. So your best hope to get your son back is to go after the bad guys in hope to get your son back ASAP before they go too deep doing whatever they planned to do with him. The problem is, you have no idea how much time had passed in between. They could have taken off 15 minutes ago, 1 day ago, or 10 years ago.

So the idea of you taking your time to build up Vault 111 again is not a very logical approach, unless you are a fortune teller knowing everything ahead of time. It was only after you ventured out to find your son: a simple, desperate, direct quest gets you tangled in the nest of politics and struggle for power between different factions. At one point it will dawn to you that you simply cannot just "go over there to take my infant son back real quick", but definitely not at the beginning. In movies (screenwriting), they call this the "How do you know" plot holes. Some low rated movies on Netflix suffer a lot from this syndrome. A discussed with B on a secret plan to do something, yet C later on somehow "just knew" about it with no explanation. Even big budgeted movies somehow have a few of these problems that really baffle viewers if they caught it.

Edited by tomomi1922

True, but at the same time you are thinking too sane. Your son was taken right before your eyes. You went back to sleep only to reopen your eyes x amount of time later. 200 years passed with a blink, literately. So your best hope to get your son back is to go after the bad guys in hope to get your son back ASAP before they go too deep doing whatever they planned to do with him. The problem is, you have no idea how much time had passed in between. They could have taken off 15 minutes ago, 1 day ago, or 10 years ago.

So the idea of you taking your time to build up Vault 111 again is not a very logical approach, unless you are a fortune teller knowing everything ahead of time. It was only after you ventured out to find your son: a simple, desperate, direct quest gets you tangled in the nest of politics and struggle for power between different factions. At one point it will dawn to you that you simply cannot just "go over there to take my infant son back real quick", but definitely not at the beginning. In movies (screenwriting), they call this the "How do you know" plot holes. Some low rated movies on Netflix suffer a lot from this syndrome. A discussed with B on a secret plan to do something, yet C later on somehow "just knew" about it with no explanation. Even big budgeted movies somehow have a few of these problems that really baffle viewers if they caught it.

That's cause I am sane (sort of) ;P

Don't get me wrong, I would want to just run out into the world and get my son back BUT doing so could well mean my untimely demise. It's not hard to see the world has become a harsh, barren, alien place, even at first glance (I mean, you saw the bombs drop not far from the vault when you entered).

Thinking irrationally and ending up dying helps no one. Not you, not Shaun, not anyone.

Edit: Btw, wouldn't the vault have an access log? Might be possible to get a time frame right off the bat ;]

Edited by Guest

Don't get me wrong, I would want to just run out into the world and get my son back BUT doing so could well mean my untimely demise. It's not hard to see the world has become a harsh, barren, alien place, even at first glance (I mean, you saw the bombs drop not far from the vault when you entered).

Thinking irrationally and ending up dying helps no one. Not you, not Shaun, not anyone.

Edit: Btw, wouldn't the vault have an access log? Might be possible to get a time frame right off the bat ;]

Only an idiot wouldn't check what's happening, specially when seeing the outside. First thing you'd do is run back inside to check the computers or whatever you can to figure out how much time passed..

First thing you'd do is run back inside to check the computers or whatever you can to figure out how much time passed..

Why? You baby is taken.

You go out. First thing you see is a wasteland. You go to Sanctuary, find it laying in ruins. Further inquiring the robot you find out apocalypse happened. What would be the best bet at finding some clues, the unknown wastes, or the vault which most likely had diaries and journals of what happened in and outside?

You go out. First thing you see is a wasteland. You go to Sanctuary, find it laying in ruins. Further inquiring the robot you find out apocalypse happened. What would be the best bet at finding some clues, the unknown wastes, or the vault which most likely had diaries and journals of what happened in and outside?

My kinda thinking =] No point in running out there into the unknown, possibly to your death.

About the access log, I doubt Kellog would bother to sign in. Besides, like I said ... your baby may have been gone for 15 minutes, if you didn't hurry (instead playing treasure hunt inside the Vault) your baby will be gone much farther. I am not saying you have to charge into certain death meaningless death. But there has to be a good amount of impulse with the lack of information and some faith (or wishful thinking). And seriously, how much is enough preparation?

Is it enough to store water/food for a few days, for 1 month, 1 year? Are you alone enough to take down whoever took your child? Enough with Piper? With all companions? With an entire Minute Man behind you? Or must you even have to recruit BoS as one of your allies? It is much saner of a story where the character takes in information and process where he/she goes on.

Once again, not saying you should charge in head first against 20 Raiders with a baton in hand. But sometimes you don't know if you are even doing the right thing until the end. What if your increase in exposure (becoming Minute Man general) will just increase Shaun's danger, whereas you are supposed to stay very low profile that Institute cannot even track you easily. Maybe you should install Preston as the general of the Minute Man, and you act as advisor/puppeteer so the world doesnt know of a brand new 200+ years old Vault sleeper waking up running around.

Nothing against your approach, but I would go with a more character development route where people adapt and grow with the environment, from professional house wife to Wasteland badass (at least for my character). Or an old veteran reclaiming some long forgotten war experience to be useful against the upcoming adventure in the brand new Wasteland.