⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Romance

JackTrenton

Considering Fallout culture is based off of 1950s America culture which was very, very strongly rooted in gender roles. Of course it is a huge part of Fallout culture.

Ignoring the post apocalypse part, we can see that this isn't part of the lore in all of our glimpses of the world of 2077. Remember that in the prewar period, Nora was planning to take up a career in law as a lawyer to enable Nate to be a stay at home dad. One of the lead scientists at Cambridge Polymer Laboratories was female. That garage you're using in Sanctuary? Check the computer in Red Rocket and you'll see that belonged to a woman who rebuilt car engines as a hobby. There was never an indication that anyone reacted to these things as weird for their gender.

One of our neighbours, I think mister Calahan but I'm not sure, was a person of colour living in a planned community. We see constant other signs of racial integration throughout the setting that just wouldn't match 1950s values at all.

Of all the ways 2077 in the fallout universe parallels 1950s Earth, clearly social progress was not one of them.

I guess we are not talking about the same thing when we say gender roles.

A woman can be the CEO of a Fortune 500 company or build tanks for the military or be a ninja, but still choose to play what is considered a traditional female gender role. Your job and who you are in your public life does not define who you feel comfortable being in a romantic situation.

But I don't really have the time at the moment to go into a very deep discussion on the psychology behind this stuff, so I will leave it at that.

• 7 years later...
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish the affinity system was reversed. Instead of the player having to work to raise affinity and progress relationships the npc should have to work to earn my affection. I'm not one that believes in sacrificing for relationships. The other person needs to work for my time, my attention, and my feelings. I put myself at the center with my happiness taking priority. NPC need to compete for me.

try keeping the perspective that all NPC's see YOU and regard YOU as a giant Ezekial sized SPaceship that controlls everything in the game