Bethesda forums and websites hacked: usernames, emails, and passwords

Galahaut

GStaff has just announced via the BethBlog that the Bethesda forums and websites were the subject of a hacking attempt/attack over the weekend. GStaff claims that no financial info was taken but usernames, emails, and passwords may have been accessed.

If you have an account over on the Bethsoft forums, changing your password is recommended. If you use the same password on the Nexus (or other sites) it is definitely a good idea to change those passwords as well.

At the moment Bethesda has not sent out any email notice to users. The only notices are posted on the BethBlog and a selection of subforums (the general discussion forums of only some games).

Over the past weekend, a hacker group attempted an unlawful intrusion of our websites to gain access to data. We believe we have taken appropriate action to protect our data against these attacks. While no personal financial information or credit card data was obtained, the hackers may have gained access to some user names, email addresses, and/or passwords. As a precaution, we recommend that all our fans immediately change passwords on all our sites — including our community forums and the statistics site we maintain for Brink players.

If your username/email address/password is similar to what you use on other sites, we recommend changing the password at those sites as well. As we don’t know what further plans the hackers may have, we suggest that you keep an eye out for suspicious emails and account activity.

We regret any inconvenience that these attacks on us cause for you. These attacks will be evaluated to determine if there are any additional protections we might take that would be prudent.

Update: Via GamePro, it appears that LulzSec has claimed responsibility for the breach.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Bethesda should file a complaint with the FBI. These jokers need to be caught. How they've done so much in the first place without being caught is beyond me.

~Jake~

Looks like some pesky hackers are on a roll..

First PSN, then (i believe it was) Codemasters and Square enix. Now Bethesda...

Do i dare ask where this will end?

I think Bethesda should file a complaint with the FBI. These jokers need to be caught. How they've done so much in the first place without being caught is beyond me.

~Jake~

It's a lot harder to catch people like this when they are this sophisticated. They are probably using Tor on an encrypted Virtual Machine and then using Tor to go through like 5 proxies. That's almost impossible to get through even if you get the IP address of the original connection since Tor routes all connections through different users of Tor making it VERY hard to discern which IP is actually doing the hacking.

Sites like Twitter are the mouthpieces for assholes like this, and should be brought to account. Inaction on their part is no better than the wrong actions of the hackers.

I have always believed that each person get one free "arse woopin" ability free of consequence in their life. I believe I would use mine on some of these hackers.

I have just the paddle to do it also. :)