Why do people seem to prefer Fallout New vegas to fallout 3.

arcane20

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda of a hard question, I mean they both had their good and bad points.

I would say IMHO Fallout 3 because the mapping was way better, When you compare

areas like the North-West(ish!) built up zone to a large section of Fallout 3 then there

is by comparison nothing to explore if what you want is a city scape.

Remember being outside the Arlington Library and following the road up to the over pass

Raiders with all the cars to explode (lol that section Rocked!) and on to the SM and the

2 Talon guys fighting the SM's and beyond to the Nuka and Red Racer Factory's to

mention one section.

The other thing that makes me say Fallout 3 was better is the range of creatures you will come across - Not Including 'Quest/Side Quest Related Encounters

Fallout 3 -- Bears, Scorpions x2 types, Ants, Ghouls, Mole Rats, Death Claws,

Robots x3 types, Coyotes, Radroachies Random Encounters, Multi-types of Super

Mutants and co plus of course Raiders, Talons and Slavers and im sure I have missed

a few things.

Fallout NV -- Scorpions x2 types, Coyotes, Ants, Aliens, Death Claws, Robots(x5 types)

Raiders/Fiends, NCR, Legion, Radroachies, Cazadors oh and Bloat Flys and if memory

serves correct im done!

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed playing FalloutNV a lot and I really liked some of the new

features but for me it just does not make up for what is missing from the game and what

they should have put in. If they had only used the whole map and added another 5-6

creature to the general load-out for random encounters then I may well be saying

FalloutNV is better even if it is to linear for a game thats meant to be sandbox.

Edited by Reconn

You forgot yaoguais, regulators, cannibals (if you play good karma), how the hell did you forgot the enclave, enclave raids by elipad or checkpoints with domestic deathclaws, fire ants, and ghouls have 3 types: normal, feral and finally reavers (the worst enemies of the game) for fallout 3.

And for NV you forgot Ghouls, mantis, rats, kahns, mafiosi, boomers etc... all factions can turn ennemies just like in fallout3

Yeah you right, my bad, I did forget a whole load of things, YaoGui I did not leave out

I just forget there name and called them Bears but some of the things you have listed

for Fallout 3 & NV I did leave out intentionally for example the 'Fire Ants' from Fallout 3

as they are quest related any yeah how did I forget the Enclave Oo

My point is that the diversity of creatures in Fallout 3 is way bigger that that of Fallout NV

and it is really noticeable when you travel across the Mojave, almost every time I see a blip

on my radar it doing the zig-zag dance of Cazadors. It some times feels like they are the

only thing out there, it gets boring, as I said the lack of creature diversity is really noticeable.

IMO its a shame because it feels like the Devs concentrated on the main quest and forgot about

the rest of the Mojave and thats a problem in this type of games because the rest of the map is

like 60% of the game at least.

Yep Reavers are real bad lol

They should have concentrate more on the "main quest" wich any path i followed was pretty dumb, it' doesn't sound real every storyline seems like something 's wrong or missing, too little.

Your not making a lot of sense here, how was it dumb? How does it not sound "real"? When your in a debate in which people discuss which game they think is better, you can't just walk in and go "THIS IS DUMB".

*Resists urge to hurl a Baldrick type turnip in the direction of Obsidian and hurls a rather more appropriate turkey...*

Actually Kendo is not the only person that thinks FONV is a turkey and totally the pits. I do too.

Those collision barriers suck. It goes against everything that I love about Bethesda Games which are among the few truly open world, non linear games around. I don't appreciate being corralled and martialled in RL and I don't appreciate in my leisure time either. When the Super Jump mod fails, I guess there is always `TCL

And say what you like, that so called clever faction interplay is so clever it trips over itself, and can render the game almost unplayable.

"Makes you Read: Best example is the final stage of Dead Money, at the Terminal in the Vault. a lot of quests are not a dead give away in the objectives, you actually have to look, or it's game over"

Yeah, big deal, if I want an intellectually challenging pursuit in my leisure time, I'll read Virgil in the original Latin or something. I don't need a video game to make me read (been doing it since before they were around.)

But of course, Obsidian had their finger in the New Vegas pie, so New Vegas MUST be good (sarcasm).

At least try to back up your position with some reasoning before posting nonsensical drivel. FNV is better than FO3 in every aspect,

FNV characters were more fleshed out - fact

FNV gameplay is better because it's basically FO3 gameplay with improvements - fact

FNV graphics is better but not noticable, eg. new textures developed using more recent methods - fact

FNV story was more fleshed out, FO3's main quest was too linear and did not have enough background elements to them - fact

the only subject of contention is the atmosphere and any logical person with a brain knows that FO3 looks like the bombs just dropped the day before when in fact it's been nearly 150 years and therefore FO3's setting was not realistic given the timeline.

Thank you and have a good day.

There is something to be said for having a more stable game, so in that respect FNV is much better. I discovered that I like the wide open spaces so much more than subway tunnels and the inside of crumbling buildings. For the next game, I am certain there are some mutant life forces dwelling in Redmond, Washington that need exploring. Perhaps with special mutant weapons, like a spider gun, the player will have a fighting chance when encountering with 240 year old mutants bearing Pipboys and pocket protectors.