Why do people seem to prefer Fallout New vegas to fallout 3.

arcane20

At least try to back up your position with some reasoning before posting nonsensical drivel. FNV is better than FO3 in every aspect,

FNV characters were more fleshed out - fact

FNV gameplay is better because it's basically FO3 gameplay with improvements - fact

FNV graphics is better but not noticable, eg. new textures developed using more recent methods - fact

FNV story was more fleshed out, FO3's main quest was too linear and did not have enough background elements to them - fact

the only subject of contention is the atmosphere and any logical person with a brain knows that FO3 looks like the bombs just dropped the day before when in fact it's been nearly 150 years and therefore FO3's setting was not realistic given the timeline.

Thank you and have a good day.

Somebody with a brain knows that the survivors were certainly only a few dozens the day after bombing, and that most of them have turned into ghouls, somebody with a brain knows that when the land is exposed to ultra hot temperature it kills the ground so it takes a lot of time before some plants appears mostly when it'is irradiate, somebody with a brain knows that the original survivors were not all good friend living in armony (raiders, slavers, canibals) so it's clear in that case 150 is absolutly not sufficient to make civilisation back .

So my brain told me that the atmosphere of Fallout 3 is clearly realistic

"FNV Characters more Fleshed out" - point of view, not fact !

"FNV gameplay is better because it's basically FO3 gameplay with improvements " - And inspired by Fo3 Mods so you have exactly the same gameplay in Fo3.

"FNV graphics is better but not noticable, eg. new textures developed using more recent methods" - hmm i'm sorry but FNV grafic is exactly the same just look at all screenshots, and with some mods Fo3 is far better than FNV poor landscape (wrong textures with yellow and red rocks, mountains form unrealistic like a 50's movie studio background) and what you say is wired because when i port meshes from FNV to Fo3 these are working well and look all the same.

"FNV story was more fleshed out, FO3's main quest was too linear and did not have enough background elements to them" - 6 storyline about the same skirmish to take control of the mojave, wich were pretty simple minded, hmm i prefer a good story about saving the world thank you.

And don't worry i have good days playing Fo3 for the 10th time while i was bored of NV on the second turn.

Edited by MonsterMonkey

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

150 is absolutly not sufficient to make civilisation back .

And yet the New California Republic was founded only 112 years after the bombs fell. What has the population of the Capitol Wasteland been doing in all that time, scratching their bottoms?

You have touched the critical point here, if california was as hostile as DC wasteland is, with several deadly threats such as stoned cyberpunks barabarians gangs such as raiders, living in complete anarchy attacking each starting civilisation that cross there path, or army of hostile super-mutants, thousand of wild ghouls, and what abouts irradiate water, no food, and mutated predators, then 112 years to mount a nation with an army is completely unrealistic..

I feel that Original fallout world like the mojave is way better living place than DC, because there is drinkable water and eatable plants there, and from the beginning i think there was more survivors there, it's just as simple as it looks.

First if you played fallout3 you know that all Vaults in DC Area were in fact experiment labs using there inhabitants as subjects who ignored that fact off course (who said that fallout3 story is uninteresting ???)...and the only one that have free living survivors ( as they thought !), the 101 remained closed for 200 years and was supposed to stay closed forever.

So if there ain't no big city in the Wasteland, it's cause ther wasn't hundreds of people that came from vaults like in the mojave.

But i'm pretty sure most of you guys didn't took time to read computers missing all the flavor of the game.

DC was overbombed at several points by chinese it is completely destroyed and irradiate, and it's logical everybody knows it's the best strajegic point to attack USA; it's the capital city, it's a symbol with lot monuments and command place like capitol, white house pentagon etc...

So Dc Wasteland is a place where the few survivors had to face radiation illness, thirst, hunger, and it's clear that only the strongest have survived.

I suggest that you return near Germantown police station and read what survivors has left before they all die, it will help you understand the no future hopeless mood of the game wich is exactly what makes it fantastic.

Edited by MonsterMonkey

Don't get me wrong, as far as story is concerned I give them both 10 for 10. But if we are talking over all gaming experience from a mechanics standpoint as well NV wins it for me every time. Sure you can say "well this mod makes it even", but I'm assuming we are talking about each game as they were when first produced, because with mods in the picture we could go back and forth all day. Look at each game in its original vanilla state both games have an amazing story line that draws you in, but at the end of the day New Vegas did more to make you feel the strain of the Wasteland.

I would prefer F3's depth and storyline but FNV's combat and weapons are truly greater. I started out with FNV and when I played F3 and found out it didn't have 'true' iron sights, I was very dissipointed. FNV also looks a lot better. But F3 has a real survival feel to it. In FNV it feels like your just doing stuff, instead of surviving. :psyduck:

At least try to back up your position with some reasoning before posting nonsensical drivel. FNV is better than FO3 in every aspect,

FNV characters were more fleshed out - fact

FNV gameplay is better because it's basically FO3 gameplay with improvements - fact

FNV graphics is better but not noticable, eg. new textures developed using more recent methods - fact

FNV story was more fleshed out, FO3's main quest was too linear and did not have enough background elements to them - fact

the only subject of contention is the atmosphere and any logical person with a brain knows that FO3 looks like the bombs just dropped the day before when in fact it's been nearly 150 years and therefore FO3's setting was not realistic given the timeline.

Thank you and have a good day.

Somebody with a brain knows that the survivors were certainly only a few dozens the day after bombing, and that most of them have turned into ghouls, somebody with a brain knows that when the land is exposed to ultra hot temperature it kills the ground so it takes a lot of time before some plants appears mostly when it'is irradiate, somebody with a brain knows that the original survivors were not all good friend living in armony (raiders, slavers, canibals) so it's clear in that case 150 is absolutly not sufficient to make civilisation back .

So my brain told me that the atmosphere of Fallout 3 is clearly realistic

"FNV Characters more Fleshed out" - point of view, not fact !

"FNV gameplay is better because it's basically FO3 gameplay with improvements " - And inspired by Fo3 Mods so you have exactly the same gameplay in Fo3.

"FNV graphics is better but not noticable, eg. new textures developed using more recent methods" - hmm i'm sorry but FNV grafic is exactly the same just look at all screenshots, and with some mods Fo3 is far better than FNV poor landscape (wrong textures with yellow and red rocks, mountains form unrealistic like a 50's movie studio background) and what you say is wired because when i port meshes from FNV to Fo3 these are working well and look all the same.

"FNV story was more fleshed out, FO3's main quest was too linear and did not have enough background elements to them" - 6 storyline about the same skirmish to take control of the mojave, wich were pretty simple minded, hmm i prefer a good story about saving the world thank you.

And don't worry i have good days playing Fo3 for the 10th time while i was bored of NV on the second turn.

You have some really bad points. You are assuming that the bombs hit every square inch of the earth which is just ridiculous. There were pockets of survivors and 150 years is a very long time especially since the survivors would still have pre-war knowledge that they could pass on meaning that shanty towns are unrealistic.

Also LOL at your comment about the FNV storyline.

Bad troll is bad either that or grow some brain cells.

I agree, wish it was bigger, felt like an expansion pack.

but what i like more is the more realistic faction based thing where you can't please everybody and lack of super toons with 100s in all stats.

also what i hated about fo3 was it was unrealistic that 200 years after bombs we're still tiny unrelated disorganized bands of like 8 people living in irradiated ditches and scavenging prewar canned foods. it was silly, after that long things should be at least partially rebuilt more like in new vegas(although it makes some sense since vegas is middle of nowhere and dc would obviously get hit hardest, was probably irradiated far longer than west cost and more recently resettled) that totally devastated thing worked in fo1 only 80 years after, and fo2 was already starting to rebuild more. fo3 farthest in future and back to worse than fo1 had? :P

Edited by Gannet

Wait a minute here we're not talking of a natural catastrophy, like it happens and there we can rebuilt, the DC region was bombed by several Atomics (it's the capital !) and after that some survivors came from elsewhere to find out no drinkable water, no food, no plants, monsters, mutants, it's not dysneyland here, 150 years is too short to rebuilt DC wasteland, even if all human survivors have united wich is absolutly not the case ( slavers, raiders, ghouls...)

And as long as most buildings and by all mean culture (movies, books) have been destroyed, on nuclear strike or by post-apocalyptic barbarians factions only a few should even know how to read or whrite, it's close to starting from scratch here.

150 years it's not so long it's closely two human lives, and how do you have a civilisation grow without sufficient food and water ?

The answer is "You Can't" it's simple to understand that; look we have some exemple of countries that are in that kind of problems even in our comtoporary third world, don't you see that if they are not developed the way we are, it's clearly because in the basis, they have no sufficient food, no clear water, raiding-slaving factions and in the middle corrupted chiefs (and it's not gonna be better, believe me the future is dark) !

So, all you have is little groups of survivors living in deperate situations, and it's the charm of the game, the charm of thinking that this nightmare could happen some day, it makes you think about the world we know, the errors and bad decisions of our chiefs, and at the end, the more powerfull civilisation of time, reduced to a third world wasted country.

This is total Chaos after the greatest destruction of modern era, that's the correct mood, it is how a post apocalyptic world should be and it is what Fallout should have been.

Of course the Mojave wasn't destructed as DC was, there ain't no pentagon, white house or capitol there, DC is a power symbol a primary target in case of war, but can you imagine how people go insane when there ain't no more autority, when it's complete anarchy, when you have kinda same food/water problems as above, well how can you almost have viable natality and what about deseases, who still know how to make medics, who still know anything when there is only few books & no schools, c'mon be serious,150 years is short.

I'm not trolling all i say is true, if you don't like it... i don't give a damn.

Edited by MonsterMonkey