Is it just me, or is the mod community not quite what Skyrim's was.

Comfortblynumb2

Topic.

I don't know if it's because Skyrim has been out X amount of years.

But to me, it seems like FO4's quality mods have been lacking, is this due to learning how to mod a new game? Is there less of a community working on this, than that which worked on Skyrim?

I seem to remember great mods dropping almost every day on Skyrim when it first came out, which i'm not seeing on FO4 so far, (minus a few solid mods)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say one way or the other what exactly is the case. I suspect the 6 months it took for the CK to come out really hurt the mod scene. Bare in mind that the elder scrolls has always had a far larger and more solid mod base than the fallout series has.

It is still early on when it comes to modding. After all, the GECK was just recently released. But, like you, I have noticed a lot of the very talented names from the past to be missing of late to the modding scene on the Nexus. I look at the names of those who have "friended" me in the past and they are all gone now. 'Tis sad, 'tis sad.

The Rabbit

Keep in mind that giant, awesome mods take time to make. I'm working on a massive creature companion overhaul right now that will allow you to tame, name, accessorize, and befriend wasteland creatures (check out the WIP thread if you're interested), but it's obviously going to take a while to complete.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it takes a while for the community to work out what a game really needs. Aside from urgent bug fixes or pretty HD textures, it takes time to work out where the mechanics as a whole fall short, and how to fix them.

Edited by steelfeathers

It's just you. F4 mods are just as good as Skyrim. What exactly did you expect so soon into official modding, DLC sized quest mods?

Hell my stupid pylon took 4 days for me 2 for bleu and a couple hours for dogtooth to help with and it still aitn done rofl

THAT'S ONE BLOODY PYLON EVENT PEOPLE!!! Ok it's a little more complicated, but good s#*! takes time and we didnt get the CK till hella late, gg bethesda

Let me start by saying I cannot mod.

But it feels like a lot of people (probably young) make, lets be quite frank, stupid retextures that have plagued the nexus since the release of FO4. Although, Recently very professional and well developed mods have been popping up. And due to limitations like animations its going to take a while before the modding scene is completely fleshed out.

Give it time. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw DLC sized content come from the community by the end of the year.

Im waiting for the FO4 equivalent of Project Nevada.

Or a similar overhaul.

ps. When I say stupid retextures I mean things like "Hunting rifle anime weeb super cool retexture" < Not real but you get my point.

Edited by JG333

I will say the community is much smaller (and , specifically for the forums, much less active), for sure. I remember (on earlier titles) when questions were answered relatively quickly and very, very few questions went unanswered at all...even the really lame questions. =P

(Yes, speaking a little from personal experience, I fully admit, heh)

As for mods (quantity *and* quality), there are some really good ones already...but admittedly, not many. There a lot of enb's, bodies, weapons, I do see...but those are small (notice I didn't say "easy" because small does not equal easy). Big ones will take time, and CK has only been around for a month (?)...several big projects being started.

Even so, I haven't run out of mods to try out...maybe had to broaden my interests a bit. But even so, there are still things out there I want to try out that I haven't gotten to yet.

Still, as above, I don't think anyone would argue that this community is as big as it could have been if CK was released 3-4 months ago (FO4edit was helpful and worked well, and some people did some good stuff with, but it's just not the same).

Its because no one ever helps each other on this forum

If you mean than no one will do it for you then, yes, and with good reason. But this is a modding hobby site, which means that you learn to do it yourself. The Nexus provides two forums, Mod Talk and Mod Troubleshooting, for those who are having issues while learning the process of modding. I rarely post in there because I work my problems out myself. But when I've found found something that is beyond my ken then the experts here have been more that helpful in working out my issues.

The Rabbit