Skyrim Remaster Is True | Hide The Mods |

deadblood01

Many people in different discussion forums believe that for PC it will be a forced upgrade, not a standalone game in your Steam library.

Also, they are convinced that the current version with mods looks exponentially better than the remastered version.

My concern is, if after upgrading to the new version some great mods, such as Climates of Tamriel and Realistic Lighting Overhaul will continue to work well. it would be sad if they do not. I love these mods.

People love to parrot eachother in the echo chamber. It creates a sense of community, a "us vs them" that can be nice to feel part of a group. It is a stupidity of great proportions. Get facts, read for yourself.

Your concern *is* invalid. It *IS* a separate game. Two different folders on your computer. Two different games. You can run one or the other. You can have all the mods you have now. Nothing changes. You can play the 'old' version with all your Mods, and the new version. Or both. Or none. Or everything in between. Stop worrying and start enjoying we will have more choice!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many people in different discussion forums believe that for PC it will be a forced upgrade, not a standalone game in your Steam library.

Also, they are convinced that the current version with mods looks exponentially better than the remastered version.

My concern is, if after upgrading to the new version some great mods, such as Climates of Tamriel and Realistic Lighting Overhaul will continue to work well. it would be sad if they do not. I love these mods.

People love to parrot eachother in the echo chamber. It creates a sense of community, a "us vs them" that can be nice to feel part of a group. It is a stupidity of great proportions. Get facts, read for yourself.

Your concern *is* invalid. It *IS* a separate game. Two different folders on your computer. Two different games. You can run one or the other. You can have all the mods you have now. Nothing changes. You can play the 'old' version with all your Mods, and the new version. Or both. Or none. Or everything in between. Stop worrying and start enjoying we will have more choice!

Shivala, no need for the "told off", still I appreciate your insight. I understand the subject here is not about how people "parrot" each other, but about the relevancy of mods in one of our favourite video games, and I was simply sharing what I read. Is it true or not? I do not know, I was not neither stating a point nor saying that what I read is the truth and nothing but the truth.

I believe my concern *is* valid because remember we have never really "owned" any digital products we have bought over the years. I do not own my $1000 copy of Photoshop or my $60 copy of Fallout 4, yet after all that hardly earned money we put on to have the "right to use" all those applications, the big companies behind can simply and without warning, upgrade, overwrite, change and add things —some of them needed, I admit — that perhaps we users do not want or that start causing bugs and problems in our work flow, or game flow. Yet, thank you for the clarification that it will be in fact a standalone game in my Steam library.

Best Regards

game will be a separate title visual mods will definitely not work with special editions coz lightings and shaders have been changed

What I am seeing with the remaster is Bethsoft needed a testbed when they started working on the 64 bit version of their engine for FO4. Instead of reinventing the wheel, they used an existing already finished game, Skyrim, as their development testbed. This work likely started before Skyrim was released and before they were too deep into FO4 development. As part of their work they remade quite a bit of Skyrim to work with the 64 bit engine. Probably most of it. Then, instead of just throwing that redone mostly finished 64 bit Skyrim into some storage bin, they decided to pay the Devs to complete the work and finish the conversion. Then GIVE the completed work to their loyal PC fans as a FREE gift. :thumbsup:

Yes, they do expect the modders to port many of the PC mods to the bethnet Skyrim section. However, only a small portion of PC Skyrim players actually make any mods. Probably less than 2%. So, for the other 98% They get a FREE remaster of a very popular game. :dance: Creating a 64 bit version of Skyrim was expensive for Beth, They still had to pay the devs and the overhead while they did the work. And I am sure they expect some return from new sales of an old game to help offset some of the cost. But I just don't see those returns coming near the money they put into it.

What I am seeing with the remaster is Bethsoft needed a testbed when they started working on the 64 bit version of their engine for FO4. Instead of reinventing the wheel, they used an existing already finished game, Skyrim, as their development testbed. This work likely started before Skyrim was released and before they were too deep into FO4 development. As part of their work they remade quite a bit of Skyrim to work with the 64 bit engine. Probably most of it. Then, instead of just throwing that redone mostly finished 64 bit Skyrim into some storage bin, they decided to pay the Devs to complete the work and finish the conversion. Then GIVE the completed work to their loyal PC fans as a FREE gift. :thumbsup:

Yes, they do expect the modders to port many of the PC mods to the bethnet Skyrim section. However, only a small portion of PC Skyrim players actually make any mods. Probably less than 2%. So, for the other 98% They get a FREE remaster of a very popular game. :dance: Creating a 64 bit version of Skyrim was expensive for Beth, They still had to pay the devs and the overhead while they did the work. And I am sure they expect some return from new sales of an old game to help offset some of the cost. But I just don't see those returns coming near the money they put into it.

todd howard himself said in the interview at e3 that they began porting skyrim to 64 bit fallout engine when they first got xbox1 dev kit during fallout 4 development process and later decided to remaster it coz most of the work they had already done so yeah thats true.

https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/742200753520050176

Sep game it seems...one less thing to worry about,yeah?

Yeah the majority of PC users will have simply lucked out. But since the latest gen consoles use x64/DX11 its not so much of a surprise they recompiled a 64bit version of Skyrim since they use PC's to create the console versions so its probably not as altruistic as you might imagine. But then again I'm known for my cynicism. :ermm:

The returns will of course come in the form of mods for the latest gen consoles is what they're banking on I imagine, that being the biggest market and the principle reason for this "remaster". Without a 64bit version for the PC how is anyone supposed to test and fix any not working for the console market or create any new ones using the new shaders etc?

My real curiosity is since it will presumably be using DX11 will that allow for an increased draw call and a higher polygon count? Because DX9 is severely hampering Skyrim's engine. Put extra models in, increase those draw calls and watch the FPS tumble. That'd count as a major upgrade to the Creation engine and a pointer to where they plan to go with future titles. :sleep: