Pathetic is the best way to describe F4 DLC

nightinglae850

Eh, to be fair most of the good part of New Vegas outside of DLC in terms of the writing is just the background fluff. A lot of the quests didn't even really have writing behind them and most of the NPCs lack any personality outside major figures and companions.

Still better than beth, and they have allow more options in quests and what no.

To me, New Vegas showcases the differences between Obsidian and Bethesda Games Studios. I think Bethesda is top notch at world building, but writing is not their strong suit. Obsidian is the reverse, at least as far as New Vegas is concerned. The writing for New Vegas, and general RPG elements were great in New Vegas. The world was bland and dull to me though. I do wish Obsidian were to get another chance at Fallout though. I kind of like the idea of the two companies bouncing the title back and forth. They both offer different things that I happen to like.

you hit the nail with this on. FNV looks more real with it building, but it was boring as s#*! to me. It felt dull, and boring. Also, it was odd many small towns were not walled or had any people to wonder around with guns. Felt freaking odd to me.

What i like about beth game is the landscaping, it really good. I think fo4 does have many sweet and cool places. Like the raiders boat area, sunken parts of the city near the coast, the swamps, the beaches. It always great to wonder around them.

Beth does really good world telling, the old state house and the lab quest are examples. I wish they try to make a game based mostly on that.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a really strong bias towards Fallout: New Vegas as it's the game that really enthralled me into the Fallout lore, not so much Fallout 3. But maybe my point is still meaningful:

I personally find Bethesda to be pretty hit or miss on the world building in regards to Fallout specifically. It's interesting most of the time, which is good, but sometimes it's so blatantly senseless that it kills my suspension of disbelief. I.e. why is there a bunch of skeletons sitting in this woman's home/shop that she's clearly inhabited for a long period of time? Why are these people putting mannequins and teddy bears in humorous position when they're living in total piles of filth? Why is this settlement mostly made of rotting plywood with walls that could have been assembled better by a one-armed blind man trying to recreate abstract art? Some of this makes sense if it's a unique location with some explanation behind it. But this is literally all over the place.

Fallout 4 has a lot of the problems that Fallout 3's world did in terms of internal logic, and it's one of the reasons I loved Fallout 3 as a game but didn't actually care about the setting. When I heard the plot to Fallout: New Vegas it sounded even more ridiculous and I went into it with a sour attitude due to being bitter with some of Obsidian's previous titles, but it ended up actually seeming more believable by far compared to Fallout 3 and even subsequently Fallout 4. The funny thing is that I would say that Fallout 4 is a huge leap forward with Bethesda's writing (which I've always found really weak). I even appreciate the risks they took with the main plot even though I'm not sure they panned out. But I kind of find that I greatly preferred Fallout: New Vegas's world because it held a better internal logic and made me actually feel like "hey, this place could exist." When I look at Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 I find myself feeling "hey, this is a cool video game shooting gallery" or "hey, this is a funny visual gag." The other outcome of this is that when I found something cool in Fallout: New Vegas it felt really cool. In Fallout 4 there's too much... it ends up feeling like background noise.

But that's down to personal preference and what you're trying to get out of the game, I guess. I do kind of wish they'd let Obsidian have a crack at doing another Fallout sequel inbetween now and Fallout 5: The Refallening or whatever.

My only disappoint is the missing dlcs about:

-Enclave

-Aliens

-The mistery of Sarah's Lyon death

-A better ending dlc

-Canada location dlc

-New Jersey DLC

-New York DLC

Such a lot of opportunities missed.

Ok I can solve Sarah's death

She died in combat, mystery over.

I still don't get why everything needs a story, Wasteland Workshop didn't need to have some arbitrary story pushed on it because let's face it none of the ideas were complex enough to deem one save for the emitter and even then that can be explained as an experiment by the SS. As for "modders were already doing it!" no modder made a cage system that captures animals, people and everything in-between or a fully functioning arena mechanic that can be built in any settlement.

Like hell, were people this pissed off when GRA and Courier's stash was released for New Vegas? At least Wasteland workshop has more function then "DLC that lets you shoot more guns"

That's probably because with GRA and Courier's Stash, there was also Dead Money, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road, and Honest Hearts.

People always seem to only mention GRA and Courier's Stash and ignore the FOUR story DLCs

-Enclave

-Aliens

-A better ending dlc

-Canada location dlc

-New Jersey DLC

-New York DLC

Nah, it's such a boring way to say "she is dead". It was better if was a conspiracy, and we have to solve this crime.

-Enclave

-Aliens

-A better ending dlc

-Canada location dlc

-New Jersey DLC

-New York DLC

Nah, it's such a boring way to say "she is dead". It was better if was a conspiracy, and we have to solve this crime.

That's actually more boring to do. I'm tired of the badly constructed conspiracy theories of "Maxson killed her!" which ignores the fact that Maxson wasn't appointed Elder after her death, there were several other Elders that stepped down after being unable to handle it before Maxson rose to power.

-Enclave

-Aliens

-A better ending dlc

-Canada location dlc

-New Jersey DLC

-New York DLC

That's actually more boring to do. I'm tired of the badly constructed conspiracy theories of "Maxson killed her!" which ignores the fact that Maxson wasn't appointed Elder after her death, there were several other Elders that stepped down after being unable to handle it before Maxson rose to power.

Nah, how he could? He was just a kid. Better to think Outcasts did it.

I have a really strong bias towards Fallout: New Vegas as it's the game that really enthralled me into the Fallout lore, not so much Fallout 3. But maybe my point is still meaningful:

I personally find Bethesda to be pretty hit or miss on the world building in regards to Fallout specifically. It's interesting most of the time, which is good, but sometimes it's so blatantly senseless that it kills my suspension of disbelief. I.e. why is there a bunch of skeletons sitting in this woman's home/shop that she's clearly inhabited for a long period of time? Why are these people putting mannequins and teddy bears in humorous position when they're living in total piles of filth? Why is this settlement mostly made of rotting plywood with walls that could have been assembled better by a one-armed blind man trying to recreate abstract art? Some of this makes sense if it's a unique location with some explanation behind it. But this is literally all over the place.
Fallout 4 has a lot of the problems that Fallout 3's world did in terms of internal logic, and it's one of the reasons I loved Fallout 3 as a game but didn't actually care about the setting. When I heard the plot to Fallout: New Vegas it sounded even more ridiculous and I went into it with a sour attitude due to being bitter with some of Obsidian's previous titles, but it ended up actually seeming more believable by far compared to Fallout 3 and even subsequently Fallout 4. The funny thing is that I would say that Fallout 4 is a huge leap forward with Bethesda's writing (which I've always found really weak). I even appreciate the risks they took with the main plot even though I'm not sure they panned out. But I kind of find that I greatly preferred Fallout: New Vegas's world because it held a better internal logic and made me actually feel like "hey, this place could exist." When I look at Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 I find myself feeling "hey, this is a cool video game shooting gallery" or "hey, this is a funny visual gag." The other outcome of this is that when I found something cool in Fallout: New Vegas it felt really cool. In Fallout 4 there's too much... it ends up feeling like background noise.
But that's down to personal preference and what you're trying to get out of the game, I guess. I do kind of wish they'd let Obsidian have a crack at doing another Fallout sequel inbetween now and Fallout 5: The Refallening or whatever.

Beth views world building as "art" and "style" more than realism at this point. Fo4 is clearly "styled." The first farm you find is drawn twice by a fantasy artist (check his/her work. freaking amazing.) so that is way it looks like an art gallery project than a real world place.

Have to admit, quests like blind, Nick, sliver did set up from beth really boring quest writing from skyrim and F3.

It more was like this:

People took this, go kill them and get it back! Even in fo3, it mostly like this.

in fo4, it a bit more like:

People took this, go try to find out more, kill them/talk to them then kill them/do this to solve problem. Like blind, lost, nick etc

People say that the main quest was worse than past games, but you really can't f*#@ up:

Look for your dad, talk to some people about him, kill those bad guys, now fix this.

You are dragonborn, kill dragons, go to a tomb, go to this dude, go to more old places, kill more dragons, now kill this big dragon.

The problem is the baby, the main character, and the wife/husband. You can't feel anything for a baby because baby, the wife/husband can't show to much because beth still think RP and a in-depth wife.husband cab mess up.

That's probably because with GRA and Courier's Stash, there was also Dead Money, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road, and Honest Hearts.

People always seem to only mention GRA and Courier's Stash and ignore the FOUR story DLCs

Once again, Obsidian, not Bethesda. Bethesda was only the publisher, if I'm not mistaken. So taking FNV as an example kind of misses the mark. This can only be compared to FO3 or Skyrim. And in both cases the DLCs weren't top of the pops. FO3 had 3 story DLCs. I'm not counting Anchorage, since it was purely shoot, shoot, repeat and I'm not even sure, if I should count Broken Steel, since it also didn't do much in terms of story. Skyrim had two, and that's being generous.