Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

I was having the exact same issues as you guys: Black screen after 10 - 600 seconds of game play, monitor light goes orange, then music glitches out soon after.

My video card is an AMD 6870 (latest driver) running on windows 7 64 bit.

But then for some reason when I had another user logged on at the same time as me; I got NO black screen crashes for a full 20 hours of Skyrim split over two days and I still don't get them.

Would you guys mind test to see if this works for anybody else?

Sadly it doesn´t work for me. I also have an AMD 6870 on win7 64 bit.

Played the first little part without problems, but when i come anywhere near Whiterun my screen goes blank and byebye..

It is definitly a problem with the graphics card as the monitor goes blank first..maybe the game causes the driver to quit at some point?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys I can't stress enough to please wait for a patch. It does seem Skyrim causes serious problems with the video card making it shut down. This might just be a auto-defense mechanism for the card as it's being overheated or whatnot.

If you try to prevent this, you might severly damage your video card in the progress. Also to keep playing with having crashes can also damage your computer. I really suggest not playing until the patch is here to prevent any damage.

At least that's what I'll be doing. Bethesda needs to fix this.

Okay, three hours after shutting off my powersave mode, the game hasn't black screened once. I'm pretty sure I've found the fix. Windows and Skyrim seem to be causing a bug where windows thinks nothing is happening, so it tries to go into powersave mode, shutting off your monitor, but this f*#@s it all up, causing the PC to stop responding. Just turn off powersave mode, and you should be fine.

Doubtful since it seems to simply be killing the graphics driver. The monitor _stops_ receiving signal, whereas when a compouter is in sleep mode the monitor is sent the sleep signal.

But at this point I'm willing to try anything for this gaem :(

I've read (either here or elsewhere) about some XP and Vista users that have the same problem as us Win7 users. Also, I'm pretty sure UNDERclocking your card won't hurt it. I don't know much about computers (Not stupid per se, but I'm not a guru) and I have never heard of underclocking hurting your rig (performance yes, but not actual damage) especially if you use the GPU's control suite to do so.... unless you go stupid and underclock it to almost 0 or underclock the fan (if you call it that, I don't know really know what to call it) in which case, yes you could do some damage. Either way, the underclocking seems to work for me so far, and I'm happy with it. Also, I have my GPU fan at 50% to keep GPU cool-ish.

ALSO: Yes, wait for the patch, if you constantly crash, DO NOT KEEP TRYING IMMEDIATELY!

how much did you under clock by i reduced mine by 15% but i still crashed does it need to be more than that??

thanks RBD777

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................rainbow dash is best pony

I dont know if this is a crash problem like you guys, but ill just be playing and my computer will instantly turn off and reboot itself and it has done multiple times just when playing skyrim. I dont know if my computer is over heating or what

This is the only problem with it I have so far, just got the game today. Everything else works well. I am trying some new things and will get back to you if I find a fix.

Sorry if my English is still bad, it's not my first language.

Ok, scratch the underclock thing, I just had a system fail even when I underclocked. Guess I was just lucky the last couple times.... or it COULD be that the CCC turned off my off my override and boosted GPU clock to 820...

Don't you just HATE it when your override is overridden?