Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey there guys, got 2 fixes here:

btw currently I only tested it on Windows 7 64 bit

1. Go to Documents/My Games/Skyrim and edit the "SkyrimPrefs.ini" and look for the following line:

"bGamepadEnable=1"

Change the 1 into 0, save and done.

2. Open up Control Panel and go to "Sound"

On the "playback" tag right click on the currently used device (the one with the green tick next to it) and go to "Properties"

Switch to the "Advanced" tab.

Default should be 16 bit, 48000 Hz (DVD Quality)

Change that to: 24 bit, 44100 Hz (Studio Quality)

Save and exit - run Skyrim and enjoy. :]

Just in case lower AA and AF to around 2-4x sampling.

Hope this helps! Post up if this helped ya! ^_^

Why would the first fix a no input issue?

also, neither worked. Damnit.

Edited by pdoherty3000

yeah i hope they also fix this particular crash and not just the CTD.

i thought the 11.11 amd driver won't work because its the games fault not the drivers.

really a bummer not being able to play after waiting for such a long time for this game :/

Edited by rando3

Did anyone already get some form of reply from Bethesda that this'll be fixed in the next patch or whatever?

I really want to play my game anytime soon

AFAIK the next Skyrim patch is xbox oriented to fix texture issues. So we will probably have to wait until first DLC or something, unless we can fix it ourselves.

Edited by eon1000

your gpu is probably fine, set all back to defaults, roll back drivers etc.

I'm having trouble even getting to the windows startup screen (sometimes it crashes and freezes on bios screen)

A friend said that maybe it was the motherboard (Biostar TA790GXB3) since my GPU is literally pretty f'ing huge and heavy it may have caused damage to the PCI-E slot. I'm rather hoping this isn't the case obviously, but I've tried using the built in GPU to test and it doesn't work at all either. Any ideas?

And yes I know that has nothing to do with skyrim, but I'm hoping SOMEONE may know so I can get BACK to skyrim.

EDIT: oh and before anyone asks, yes I fully removed the discrete graphics card before testing the built-in, and I get the same results, either nothing shows up and the computer hangs and crashes or I see a bunch of blue boxes going nuts on the screen and the computer hangs and crashes.

Edited by JaceTiger

I originally posted last friday, and after 4 1/2 days, and trying every suggested fix, it still goes to the Black Screen of Death, with audio loop and and hard reset.

I wish people would stop posting to change the audio settings or play in windows mode, as they were the first things many of us tried, and have absolutly no effect on the crashes.

I dont know if it is true, but i read that the next patch is for the xbox only?!?! For textures?!?!? What about the people who havent even gotten out of the excecution seen yet?!?!?!

I have already sent in a ticket to bethesda, and got the "change your audio settings" reply. Are they even reading these threads?

I think they need to concentrate on the pc version, and wait on the console tweeks.

Does anyone now a better way to contact bethesda than thier stupid ticket system? A way i will actually know they read what i wrote? Im feeling very neglected, or dismissed by this company, and i cant put in words my frustration and anger over this unplayable game.

your gpu is probably fine, set all back to defaults, roll back drivers etc.

I'm having trouble even getting to the windows startup screen (sometimes it crashes and freezes on bios screen)

A friend said that maybe it was the motherboard (Biostar TA790GXB3) since my GPU is literally pretty f'ing huge and heavy it may have caused damage to the PCI-E slot. I'm rather hoping this isn't the case obviously, but I've tried using the built in GPU to test and it doesn't work at all either. Any ideas?

And yes I know that has nothing to do with skyrim, but I'm hoping SOMEONE may know so I can get BACK to skyrim.

EDIT: oh and before anyone asks, yes I fully removed the discrete graphics card before testing the built-in, and I get the same results, either nothing shows up and the computer hangs and crashes or I see a bunch of blue boxes going nuts on the screen and the computer hangs and crashes.

i actually did some digging and found their tech support for skyrim so here it is 410 568 3685 give them a ring and stress the issue so we can get this fixed

Did anyone already get some form of reply from Bethesda that this'll be fixed in the next patch or whatever?

I really want to play my game anytime soon

I sent support an email referring them to this thread - they responded by asking for my dxdiag info. No mention that they're working on a patch, but they wouldn't be asking for that kind of information if they weren't checking this issue out.