Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Most issues still seem to be with the ATI cards, altho nvidia cards can have it too.

I just installed it on my laptop which has a geforce, no crashes there. Stutters like hell after a few hours of playing tho but no crashes.

Also, ATI really needs to make a crossfire profile for this game. I disabled crossfire so only one video card was enabled and the game ran just as as before with same stutters, it was actually more fluent concidering you don't have that irretable microstuttering. It seems Skyrim doesn't even use the second card at all.

Edited by Zolexus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

something like this should be in the first post

Myself and others have put together similar lists at different points in the troubleshooting process. The one you're referring to is probably the most complete so far.

I will be downloading the game elsewhere and spending my 60 dollars on another game who's developers id like to support.

That's not how it should work. I also plan to download the game, which I will play only until a satisfactory patch is released (assuming the downloaded game works, of course). If you are dissatisfied with the game enough to return it, then you don't get to play it legally, and you don't get to take the moral high-ground if you pirate it anyway. If you still want to play it, I urge you to hold off for a while until a permanent fix is found (or indeed, repurchase the game in anticipation of a fix).

yeah i know there are more than just this one list thats why i said "something like this".

the list i'm referring to is also not complete.

i just thought it would be nice to put everything together and put it in the first post so new people have an idea whats going on^^

^^^ Ah, sorry. I totally agree.

OP, are you listening in on this? :tongue:

EDIT: Oh, and could someone who has purchased the game legitimately please test out a downloaded copy (via p2p) and report back here? I am at work currently, or I'd do it myself. <--- I do not mean to implicitly support piracy, and fully intend to uninstall and delete any downloaded copies of the game once there is a working patch, even if that means losing my current progress. I just want to play this game that I have shelled out money for.

Edited by DanRocco

Can someone confirm that this issue is happening with all installation methods (digital download and cd/dvd)? My copy is digital from direct2drive.

I can confirm this, I tested Digital (Steam), DVD and Pirated (Razor1911) installations.

Oh, and could someone who has purchased the game legitimately please test out a downloaded copy (via p2p) and report back here? I am at work currently, or I'd do it myself. <--- I do not mean to implicitly support piracy, and fully intend to uninstall and delete any downloaded copies of the game once there is a working patch, even if that means losing my current progress. I just want to play this game that I have shelled out money for.

I tested and played a Pirate copy to see how an unpatched game fared compared to the legitimate copy. The legit copy seems to crash sooner than the pirate, but not by a substantial amount. I'm still testing both versions. I also borrowed both console versions for further testing. The crash happens on all systems and all copies, as far as I can tell, although there is a rumor that the PS3 version has a 2.0 patch.

For research, though, I would like to know how many of you Digitally or Retail purchased Skyrim?

Edited by BarderothReturns

The crash happens on all systems and all copies, as far as I can tell

And yet I know at least 2 people with the exact same hardware setup as me who are running the game with no problems. One is a digital download, the other a retail copy. It's almost like the problem is an incompatibility with our brainwaves or something. Someone should try underclocking their frontal cortex and trying again. :wallbash:

EDIT: Mine is a DVD copy.

Edited by DanRocco

So I took an old HDD and installed a clean version of windows on it. nothing else, no patches no updates no drivers except for the latest ATI 11.11. Installed the game loaded my last save which is where the game crashed on me after about 30 sec. and everything works fine now. Not conclusive by all means but still.. something.

I haven't had a crash since I started playing the game on medium settings.

The game recommends me ULTRA but GPU usage shoots into the 90s, and that's where it crashes.

I think there's some sort of bad coding that makes the cards work too hard. On medium the max GPU usage I've seen is 45%. I played games like BF3 and my GPU usage was like 60-70% top.