On console mods, theft and Bethesda.net

Dark0ne

Thanks for taking the time to post this. It is a thorough and reliable source of the information i have been hearing rumors about recently. I know that these topics are kinda sucky, but thank you for your patience and hard work.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an incredible read but ultimately a very depressing and sad one. Here I was when I first played Fallout 1 and 2; a starry eyed RPG fan quickly falling in love with a new Bethesda franchise. Then Avellone's Fallout 2 genocide happened, stinking of juvenile corporate bullshit... and after 14 years, a gradual, but far worse effect, trickles into the Fallout series, and all of Bethesda's great modded games. First poor John Deilly gets his hard artistic work ground into dust after Fallout 2, and now so many mod authors on the Nexus are being treated in a similar manner by Bethesda? It seems even Bethesda will succumb to greed, complacency and ignorance, then... (sigh) none of this needed to happen. Fallout could have remained one of my most loved franchises, but this crap just splinters it into broken pieces that Bethesda is still trying to sell. I only hope it doesn't get any worse.

In response to post #39832980. #40268845, #40275465, #40295955 are all replies on the same post.

marc5477 wrote: It is my understand that mods rights are owned by Bethesda, not the author, as long as the mod does not break any sort of copyright law. Are you sure you aren't getting upset over nothing?

Since you dont own your own mod, what difference does it make to you, if someone does something to it without permission? You will never make money from it and you will not get famous from it (any more, since its so easy to do compared to the old days). So whats the point?

If you want to make money from game assets then by all means sell the assets and there are many ways to do that but dont put them into someone elses game without reading the contract for doing so. If someone took one of my mods I wouldnt care one bit as long as they are not making money from my work and they are not getting famous from it. If either of those ever happen, you always have a legal recourse. The only thing I ever asked is to just give me credit somewhere in the doc that I at least exist lol.

Have the rules changed since Morrowind?
Nitrate55 wrote: And what if they're not giving you credit when they take your work? Or, better yet, they're claiming every bit of your work for themselves, fooling people into believing that they are the ones who made it, that they're the ones who poured their hard work into it, and not you. I understand that you might not care, but there's a vast majority of people who do care about this kind of thing. People who cannot tolerate this kind of thing. For example, why would I want to continue creating my work at all if I know it's just going to get taken by someone else, that some thief out there is going to take credit for my work? I think it's enough to dissillusion some people from even modding at all in the first place
Solongchu wrote: http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html Read this and you will see that Beth doesnt own your mods.
RandomViolence222 wrote: Well modding would fall under derivative works, so yeah Bethesda owns your mods.

Not even remotely.
Especially in this case, where Beth has themselves granted the right, and the tools to create based on the work.
Then by directing those who have had their works taken by other parties to file legal claims.. they have wiped their hands of any claim to ownership.
You don't have to even be a shithouse lawyer to see that.
Plus it simply gets down to right and wrong.
If Beth revoked 'free pass' to mod their core program, they could then stipulate that any works are theirs. But, it still would be theft then if anyone posted any creation not their own anywhere.. as now they would be claiming, posting Beth's now declared property.. so no matter how you slice it.. if YOU didn't make it.. it aint yours to do anything with.
Edited by JeorgErsteman

In response to post #39832980. #40268845, #40275465, #40295955, #40487115 are all replies on the same post.

marc5477 wrote: It is my understand that mods rights are owned by Bethesda, not the author, as long as the mod does not break any sort of copyright law. Are you sure you aren't getting upset over nothing?

Since you dont own your own mod, what difference does it make to you, if someone does something to it without permission? You will never make money from it and you will not get famous from it (any more, since its so easy to do compared to the old days). So whats the point?

If you want to make money from game assets then by all means sell the assets and there are many ways to do that but dont put them into someone elses game without reading the contract for doing so. If someone took one of my mods I wouldnt care one bit as long as they are not making money from my work and they are not getting famous from it. If either of those ever happen, you always have a legal recourse. The only thing I ever asked is to just give me credit somewhere in the doc that I at least exist lol.

Nitrate55 wrote: And what if they're not giving you credit when they take your work? Or, better yet, they're claiming every bit of your work for themselves, fooling people into believing that they are the ones who made it, that they're the ones who poured their hard work into it, and not you. I understand that you might not care, but there's a vast majority of people who do care about this kind of thing. People who cannot tolerate this kind of thing. For example, why would I want to continue creating my work at all if I know it's just going to get taken by someone else, that some thief out there is going to take credit for my work? I think it's enough to dissillusion some people from even modding at all in the first place
Solongchu wrote: http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html Read this and you will see that Beth doesnt own your mods.
RandomViolence222 wrote: Well modding would fall under derivative works, so yeah Bethesda owns your mods.
JeorgErsteman wrote: Not even remotely.
Especially in this case, where Beth has themselves granted the right, and the tools to create based on the work.
Then by directing those who have had their works taken by other parties to file legal claims.. they have wiped their hands of any claim to ownership.
If Beth revoked 'free pass' to mod their core program, they could then stipulate that any works are theirs. But, it still would be theft then if anyone posted any creation not their own anywhere.. as now they would be claiming, posting Beth's now declared property.. so no matter how you slice it.. if YOU didn't make it.. it aint yours to do anything with.

No, Beth owns your mods. watch
. Read the EULA again. Edited by PirateZ86

You know, there are actually a lot of console players who claim that consoles are better than PC's. Usually, I ignore them, but in the past one could simply say "mods" to end the discussion right there (although then they'd say mods suck or "we don't need mods", etc). Now of course, the topic returns with those same players saying that "now we have mods, so consoles are even way better than mods."

I think it's ironic that the mods they now have had to be created on a PC.

In response to post #39832980. #40268845, #40275465, #40295955, #40487115, #40516110 are all replies on the same post.

PirateZ86 wrote: No, Beth owns your mods. watch
. Read the EULA again.

RTFPost

In response to post #39832980. #40268845, #40275465, #40295955, #40487115, #40516110, #40547280 are all replies on the same post.

. Read the EULA again.
mathiascronqvist wrote: RTFPost

I mean did you even read the giant article up there? He covers this. He covers every single thing you said, and you're wrong... on every count.

In response to post #39832980. #40268845, #40275465, #40295955, #40487115, #40516110, #40547280, #40548270 are all replies on the same post.

. Read the EULA again.
mathiascronqvist wrote: RTFPost
FishBiter wrote: I mean did you even read the giant article up there? He covers this. He covers every single thing you said, and you're wrong... on every count.

those that say they wouldnt care if their mod was stolen / uploaded under someone elses name obviously has not spent the long hours of putting together a mod and being frustrated at every little problem that arises.

people that mod dont wake up in the morning and say today is a great day to create a mod for someone to steal