On console mods, theft and Bethesda.net

Dark0ne

Bethesda throwing an incomplete and bug ridden product out is nothing new. I love their games, but without the unofficial patches and TES5edit to clear out ITM and UDR they are buggy and crash constantly. The reason their games are popular for such great lengths of time is because of the modding community. Granted they encourage that with the release of their creation kits.

It's understandable they want to spread that enthusiasm to the console audience, and if they can get some protections in place for the original mod authors then it could be a healthy thriving relationship. Unfortunately, no matter how much I enjoy Bethesda games, I don't hold out much hope for this to be fixed due to their history of launching buggy products for the modders to fix. And the modders cannot fix this issue of protecting their creations short of coming up with a way to make their mods not function on consoles.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't you just upload your mod to all places then it can't be stolen because it's already there. If you do it for pc both here and bethesdas site and the xbox and ps4 no one can steal it. Or can it still be stolen somehow?

I hope this gets fixed, it would suck if people stoped modding or delete their mod because of this. All these mods are what makes these games so awesome!

Edited by Addie2

In response to post #40006770.

Addie2 wrote: Can't you just upload your mod to all places then it can't be stolen because it's already there. If you do it for pc both here and bethesdas site and the xbox and ps4 no one can steal it. Or can it still be stolen somehow?

I hope this gets fixed, it would suck if people stoped modding or delete their mod because of this. All these mods are what makes these games so awesome!

Sounds like a simple solution when presented, but the biggest issue that that not everyone has the time, patience or desire to upload and maintain their work at multiple sites.

Plus, some just prefer one site over another, and refuse to use the ones they dislike.

In response to post #39761695.

DanielSignore wrote: I've been using mods on pc since fallout new vegas and I've always respected that the mod author can do whatever they want. It really sickens me that other people are taking advantage of others work.

Aawh, that's the spirit!
It's good to see few posters (whatever reason) with a long time around step up voice their concerns what currently happens, have a kudos from me!
I spent years of just using and reading what others made, before I started dabbling with mod creation myself. I propose you start a little yourself since you obviously have the right mindset.

In response to post #40008940. #40009045 is also a reply to the same post.

djtalks wrote: Wow, just wow... What gives someone who's community is all pc based the right to start bashing them and telling them to leave for thinking its better??
djtalks wrote: sorry I just stoped reading after that rant...

You understood nothing of that, or you just feel targeted because you act exactly in the spirit of that rant.

In response to post #39846420. #39895285, #39904470, #39940410 are all replies on the same post.

DeusCognito wrote: I can't see their decision as ignorant as they're the professionals, and seeing how they've made millions off their products, and how you're still sitting at home, only making mods. Also, no one would "have mods since Morrowind" if they didn't give you the materials to freely do so. Be careful, they will get tired of your communities' entitled bullshit and start charging subscription fees.
HybridEclipse wrote: Sorry, but... are you for real? The millions they make off their products is because they create things that are supposed to make people have fun, not end up frustrated because their creation gets stolen by some random douchebag. Oh, and if I wasn't "still sitting at home, only making mods", then all the wonderful stuff that is being hosted on sites such as Nexus Mods, which for some people is the only reason they are still playing certain games, you wouldn't have ANY of it. All of this was made by the community, and many of these games were able to stay alive because of it. You would be a fool to think otherwise...And a last thing. The only person who needs to be careful are Bethesda, because fun sells, but anger, dissapointment and frustration doesn't. Start charging subscription fees you say? HA.HA.HA. If they are able to withstand the reaction of the players, who, let me remind you, are the very people from which bethesda got their millions of dollars, then let them go on ahead and do it.
Renegade79 wrote: RLY? Bethesda did give us GECK or CK i've used only once for my optional tweak for Magnus Staff mod that's entirely 3ds Max/Nifskope model thang, and Nifskope, 3ds Max/Blender plugins or Material Editor are mods too. So as said Zenimax ain't even granted license to the stuff. Maybe someone would care to port my mods to xboxone if I let it, but I don't want them on PS4, because them Sony don't want me to play Infamous Second Son on PC. I even doubt xbox one models are in any way compatible with those SMIM models for Skyrim or even my transparent bottle thang for FO4 besides the fact consoles couldn't handle them due to hardware limitations (i'd bet $5 on xbones 16 ROPs melting the console on sight with 4 layers of blending anyway. They'd die with 5 fps even in 720p so if I 'optimize' my mod to work there I get LOL vanilla bottles... AMD at their best and basically that's why those bulbs in the Nucleus are so low poly and that explains why they only have one side ... have a nive tree sap). I even wonder if remastered Skyrim could even work with old nif format but even if it does that doesn't mean consoles can handle models meant for mid range cards of the year 2011. So PC master race still has their point in being so arrogant towards those poor consoles. They maybe have their reasons
Mr. Dave wrote: And again, the need for mandatory IQ tests for online access rears its ugly head.

Since you have no idea how modding works, yet feel as if you can threaten an entire community of those who do, I shall enlighten you.
1. Some of us have worked in the industry since before Morrowind was released, and we mod on the side because we like to.
2. Since Morrowind was released, there have been people who make tools for modding TES.
3. An entire mod the size of a game can be made without one single moment spent in the old toolkit, or the creation kits.
4. If it weren't for modders, none of the games past Morrowind would have had any improvements. Every upgrade you see in Oblivion, Skyrim, FO3, FONV, FO4 all came from ideas taken from modders. Horses, mounted combat, dismemberment, bows with strings, quivers, weapons showing in scabbards on the body when sheathed, crafting, NPC schedules and locked doors and shops, do I need to go on?

So yeah, you can take your attitude and threats and stick 'em.

"...and how you're still sitting at home , ONLY making mods." Well I guess you have no idea how modding anything works. THEY DO IT FOR FREE FOR OTHER PEOPLE (including YOU) but Beth is charging us money and often they do worse job than modders. With no offence intended please take your teddy bear and go play to your room.

In response to post #40008940. #40009045, #40010730, #40013950 are all replies on the same post.

djtalks wrote: Wow, just wow... What gives someone who's community is all pc based the right to start bashing them and telling them to leave for thinking its better??
Ethreon wrote: You understood nothing of that, or you just feel targeted because you act exactly in the spirit of that rant.
Ethreon wrote: Little boy got called out and starting throwing a hissy fit. Guess there's nothing to do here anymore.

@djtalks
THAT WAS NOT A RANT!
It was just a conclusion of what actually happened recently! Don't play victim! And might I say sober up dude?

This is not a WAR between PC and Console users whatever you insinuate (That was just a stupid lame excuse from you). It's about mod theft!!! NEVER try to push stuff for your personal political (retarded) benefit, it will backfire!

Creators of PC aimed mods that find their stuff on BethXXX.net for Consoles that was never optimized or tested to work on console platform EVER, now have to deal with upset Console users, and they have not a clue how that happened because they aimed for PC and now suddenly are responsible for a platform they not even play with?!

So my question to you is: Are you just acting! Or do you have some, you know diagnose? In that case you are forgiven. (I can't tell, with all your posts making you superior to me, master ,enlighten me with your grand knowledge, please!) Edited by Nimboss

In response to post #40008940. #40009045, #40010730, #40013665 are all replies on the same post.

Ethreon wrote: You understood nothing of that, or you just feel targeted because you act exactly in the spirit of that rant.
Nimboss wrote: THAT WAS NOT A RANT!
It was just a conclusion of what actually happened recently! Don't play victim! And might I say sober up dude?

This is not a WAR between PC and Console users whatever you insinuate (That was just a stupid lame excuse from you). It's about mod theft!!! NEVER try to push stuff for your personal political (retarded) benefit, it will backfire!

Creators of PC aimed mods that find their stuff on BethXXX.net for Consoles that was never optimized or tested to work on console platform EVER, now have to deal with upset Console users, and they have not a clue how that happened because they aimed for PC and now suddenly are responsible for a platform they not even play with?!

So my question to you is: Are you just acting! Or do you have some, you know diagnose? In that case you are forgiven. (I can't tell, with all your posts making you superior to me, master ,enlighten me with your grand knowledge, please!)

Little boy got called out and starting throwing a hissy fit. Guess there's nothing to do here anymore.