Boycott Beth.net

Mitigate

I am not a mod author but I decided to boycott Bethesda's mod site quite a while back, they make decent games that benefit greatly from their ease of mod-ability. But they do not understand modding and in their ignorance have damaged it multiple times; I blame the incessant "moar profits!" nonsense as much as I do their lack of understanding. Frankly, Bethesda games without modding are not going to sell particularly well, too many bugs, not as much creativity. Skyrim is still one of the crashiest games I have ever owned.

I'm glad we have people like you to tell the game developers how to make videogames. Thank you.

Your welcome. They learn more slowly than I would like.

Uh. No it was merely ignored. I claimed Bethesda didn't understand modding, he misrepresented my claim into Bethesda doesn't know how to make games. An impotent rebuttal made meaningless by the misrepresentation, which you two then swallowed hook line and sinker due to your superiority. Thank you both as well for maintaining your superiority so clearly. Perhaps now you also understand me or maybe not, I am done with you both.

Bethesda understands making games, mods are primitive games, therefore Bethesda understands modding.

Also if they did not understand modding, how did they manage to create this creation kit AND bring mods to consoles?

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am all for this. I gave Skyrim a negative review for paid mods when that fiasco happened. Because people stole mods on that too. Not that I didn't want mod authors to be paid, as I am an aspiring MA, but because it was so shady. I honestly think this 'bethesda.net' thing is another shady underhanded way to something bigger. Bethesda wants money, they want our money, and advertising money... If they can monetize mods for themselves they will.

I am not buying another Bethesda game, I am not buying a rehashed version of something I already own. I am done falling for that marketing strategy. But most of all, if Bethesda can't respect mod authors, then why bother.

I make mods as a hobby.. no, I am not good yet (to my standards), no i haven't released anything yet (because I am not good enough yet heh). But, here is the kicker...If Bethesda doesn't stop mod theft, or curb it. Then every mod I make will be private and shared with only the closest of friends. And I encourage MA's to do the same. Kill public modding to save it before they kill it for us all and can never do it again.

• 3 weeks later...

I make mods as a hobby.. no, I am not good yet (to my standards), no i haven't released anything yet (because I am not good enough yet heh).

Just do it. I used to think like that as well. For a not-as-popular-as-Skyrim game like Fallout.. your mod could at least get the exposure it probably deserves. Seen too many small but good mods get swept under the rug because they aren't made by "big name authors" who usually get 100k+ downloads.

I am a mod author, and I think Bethesda.net is awesome.

It provides insane amounts of traffic, and a whole new audience who can enjoy my mods. I'm having lots and lots of fun there. I think the real issue here is that some people have mistaken modding, a hobby, for a career. If you want to make money developing video games; Then make your own video games.

That and if you want to genuinely make mods into a profitable avenue, then you need to pay taxes. Which means you need to start a company. Which means you need to file tax forms and make annual reports. Which usually requires an accountant. Which on top of that requires a budget. Which then in turn requires revenue projections, and at that point you're basically running a game company so you might as well make your own products.

That's all I'm going to say. Bethesda.net is an amazing opportunity, I hope to port all my mods there when I find the time. I couldn't care less about Bethesda's corporate agendas, and it seems like the only people who do, are people who aspire to one day have their own corporate agenda. At which point, double standard much?

I think bethesda has been doing some screwy things and some nice things, some of those screwy things are easily movable into definitely nasty and unfair business practices, I don't buy that a company that makes its money off a good reputation has a right to continue to be respected if they turn their backs on it, it is in fact of matter the reason why I'm buying bethesda games, because they haven't been doing such things, as much as other companies to my knowledge, there's been some screwy things so there's no point in bringing them up to disprove my statement :wink:

that said, I'm not really interested in bethesda.net personally, I'm not exactly boycotting it, but it's more of me shunning it, I happen to prefer smaller scale communities with a more direct focus than... social media platforms as we typically think of them nowadays, and bethesda.net looks like that, and I'm an elitist snob who likes to run around in places where the best are at, or at least the company's semi cozy (so maybe it's not exactly elitism but a desire for general competency or higher than average levels of it)

there's no reason to make mod authors selling mods turn into a corporate capital venture of extreme complexity, but at the same time there's issues to be had with paid mods that noone's really addressed, it's mostly been handwaving with the magic wand of the free market and so on, but the train of history driven by marx ran over it and squashed it so it's a dead ideology
(see I can do ideology too)

there's probably an answer to this but I think it'll be more the product of a gradual disgestation of the situation than a singular ingenious idea from straight outta compton (nowhere)

I couldn't help but notice that there were some corner cutting events for fallout 4, and to be honest I think doom and unreal could practically have been a single game from the looks of it, bethesda's doing the equivalent of pulp fiction novel printing presses with their games it looks like, I hope they don't rely on that further, because it'll really kill the quality of the games

anywas, fingers crossed, so far it looks like they're playing semi nice, if one looks at why they didn't do an oblivion or morrowind remastered (yet) and this bodes well for my opinion of them as strict as I might be in my views of what a good company is or bad one is, what's too bad really is that I really had hoped there'd be 2 more quest style DLC rather than workshop DLC, the workshop stuff imho should've been there to begin with, while the quest DLC stuff would've been fine to sell multiple things of, I feel like storycrafting modules is one of their stronger points, I could be wrong as I haven't played NV for comparison but honestly when they do eventually get down to focusing in on things they tend to do better than the storylines for general worlds

that said, if they could work on that for their open world games a little bit, it would really really improve the stuff, and if they could work on it for it to be a little bit more existent too, I like that they did in fact use the modules to replicate how the original fallout 1-2 games used towns, it's good

Edited by tartarsauce2

That and if you want to genuinely make mods into a profitable avenue, then you need to pay taxes. Which means you need to start a company. Which means you need to file tax forms and make annual reports. Which usually requires an accountant. Which on top of that requires a budget. Which then in turn requires revenue projections, and at that point you're basically running a game company so you might as well make your own products.

Except it requires none of this and we already had a working example of that in April of 2015. You're literally making stuff up.

I feel that if paid mods were going to come back, they would have started that around the time the creation kit was released. Half the problem with the last time it was tried was by the time it was thought up there were so many people using each other's assets that it was practically begging to fall apart.