BSN is shutting down; files there could be lost.

Tarshana

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did yes, but stopped it again a few days ago. I'm now away from home, and prefer not to let my computer on when I'm not present. The download must be up to 600 GB, I think. Still far from finished though, and I don't think it could be done till October, even if I let the computer run 24/7. The bandwidth given by Bioware's forums is just too limited. Either that or HTTrack is the bottleneck, either way I don't know what I could do to backup everything.

The only way would be for Bioware to send us their website directly. Would be much faster, for sure, since they already must have archived backups.

Didn't fextralife backup all forum posts ?

Edited by CreeperLava

I did yes, but stopped it again a few days ago. I'm now away from home, and prefer not to let my computer on when I'm not present. The download must be up to 600 GB, I think. Still far from finished though, and I don't think it could be done till October, even if I let the computer run 24/7. The bandwidth given by Bioware's forums is just too limited. Either that or HTTrack is the bottleneck, either way I don't know what I could do to backup everything.

The only way would be for Bioware to send us their website directly. Would be much faster, for sure, since they already must have archived backups.

Didn't fextralife backup all forum posts ?

Aye, DA2 is on the import now and I believe that is all that is left. The other posts are there, plus I took down all the posts of the people who asked for it in the forums during the move. I sent out PMs to all the guide writers to let them know where their work was and that we can take it down if they wish it so. Over 500 people signed up on Fextra to keep their name associated with posts, and many are on bsn as well.

@Tarshana -- Uh... Fex still doesn't have ME3, which is the biggest forum on the site with almost 8 million posts. If you add up ALL the other forums, they are about the size of ME3, total.

Arguably, this is also where some of the information most necessary to preserve is, since along with DAO, it's the most modded game in the franchise -- and, obviously contains the most discussion of any other game.

Edited by moho25

NOTE: I realize a lot of you want the TMP7704 files. The GOOD news is that 90% of his files are imported from DA:2 which means any one of us can import it as well. I have just finished accessing the assets and I have some hairs from DA:2 in my Max3DS. While I will not able to mimic his exact import methods , I CAN provide alternatives to his tucked hair, qunari models and armour. So for people who miss out on downloading his files, I will provide alternatives so that they will not be lost. I have already created two of them.

This will take me a few weeks, I have a huge workload. Please be patient.

@Inventoriers --
New page up on the website.

This page is clearly aimed at BSN mod authors. It's all about communicating to them what to expect regarding the inventory. When we will/won't contact them, when their mod will/won't get uploaded to Nexus, etc.

Be aware that now this page is out and available for mod authors (and everyone else) to read, it means we now have to be very careful to follow the stated procedures to the letter. It's nothing that isn't already explained on the spreadsheet and that we're not already doing, I'm just pointing out that the site is much more public. Please give it a read. Also, this is likely the page you'll want to start linking when you contact authors.

Re: Permissions --
People contacting "hundreds" of mod authors should be doing so as a part of this project; not on their own. We cannot simply trust people's word that they have contacted an author and received permission. In all likelihood, it's someone who's trying to take advantage of the project to get a bunch of mods uploaded that shouldn't be. If they do, in actuality, have permission, then they can upload themselves; they don't need us to do it for them. Let's see if they are willing to put their own Nexus account at risk, lol.

If they have permission on our behalf, then they should be working as part of this project. If folks want to help out the project (but not really help out the project), what they should be going is asking mod authors to contact us. We're not going to play a game of "permissions by hearsay". If the author contacts us and we can verify it's them, then we can discuss permissions with the author directly. At which point, we'll ask them to re-upload their mods, themselves.

Related to this issue, I'll start keeping a list of active and past inventoriers on the author page. That way authors are very clear about who's involved with the project and who isn't. EDIT: List created.

@Tarshana --
Can you take a screenshot for me of the DAO Toolset? I want to use it as the featured image for the page. It needs to be 1000x443, and I'd prefer if it had a level or cutscene loaded into it -- not just an NPCs face. Something more along the lines of this, since it conveys more of the complexities of scene editing which is something not every modder branches into.

Edited by moho25

Hey was wondering if I might be able to help in some way.

I am reasonably OK technically wise, although I realise time is of the essence, and am quite good with admin type stuff, so spreadsheets n things.

I don't have any large storage either I'm afraid :(

Just thought I would try help being as it looks like they wan't to 'nuke' everything as such...