BSN is shutting down; files there could be lost.

Tarshana

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@giftfish I won't have time to make the edits, school begins soon for me. Did you take a look at the mods I reuploaded ? The description clearly state the origin of the mod, and permission are also clear as to who is the author and where the file comes from. It may not be absolutely necessary to make the edit in this case, although I'll follow the sample you provided for potential other reuploads.

Example : http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect2/mods/96

@Creeper -- I'd prefer if we keep everything uniform with the new BCN/BSN credit snippet I drew up, that way there's consistency regardless of who uploads.

That said, there's no rush, since you do have something in place. Feel free to implement the change to the previous uploads at your leisure, but please do use the new snippet from here out :)

Okay three more pages done.

Fixed 14 files that were downloaded and paged moved.
Added another author contact

What do we do about the Community Contest Framework; much of it was put up by Sunjammer, some are builder files. Not upload those is my guess, want a second opinion. I am going to looksee over the files uploaded and make comments and add some for Creeper if I come across them and he has not done so.

I am waiting to add anything to Nexus until I am done with the inventory just in case an author contact us in the next month while I do this. I am putting up lists with the other websites so no matter where people went to they all have access to the mod contents that are not hosted on Nexus.

Hopefully I can power through another 30 pages before the end of the week, fingers crossed. I took three more holidays >.>

@Tarsh -- I'm not familiar with the "Community Contest Framework". Can you provide a link?

"I am waiting to add anything to Nexus until I am done with the inventory just in case an author contact us in the next month while I do this. I am putting up lists with the other websites so no matter where people went to they all have access to the mod contents that are not hosted on Nexus."

Tarsh, if permission is given, go ahead and upload. There's really no need to wait. If permission can't be obtained, then we can't upload anyway, so it's a moot point. The exception is builder files, since it would be great if they could be uploaded as part of the mod. In that case, we want to give the author a bit of time to respond before uploading those.

Also, please don't feel pressured to take off work to work on the inventory. Ultimately, it's up to you, but from what BW has said, BSN isn't going anywhere come October. There's no real need to hurry at this point, we just can't be sure when they'll decide to shut down the site completely... and how much warning we'll get once they decide. Might never happen, but I suspect it will happen within a couple years judging from the time spac it took them to make BSN go read only to shutting down the entire forum.

Definitely no reason to get 30 pages done in one week, that's for sure :smile:

Edited by moho25

Thanks Mr. Dark0ne :)

Moho thanks, I will not wait :) I have a thing about unfinished projects and my work requires us to use paid holidays because the last three months is always busy and already has stat holidays built in so it ends up being the perfect storm really. Even if BSN isn't going anywhere might as well get it done now. Tomorrow is not guaranteed so I do what I can this day :)

This is the project : http://social.bioware.com/project/4161/ It has builder information and people used it before. So I have no idea what to do with that or if I should just mark it for a Nexus judge?

@moho25 and @Tarshana; I was most definitely expressing my personal (low) opinion of the behaviour of the "fextralife" crowd, not the most excellent and ethical approach your (informal) team has taken. You guys are preserving works that are "free for the downloading and personal use" as intended by their authors, then offering to make them available to others only with their authors' permission. That's how this sort of thing should work, and I'm glad to see you doing it! :thumbsup: