Guys who play girl characters

theonecrisco

What I really miss in the ES games is any kind of dual pathing based on gender. -And no, I don't mean somebody patting a female PC on the rear and calling her "honey," or giving a male character a "manly hug"--which are two stereotypical reactions that do sadly pop up in real life cultures--but rather differences that could be derived from game-based cultures where they exist. Just suppose for one moment that Nords left magic (except for bards) to women, or that Dummers had a tradition of male shamans. Both of these are based on realworld facts from a few cultures, but how would such a game play out if you encountered different quest systems as a result in areas occupied by these races?

But then, we could also ask how Skyrim would have played if the developers considered differences between Nord players and non-Nord players, between warriors and mages or thief types, etc. Checks for profession, race, and sex aren't something Bethsoft has ever gone in for, much. Sadly. Thing is, at least the gender differences might have provided for at least two very different gameplay experiences. More, if it were done correctly.

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HadToRegister is a really nice person, and I like him a lot actually, (and I'm not picking on you! it's just the way things are) but notice how he dumbed down his response for the little ladies who don't get science, biology, or anthropology?

I wasn't dumbing it down for anybody out there, I was dumbing it down for me, because I wasn't explaining my position well at all, and being a visual person,

I thought a graphic would help explain my point better.

I meant this:

Now, please don't take this as sexist etc, but I'm working on a Science degree, and we have to talk about this in an analytical way in Biology etc,..

:blink: Did someone say "shoes" ? :unsure:

I meant this:

Now, please don't take this as sexist etc, but I'm working on a Science degree, and we have to talk about this in an analytical way in Biology etc,..

:blink: Did someone say "shoes" ? :unsure:

I added that disclaimer not because I assumed anyone in this thread was 'dumb', I added the disclaimer so I could add to your post with the Biological/Anatomical explanation on why your article about the certain "Shape" of Women are deemed favorable without offending anybody.

Since my scientific points were describing biological/anatomical desirable traits about women, I added the disclaimer to point out that I was reporting this stuff, WITHOUT it being my OPINION!.

I didn't want people to think that those points were sexist or anti-woman.

Jeez.......can't I ever say anything in this thread without it getting misunderstood, picked apart, and destroyed?

I LOVE Women and worship them OK?

I figured since this thread has been focused on "Artistic Shape/Beauty" that if I added the "Clinical/Evolutionary/Biological" reasons why some traits are

just automatically deemed "attractive" that some people would Somehow find it offensive, because it is breaking down shape/behavior/genetics etc....

:confused:

I agree with everything you say, but everything I post gets attacked. :confused:

Obviously my 'opinion' time in this thread is over as I am now just spending my time in here defending every single minutiae of my opinion, and honestly, I'm just feeling attacked and singled out.

What I really miss in the ES games is any kind of dual pathing based on gender. -And no, I don't mean somebody patting a female PC on the rear and calling her "honey," or giving a male character a "manly hug"--which are two stereotypical reactions that do sadly pop up in real life cultures--but rather differences that could be derived from game-based cultures where they exist. Just suppose for one moment that Nords left magic (except for bards) to women, or that Dummers had a tradition of male shamans. Both of these are based on realworld facts from a few cultures, but how would such a game play out if you encountered different quest systems as a result in areas occupied by these races?

But then, we could also ask how Skyrim would have played if the developers considered differences between Nord players and non-Nord players, between warriors and mages or thief types, etc. Checks for profession, race, and sex aren't something Bethsoft has ever gone in for, much. Sadly. Thing is, at least the gender differences might have provided for at least two very different gameplay experiences. More, if it were done correctly.

Generally spekaing, this is D&Dism. The idea that 'Men and women of the realm' both do the same things with the same degree of ease is a fantasy mainstay, and unfortunately not something which is supported by either biology or anthropology. It would be great to go through the mountains of Highrock and find towns rules over by Breton Witches, only to descover that, in Elswyerr only males lead. It would also be nice to have some difference amongst the various pantheons. Only female Priests of Azura, or instance (though i don't think i've ever seen a male one). It adds depth and cultural character to the world.

Even then, i would love to see the world react differently based on your gender. Thats something of a lost hope, i fear, as we don't even have it react based on race in any particular way. I usually write this off as limits of the genre, but with Bioware making DA3 open world, we'll see if they can create their usual depth. If not, then i will stand by my statement... If so, well... Bethesda will have to step up to the plate hmm?

As for guys playing female characters, i view it as an expression of the fantasy. Be someone your not, do things you can't, kill people and take their money with no (or limited) legal recourse. Playing a different gender is just an extention of that idea, the same as playing a different race. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

As for gender differentiation in game, I don't really see that happening. It could be possible among NPCs, but when it comes down to player character, I think it would be despised because of limiting choices. Or maybe some will say "an interesting solution, hmm.." but then the first mod to come out would be "male can be breton witches patch" or "female priests unlocked". The reason D&D, Elder Scrolls and many other games are more or less gender neutral to the extend of biological improbability is not some feministic insight or any other worldview issues - it's simply appeal to the wider audience - most of the players would like not to have any options cut out because of their gender choice.

What I really miss in the ES games is any kind of dual pathing based on gender. -And no, I don't mean somebody patting a female PC on the rear and calling her "honey," or giving a male character a "manly hug"--which are two stereotypical reactions that do sadly pop up in real life cultures--but rather differences that could be derived from game-based cultures where they exist.

I would find that the more interesting approach than limiting player's choices.

You'd had to stand up for what you are and make your way in a basically unfriendly environement. It would be a challenge. I know, most players won't like that, but you could find parts of it when for example playing a female Shepard in Mass Effect or playing a female in Dragon Age Origins.

Edited by abaris

Be nice if they could have hurled in a pile of gender based options....if nothing else it also lets you flesh out NPC's. Someone can actually be a sexist dirtbag, or a lecherous irritation, or any number of other things which also apply to race but no-one bothered adding. I walked into Windhelm as a Dark Elf, got a single line of gob from the resident nasty man before I punched his face off, one line of nasty ambient dialogue from the tavern keeper.....and job done. Wow. I'm feeling really discriminated against here. Someone get the pitchfork, the Dark Elf is in town. *yawn*

By bothering to discern gender, so much more fun can be had. Which is also great advice for life in general by the way, unless you happen to be incredibly liberated in your thinking.

I play both, whichever looks best in the race I want. For example I would never play a female Orc cause male Orcs are just beastly and female Orcs are so damn ugly. Also I would never play a male wood elf because they all remind me of Fargoth and the Adoring Fan ;D Edited by Vallen87

• 3 months later...

Because I spend so much time playing that I'd rather look at female backside rather than male. :rolleyes:

My thought exactly.

I hate when I re-play Fallout 3 and the 3rd person view is sort of off to the left side (over the shoulder view), then all of a sudden when I least expect it, the character is now out in front-center. At that point I'm like, "Yes, i can now see her butt". :) Looks nice in Ranger Green or leather. Not so nice in armor :(

*** Edit ****

My bad. I thought I was replying to a Fallout 3 discussion, not Skyrim. Crap.

Edited by RadRich