⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Site redesign - sneak peek - part 1

TheTokenGeek

In response to post #41268610. #41268860, #41289960, #41290075, #41297445, #42172885 are all replies on the same post.

BlindJudge wrote:

It’s been a little while coming, but today I’m pleased to give you all a little glimpse into the labour of love that is the newly redesigned Nexusmods.com.

Please take a watch of the video below and let us know your feedback.

Like I mention in the video this is a very early version and certain things are not fully functional as yet, we are looking at changing certain aspects of our framework to make continued development easier, but this means that our time-frame has slipped a little.

Breaking down the video I’ll run through certain parts of the site, firstly the look. We tried many designs, some more ‘radical’ than others, and ran them past the staff and focus group to determine which would serve you all the best in being both aesthetically pleasing while also retaining the high level of functionality that you are used to. The design also had to work with the numerous break points that we wanted to implement and we are really pleased with this end result.

The navigation needed to be easier than what we currently have and be well laid out, responsive to the mouse, able to be used on touchscreen devices and intuitive. I think we have truly nailed all of these. The site functions just as easily on a tablet as it does a desktop and this makes browsing the site while out and about or laying in bed a pleasure.

At the top of the homepage we have the games. This is keeping inline with what we have on the existing site and should make people feel more at home. We have dropped the portrait boxart images and have replaced these with landscape images that can show more iconic and recognisable images from the games we host. To enable users to reach the games that they are most interested in quickly and easily we have also included the ability to add games to a personalised favourites menu. You can have up to 8 favourites at a time and these can be quickly and easily managed from within the menu.

Underneath games, we have gone with the news and articles. This may be a little controversial, but we have discovered through extensive research and heat-mapping that this part of the site is often skipped over and our users jump straight into the game of their choice. We’re hoping that having the news and articles close to the top of the site will interest enough people to take a look. In the same vein, we would like to offer more compelling content in this section, , creating our own as well as having guest contributors get involved. If you have any ideas, then please feel free to drop me a PM or email me at [email protected].

Next, we come to the mods section of the page. This is the front page so you will see mods from each and every game on the site. This will be a great place to see what has just been added to the site and also check out the new ‘random’ tab which will provide you with a totally random selection of mods from our repository. This will also be a feature on a per game basis, allowing users to get their fix of ‘hidden gems’.

At the bottom we have the footer, this is as exciting as a footer gets. It sits there with lots of links on, each of which will host a redesigned page. Feel free to to take a click through when it’s released.

I’d like to mention that what I don’t show is how responsive the site is for different screen resolutions. It doesn’t matter if you have a 4k screen, a 1080p screen or a smartphone, the site will look and function fantastic on all of them.

Profile and collections are going to be introduced at a later date and I’ll be sure to get a post out in the near future covering these in depth.

So what do you think? Please let us know in the comments. We welcome constructive criticism!

----------------------- UPDATE -----------------------
Hey everyone,

Told you we listen :D, following on from all the comments and feedback we are receiving the:

[+] Download Mod

is being removed, users will now be required to go to the mod page (as before) to download any of the files. Keep the comments and constructive critisicm coming, we love our community and really want to do right by you.

Kind regards

Paul
--------------------------------------------------------

disi30 wrote: Sooo, only the front page changes and we can still switch to a "Skyrim" or "Fallout4" only page? Looking for the Top 200 or the recently added files/new/videos/images?
/ranton
Or are we forced to view all sorts of game's mods now and scroll out mouse-wheels off because of the large pictures so people can use their fingers to surf the web?
/rantoff
Flag mods we want to monitor the activity for?

p.s. since I have no influence whatsoever, this is meant funny but also as feedback ;)

pps. so I just read you answered to another comment, we will get a mix of mods now and cannot switch to a specific game. This is very bad imho.

I mean how many games should I mod and support or even play at the same time to even be interested in the mix?
azzendix wrote: I need option to show only specfic game that i'm modding.
electrophil wrote: It looks great! But then, this is one of my favorite sites. It's always looks great.

For us simple guys that mod and play one game only, will we still be able to go straight to that game?
BlindJudge wrote: Hey there,

Disi30 - Like the current site EACH game will have it's own 'home' and you can see the mods for only that game there.

This is just the front page for the site :)
Papajack55 wrote: I have a question. If we think a mod is efficient and good enough to make excellent reports on to the nexus community besides the maker(s) of the mod, will we be able to do so?

yeah, I thought he'd said that each game would have it's own page, which is good.

It looks nice, and, I'll totally second a 'follow this mod' option.... some mod collaboration tools on the site might be a pretty nice long-term goal eventually, too, because all of the big mods need teams of fine folks working on them.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a web developer for my day job, I'd love to have access to a beta server where I can help test by actually making consumer use of the site. I'm not going to be one of those idiot's that complains about unfinished stuff, but only looking at things and mentioning them if I think they're a problem for the user, or an active bug. So when you're out of local and alpha testing but are ready to have the production data available through the new design, and I'd be happy to make use of both sites, when I find something I actually can't yet do on the new one.

In response to post #41545960.

UhuruNUru wrote: My main complaint, remains the same for the new design, as the old.

Why isn't it using the full width of the browser.
I can't believe you cant design it to adjust to the full screen size, or at least the standard 16:9 one.

All the empty screen space is wasted, the site should fill my entire screen, whatever resolution I use.

Not be in a horizontal version of "Cinemascope"

+1 for this !

adaptive browser width !
i'm on 34"...I will use it definitely

Looks a lot better. I'm wondering, though, if there will be any consideration for mod categories. For example, some modders prefer non-nude and non-sexy mods. But the hidden gems are hidden because they are buried in mountains of cleavage. I'm not trying to judge anyone (well, I mean sometimes I wonder what some of you people think women look like).

I just wish there becomes a way for good non-sexy mods to be funneled to the top via trending. Right now, all we have is filtering out those types of mods for searching and toplists, which is great if your non-sexy mod is already super popular, but not if it's new and you're not a well-known modder.

Again, I'm all for the freedom to make your game full of naked people that kind of look human, but maybe that should be taken into consideration for facilitating the flow of mod publicity and making some of the gems less hidden.

Edited by Phorcys24

You seem to have missed out on the tag feature, Where you can tag certain types of mods to not display for you. This is not new, it has been around for several years and it actually works.

In response to post #42350935.

bben46 wrote:

You seem to have missed out on the tag feature, Where you can tag certain types of mods to not display for you. This is not new, it has been around for several years and it actually works.

Huh, I suppose the block feature does work quite well. Thanks for the tip. But that helps more experienced users much more than mod authors, who rely on newer modders.

Again, that's a great feature, but I think it could still use improvement to be more natural or easier to use for newer people. I still think a site redesign could improve it without even requiring the user to set preferences, yet still see what the sexy and non-sexy communities are both up to at a glance.

Thanks again, though, for pointing me to that feature.

Will there be a way to not show notifications for mods of specific games when browsing the Nexus of a different one?

If I'm on the Fallout 4 Nexus and track each mod I use in order to know when there's an update, I don't want to see those update notifications if I'm on the Skyrim Nexus. Currently, all tracked mods regardless of game go through the same notification feed turning it into a jumbled mess.

I could see it working as an optional feature since there are probably many people that like to see all notifications regardless of Nexus.

In response to post #42359315.

Sean39 wrote: Will there be a way to not show notifications for mods of specific games when browsing the Nexus of a different one?

If I'm on the Fallout 4 Nexus and track each mod I use in order to know when there's an update, I don't want to see those update notifications if I'm on the Skyrim Nexus. Currently, all tracked mods regardless of game go through the same notification feed turning it into a jumbled mess.

I could see it working as an optional feature since there are probably many people that like to see all notifications regardless of Nexus.

Have you tried turning this option off already in your preferences?

There's the option "Game-specific notifications" labeled "Display only notifications relevant to the game you are currently browsing" and it seems to be on "No" by default.

In response to post #42359315. #42361910 is also a reply to the same post.

Sean39 wrote: Will there be a way to not show notifications for mods of specific games when browsing the Nexus of a different one?

DrakeTheDragon wrote: Have you tried turning this option off already in your preferences?

There's the option "Game-specific notifications" labeled "Display only notifications relevant to the game you are currently browsing" and it seems to be on "No" by default.

Somehow I completely missed it, my mistake.
Using that setting works flawlessly, thanks.