Support the Nexus not steem

Randaworgie

First off, people need to stop flaming modders when they post a mod... It's the modders that make Nexus.

I'm definitely not interested in supporting Steam DRM, and large corporations in general. The Nexus has been serving me well for a long time, so why go somewhere else?

Not to mention, sure modders may get "paid"... But that means that players will have to "pay" for the mods they download that modders get paid for.

Beth or Valve isn't going to just be giving money away...some one is going to have to pay, and you better believe there will be a middle man or two.

Plus some of the best modders don't want to get paid for their mods... and how hard do you think it would be to force some one to pay for something they've been getting for free all their lives?

I also believe that they will adapt some of the best mods for console DLC. I think that is why they put all that fine-print in the agreement.

Edited by OnlyOneWing

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see Steam workshop as a threat other than the possibility of Bethesda and steam programing things in such a way that you have to use steam app to make mods work.

As for why, well theres several sites out for FO3 FNV TES3-5 mods but all of them pail in comparison to Nexus. I dont mean this in a Nexus fanboy way but rather that their selection is usually small and poorly made. Often many come with hidden trojans and what not. Then the community is in general absolute s***. Steam already suffers from all of these with their own TF2 job on steam works. They do not moderate properly both mod uploads and commentary.

With this sure there will be a few gems as people unaware of Nexus will love steam. Hell I didnt know of Nexus until my sisters boyfriend told me about it, 3 years after I had been playing Vanilla Oblivian, morrowind, and FO3 for hundreds upon hundreds of hours.

So to roll it all up what we have here is a comparison somewhat like this:

Nexus

PROS

-Good solid community

-Quality control on mod uploads

-High quality mod, and mod projects

-Easy to navigate and post requests for mods, requests for help on a mod project, and overall discussions.

-Easy mod catagorization and community tagging.

-Omni supported game mod manager

CONS

-Not easily recognizable or findable on a global basis

-Smaller Audiance

-Limited number of modders

Steam Works

PROS

-Easy mass introduction to a world wide audiance.

-Larger possible modder base

CONS

-Poor overall community

-lack of moderation on comments and proper mod quality

-Mods are stuffed onto a one catagory flip through the pages list not easy to find specific types

-No mod manager as yet

So I think we can see whos heavy on which end. We just need to find a way to get the Nexus name and ip address out there for more guys to find so they can come and join in the fun!

Nexus

PROS

-Good solid community

-Easy to navigate and post requests for mods, requests for help on a mod project, and overall discussions.

-Easy mod catagorization and community tagging.

-Omni supported game mod manager

CONS

-Total lack of quality control on mod uploads

-Smaller Audience

Fixed, imho anyway.

Put into account that Nexus has a huge jump on Steamworks with mods for FO series and Morrowind/Oblivion. Technically Nexus has thousands of Skyrim mods out, even if only 50 of them are worth downloading right now. Steamworks is going to have the same quality control issues as Nexus... Specially since it is more accessible to the "noob" modder.

Heck, even if I do one day use Steamworks to DL mods it doesn't mean I would abandon the Nexus... You are allowed to shop at both Walmart and Target, ya know? lol

"We’re excited to share news that we’ve been working closely with Valve to integrate Steam Workshop into the Creation Kit. Using the Workshop, you’ll have free user content with the push of a button."

Granted Bethesda's lied before, so I won't hold my breath, but I don't see the need to get worked up.

"We’re excited to share news that we’ve been working closely with Valve to integrate Steam Workshop into the Creation Kit. Using the Workshop, you’ll have free user content with the push of a button."

Granted Bethesda's lied before, so I won't hold my breath, but I don't see the need to get worked up.

Read the whatjemecallit - Terms of Service? For Steamworks. Clearly states that Valve can choose to make mods paid. Secondly, did you read Robin's newpost a while ago when this first broke? He asked for clarification about the matter and received something like

"Our focus will be on providing free content"

Which clarifies absolutely nothing. Further calls for clarification have been met with an increasingly familiar wall of silence, so it seems pretty likely that paid mods are A: Inevitable and B: going to cause a PR disaster for Bethesda, hence the stalling tactics.

It probably won't be all that bad. Coming from the Sims custom content community (which has been grappling with official exchanges and pay site since the word go) I'm happy to predict that the Nexus will be fine, and that Steamworks will turn into a chaos of poorly thought out and poorly created mods which are severely limited in scope to boot - I can't see a script or graphics extender project being welcomed by Valve, considering past conduct.

Pirates may or may not get in on the action - Over in the Sims community, Pescado is infamous as a maverick coder, jerk and pirate and has more or less gained complete legitimacy in the community, despite being associated with Pay Sites Must Be Destroyed, which effectively steals pay-content from pay sites, especially TSR, a site which literally almost everyone hates. Then again, there's a flimsy EULA justification for the anti-pay movement, so I'm not sure if that could ever take off over here.

Just my "two cents" I suppose. I certainly shan't be using Steamworks.

I see more great mods ending up like Counter-strike. Honestly not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

I was just reading about it and it sound like 0.5% of modders would get any money and what they would get would be so pitiful compared to what Stream would earn from the mods.

The donation idea is good, I would definitely use it.

Matt Grandstaff confirmed to me that it will not be automatic for mods to upload to Steam Workshop when you use the CK.

So just don't do it! Also it has been mooted as a suggestion to state that there is some adult content in your mod which means that they won't have it on Steam Workshop anyway.