Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager and the introduction of Tannin42, our new head of NMM development

Dark0ne

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #43221435.

janishewski wrote: I'm glad this is happening as work on NMM has gotten progressively worse. I appreciate your honesty about the mess it has become. Earlier this year NMM worked and was stable, but with each update new problems were introduced and old ones never solved. My request is that the new manager have the profile system of MO, but I also want the mod list from NMM. I like to organize all of my downloaded mods into my own categories through renaming them. Just have a mods tab, a load order tab, and a current profile tab showing which mods are installed from your mod list on this profile. Also, in the meantime while you are developing the new NMM, could you put up an older stable version, because the current update is completely broken. Good luck.

Yes, MO's profile system is an absolute MUST in my book! Plus, I don't know about NMM, but I do know that with MO, you can just manually download mods onto your computer and then copy/paste them into the downloads folder--from what I've read in various mod comment sections, downloading via NMM is generally not as reliable, nor is it always possible to begin with.

In response to post #43221435. #43222990 is also a reply to the same post.

janishewski wrote: I'm glad this is happening as work on NMM has gotten progressively worse. I appreciate your honesty about the mess it has become. Earlier this year NMM worked and was stable, but with each update new problems were introduced and old ones never solved. My request is that the new manager have the profile system of MO, but I also want the mod list from NMM. I like to organize all of my downloaded mods into my own categories through renaming them. Just have a mods tab, a load order tab, and a current profile tab showing which mods are installed from your mod list on this profile. Also, in the meantime while you are developing the new NMM, could you put up an older stable version, because the current update is completely broken. Good luck.
Onichu wrote: Yes, MO's profile system is an absolute MUST in my book! Plus, I don't know about NMM, but I do know that with MO, you can just manually download mods onto your computer and then copy/paste them into the downloads folder--from what I've read in various mod comment sections, downloading via NMM is generally not as reliable, nor is it always possible to begin with.

Except it is completely possible to download manually or automatic with NMM. So.. nonsense much?

I use a customized version of the NMM (previous version) because I needed some UI related bugs that annoyed me.

So I have a little knowledge of the internals and I can tell you (although you probably miss this post) that the UI programming has way too many hands involved. Things are done multiple times differently because I bet that different people wanted something and didn't know that others had already implemented the same in another place.

All the UI code in NMM got too complex for what it is really (a few docking panes with grids and toolbars). So in my opinion, what you need is to switch to something more declarative like WPF to simplify your UI.

Please take that into consideration since WPF will allow to reuse the mod/omod/fomod related code that you already have (all that is not UI related) and also will be more simple to maintain. And should you feel the UI needs to be changed afterwards, well with WPF you can change it without changing the code most of the time.

While I'm glad you've decided to rewrite NMM from the ground up and hopefully offer everyone a much better experience (and I'm very much looking forward to it), the months of silence on the issues plaguing the current NMM have been unacceptable. I think you need to provide more updates on plans - and follow up. Publicly acknowledge issues and let us know you're working on them even if a fix is a month away. This applies to the website revamp too. Don't leave us in the dark... Dark0ne.

I've done manual modding, OBMM, FOMM, Wrye Bash modding, NMM modding and Mod Organizer modding. With the help of the modding community and tutorials, I've always managed to get a modded game playing and working great.

So far, I would have to say Mod Organizer has been my favorite Mod Manager. Just started using it last year on a fresh intall of Skyrim, and with awesome help of GamerPoets and Gopher on Youtube, it has been relatively hassle free. Though I still go into the Mod Organzier mod files and manually mess around a bit.

I think it's great that Tannin42 is going to work with Nexus for the next Nexus Mod Manager release. Since I haven't modded up and played Fallout 4 yet, I look forward to trying out the new NMM upon release for that game. Hopefully, the Profile system that Mod Organizer uses and keeping the Data folder untouched will be implemented. I love that about Mod Organizer.

In response to post #43213960. #43215115, #43215850, #43216775, #43216980 are all replies on the same post.

darthbdaman wrote: We'll see how this turns out I guess. This makes me very uncomfortable

NMM has never been a particularly stable or powerful mod manager, and has only gotten worse with new features added to ape MO. It is slow, crashes a lot, and just does a worse job than MO at basicallly everything. If MO supported more games, I wouldn't even have NMM installed. If I do have to use an older manager, I use FOMM or OBMM, as they are more functional at this point. I don't mean to harangue anyone, and it is far better than anything I could write, but it simply withers in comparison to the alternatives.

MO, on the other hand, is an amazing piece of software that I couldn't live without anymore, and it will be a shame to see it die. Hopefully this new NMM (NNMM?) will draw far more heavily from MO than old NMM. MO is simply a sleaker, faster, and far more stable piece of software that I actually enjoy using (unlike NMM).

I'll try to remain hopeful, but I have some serious doubts about this decision. It will depend heavily upon the inspiration taken for the final product.
silencer711 wrote: It depends wholesomely on what you make[NMM] it do. For some of us, we install mods in a specific order, from a personally curated list and don't mess with it from that point because our end goal has been achieved.

I have no experience with MO, I'd love to try it but currently I have a stable, organized 122 mod install with NMM 62.1

Credit is due however, to the albeit aging NMM, as it is an ORIGINAL piece of software that sort of came first from where others have built upon it or based their own managers upon its features and abilities.
Not speaking for Tannin42, but if I was going to create a mod manager from scratch I would look to others as a template, write my own code to do the same and just add features from everyone else's mod managers to make mine the ultimate one lol. You gotta start somewhere.

-Keep in mind: If the author of your favorite mod manager is now head of NMM development, you can expect the new NMM to present all the best things about NMM and all the best things from MO... no need to have serious doubts here. :)
darthbdaman wrote: We'll see. MO is an invaluable tool as an author and a user. Having it regress towards an NMM feature set isn't exactly ideal from my position. It could turn out fine, but I will reserve judgement
Biohazard186 wrote: Considering the developer of MO is the lead developer of the new NMM I wouldn't worry one bit. Lead developers are generally in charge of the actual development process and philosophy. I expect we'll see a "best of both worlds" outcome with the new NMM.
Charmareian wrote: MO is the best manager by far. I don't have to say more because what you said mirrors my opinion.

@darthbdaman: Yea I feel ya. I have a desktop that runs my playthrough mods, and a laptop that I create mods on. I understand a mod author's point of view any day.