Big changes for the Nexus Mod Manager and the introduction of Tannin42, our new head of NMM development

Dark0ne

Do you know two things I would REALLY like to see?

1. Being able to completely uninstall and delete multiple mods at once.

2. Revert back to when you uninstall a fomod mod, and then reinstall it, it asks you for all the fomod options again. THAT one really irritates me. So I have to delete the entire mod again in order to change a fomod option. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #43389245. #43391895, #43394075, #43413580, #43418170, #43421690, #43422755, #43423015, #43433395, #43435465, #43445355, #43447505, #43461630, #43463345, #43469650, #43500015, #43500925 are all replies on the same post.

shizitmonkey wrote: Before I buy a game I see if it has files on NMM.. no files no sale.. the other game developers besides Bethesda should take note..
I am 60years old, love video games and don't know squat about modding. That's why I love NMM..
Also thank you all you talented smarties for making such awesome mods...
louiethelooper wrote: i would like to ditto to shizitmonkey- am also 60,thank god i was feeling lonely here. and also dont know jack of modding and depend on this site for this type of gaming exp.We might the exception to the rule but keep us in mind and thank you for this awesome site.
tanyferan wrote: ditto im 64 and agree with the above comments
Kroekr wrote: I am a young whippersnapper at 56 but I agree with shizitmonkey
smith1999 wrote: 60 in June, I believe that this hobby is a great way to enjoy retirement and am gratefull for all the talented people on this site.
Sergeant Rock wrote: Wow! All this time I thought I was an old codger here at 55! Nice to know other people my age still enjoy gaming. I have lot's of younger friends that game but only a couple near my age that still do. Anyway totally agree with you... thanks modders!
RodelB wrote: I am 51 now would this be far too young to join your society? Well I agree to what shizitmonkey said and I would like to add that in my opinion what Nexus provides is on a high level of professionalism anyway
tonycubed2 wrote: Damn. I am 50. And I mod like hell. I feel young now. We should form a Guild. The Golden Age.

But no, I cannot say I love NMM. It has over reached and caused much pain with its useless multi profile features. And I nver had a problem report acknoledged.

I am grateful for Nexus. And for NMM. But it needs to now its limits and stop trying to uninstall and reinstall 240 mods to change profiles. Here is my nexus site full of horror stories:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/70019/?
brown1962 wrote: 54 years old and only got into gaming because of Fallout 3, when I saw a friend play it. Now I have spent all my spare cash on a good gaming rig and laptop, so I can carry on playing in my work breaks. Anything that helps me download and add mods easily is definitely worth it. Can't wait to see the new manager/organiser and don't care what it's called. Here's to all the other "Silver Gamers" out there............Keep up the good work, after all "Age is only a number"!
mwhenry16 wrote: I'm 60, love gaming, my 22 year old daughter was banging a keyboard playing before she could walk, I know a little about modding, and I too love NMM. It's nice to know there are many boomers here too, hoo rah!
nickrud wrote: 60 here, but also a devoted user of MO for Skyrim (programming 6502 in the 80's prepared me for it ;).

Tannin probably won't see this but I dropped $50 into his paypal years ago - more than I paid for skyrim. I was one of those who feared that he'd hit the dreaded project killing bug when his commits to MO2 dried up in July.

Kudos to Nexus for paying him a lot more than I can!
dePog wrote: I am also 60 and Skyrim is the first game I have played with mods. I even bit the bullet and started to create some mods despite the "joys" of the amazingly unstable Creation Kit :) Even though I can code in several languages it took a while to wrap my head around Papyrus.

I have used NMM since the release of Skyrim and love its simplicity. Looking forward to the new one.

Cheers
dePog
HadToRegister wrote: 53 here.
I once learned PASCAL in college, back in '94, don't remember any of it though.
Started gaming on the C64, then migrated to Atari STE1040, because of the UI and built in MIDI ports, eventually moving to PC.
ScrubGhost wrote: I'm 46 and my old man is 70 something and he started modding skyrim and is now into fallout 4. There is a lot of people who started decades ago and continue on. As gopher says "have fun"!
Ianana wrote: Added this to a wrong post, oops.

I'm going to be 60 in May of 2017 and female. So yeah, there a lots of us. I always was looked at by my kids friends and the weird mom who games like a kid.

I still have OBMM and FOMM from Timeslip on my older secondary gaming computer and I still use Wrye Bash on all my computers in various versions depending on my game. All along with NMM in 2 flavors. I have 5.6 installed on my older gamer because it works for a heavily modded Oblivion install that I have no intention of reinstalling and also for another earlier install of Skyrim.

I use NMM 6.3 for F04 and 5.6 for Skyrim on my newer gamer for same reasons as above.

I am a bit crazy because I use both NMM and Wrye for F04 management. I can't help it old habits die hard with this old gal. There was nothing so wonderful as a heavily modded Obilvion using Wrye bashed patch and challenging the 255 limits. Gee do I miss tlhe simplicity of that. Right click-merge. CBash was my friend.

Never used MO, but it did have interesting promise.

Now if NMM could also show us like in Wrye the installers screen with information on the mod installation itself, well I would be jumping up and down. NMM needs this for mod triaging when crap goes sideways. I like seeing the files with folder structure. Yeah, call me old gal, but it works. Oh, Yeah a saves tab too, need this.
moosemother12 wrote: 66 for me. I keep telling myself that I should learn how to make mods, but I seem to be far better at using them than creating them. So far at least.
Amardon wrote: Damn, there's a lot of us old farts modding Skyrim, Bethesda in general. I am 56 and having a great time with games, thanks to ALL the mod builders! I am so happy, they keep the game fresh for me. Over 2500 hours and loving it.
Thanks NMM.

wow! I can't believe I got to see this here! glad to see the older generation modding and gaming because my dad doesn't game much anymore sadly. just so happy to read all of your post about still gaming. makes me wanna cry tears of joy because I'll be one of you in 42 years lol (just turned 18) happy gaming everyone!!

In response to post #43389245. #43391895, #43394075, #43413580, #43418170, #43421690, #43422755, #43423015, #43433395, #43435465, #43445355, #43447505, #43461630, #43463345, #43469650, #43500015, #43500925, #43532630 are all replies on the same post.

shizitmonkey wrote: Before I buy a game I see if it has files on NMM.. no files no sale.. the other game developers besides Bethesda should take note..
I am 60years old, love video games and don't know squat about modding. That's why I love NMM..
louiethelooper wrote: i would like to ditto to shizitmonkey- am also 60,thank god i was feeling lonely here. and also dont know jack of modding and depend on this site for this type of gaming exp.We might the exception to the rule but keep us in mind and thank you for this awesome site.
smith1999 wrote: 60 in June, I believe that this hobby is a great way to enjoy retirement and am gratefull for all the talented people on this site.
Sergeant Rock wrote: Wow! All this time I thought I was an old codger here at 55! Nice to know other people my age still enjoy gaming. I have lot's of younger friends that game but only a couple near my age that still do. Anyway totally agree with you... thanks modders!
RodelB wrote: I am 51 now would this be far too young to join your society? Well I agree to what shizitmonkey said and I would like to add that in my opinion what Nexus provides is on a high level of professionalism anyway
tonycubed2 wrote: Damn. I am 50. And I mod like hell. I feel young now. We should form a Guild. The Golden Age.

But no, I cannot say I love NMM. It has over reached and caused much pain with its useless multi profile features. And I nver had a problem report acknoledged.

I am grateful for Nexus. And for NMM. But it needs to now its limits and stop trying to uninstall and reinstall 240 mods to change profiles. Here is my nexus site full of horror stories:

brown1962 wrote: 54 years old and only got into gaming because of Fallout 3, when I saw a friend play it. Now I have spent all my spare cash on a good gaming rig and laptop, so I can carry on playing in my work breaks. Anything that helps me download and add mods easily is definitely worth it. Can't wait to see the new manager/organiser and don't care what it's called. Here's to all the other "Silver Gamers" out there............Keep up the good work, after all "Age is only a number"!
mwhenry16 wrote: I'm 60, love gaming, my 22 year old daughter was banging a keyboard playing before she could walk, I know a little about modding, and I too love NMM. It's nice to know there are many boomers here too, hoo rah!
nickrud wrote: 60 here, but also a devoted user of MO for Skyrim (programming 6502 in the 80's prepared me for it ;).

Tannin probably won't see this but I dropped $50 into his paypal years ago - more than I paid for skyrim. I was one of those who feared that he'd hit the dreaded project killing bug when his commits to MO2 dried up in July.

dePog wrote: I am also 60 and Skyrim is the first game I have played with mods. I even bit the bullet and started to create some mods despite the "joys" of the amazingly unstable Creation Kit :) Even though I can code in several languages it took a while to wrap my head around Papyrus.

I have used NMM since the release of Skyrim and love its simplicity. Looking forward to the new one.

Cheers
dePog
Started gaming on the C64, then migrated to Atari STE1040, because of the UI and built in MIDI ports, eventually moving to PC.
ScrubGhost wrote: I'm 46 and my old man is 70 something and he started modding skyrim and is now into fallout 4. There is a lot of people who started decades ago and continue on. As gopher says "have fun"!

I'm going to be 60 in May of 2017 and female. So yeah, there a lots of us. I always was looked at by my kids friends and the weird mom who games like a kid.

I still have OBMM and FOMM from Timeslip on my older secondary gaming computer and I still use Wrye Bash on all my computers in various versions depending on my game. All along with NMM in 2 flavors. I have 5.6 installed on my older gamer because it works for a heavily modded Oblivion install that I have no intention of reinstalling and also for another earlier install of Skyrim.

I use NMM 6.3 for F04 and 5.6 for Skyrim on my newer gamer for same reasons as above.

I am a bit crazy because I use both NMM and Wrye for F04 management. I can't help it old habits die hard with this old gal. There was nothing so wonderful as a heavily modded Obilvion using Wrye bashed patch and challenging the 255 limits. Gee do I miss tlhe simplicity of that. Right click-merge. CBash was my friend.

Now if NMM could also show us like in Wrye the installers screen with information on the mod installation itself, well I would be jumping up and down. NMM needs this for mod triaging when crap goes sideways. I like seeing the files with folder structure. Yeah, call me old gal, but it works. Oh, Yeah a saves tab too, need this.
moosemother12 wrote: 66 for me. I keep telling myself that I should learn how to make mods, but I seem to be far better at using them than creating them. So far at least.
Amardon wrote: Damn, there's a lot of us old farts modding Skyrim, Bethesda in general. I am 56 and having a great time with games, thanks to ALL the mod builders! I am so happy, they keep the game fresh for me. Over 2500 hours and loving it.
Thanks NMM.
CrimsonEros wrote: wow! I can't believe I got to see this here! glad to see the older generation modding and gaming because my dad doesn't game much anymore sadly. just so happy to read all of your post about still gaming. makes me wanna cry tears of joy because I'll be one of you in 42 years lol (just turned 18) happy gaming everyone!!

Wow... You're all so old......... (not a bad thing) just messing with you guys. but you make me feel so young. since I am. I'm only 21

In response to post #43389245. #43391895, #43394075, #43413580, #43418170, #43421690, #43422755, #43423015, #43433395, #43435465, #43445355, #43447505, #43461630, #43463345, #43469650, #43500015, #43500925, #43532630, #43533200 are all replies on the same post.

Cheers
dePog

Thanks NMM.
CrimsonEros wrote: wow! I can't believe I got to see this here! glad to see the older generation modding and gaming because my dad doesn't game much anymore sadly. just so happy to read all of your post about still gaming. makes me wanna cry tears of joy because I'll be one of you in 42 years lol (just turned 18) happy gaming everyone!!
Dodger3637 wrote: Wow... You're all so old......... (not a bad thing) just messing with you guys. but you make me feel so young. since I am. I'm only 21

LoL, agreed shizitmonkey.

I'm in my late 20's, early 30's and still purchase their games in this manor.

I do at times though, delve into the other programs to see how they may fair, but by far the best to use, for me, is NMM.

Oh geez....

So basically when we end up being forced to change over to "Tannin" we will ALL have to RE-INSTALL every single teeny tiny microscopic stinkin' mods we've already installed to Fallout 4 or ANY of our games that we have used NMM for?!

This is the issue I freaked out about when I had to do this with Skyrim, I had basically fixed every mod error fixed with my mods being installed to Skyrim the way I had them and them all the sudden 1 day NMM decided to have a HEFTY update asking me to update to the "new way" it had with it's brand new "major changes" which included having to re-install ALL over again.

For this very reason, if you ARE going to make a BRAND NEW mod manager, make it 100000x easier to re-install mods without everything breaking or make it perfectly easy to IMPORT ALL of our information from NMM to Tannin so that it's not only compatible, but also usable as if nothing has changed in your game.

---- otherwise I'd just stay with NMM then.

Worst part about everything is if we don't switch from NMM to Tannin at some point in the future there will be a chance things will refuse to work correctly and then many of us will be caught in a crossroad of either giving up on modding our games or just never wanting to finish re-installing them altogether because if importing them from NMM to Tannin won't work in the future then neither 1 of those programs will be any good because NMM will be outdated & dead while Tannin will at some point work just fine, but the installation information is all screwed cause you've gotta deal with all the technical jump to re-activate & install all your mods again with ANOTHER brand new mod manager...

> _<

Edited by Kenjinshi

And Please please make the UI with 4K resolutions in mind. MO and its tiny font is terrible at anything over 1080p. I notice it in allot of games too. you jack the resolution and UI becomes unreadable. 4k especially by the time this project is in its prime should be well into full swing. So please. UI scaling .

In response to post #43538185.

Kenjinshi wrote: Oh geez....

So basically when we end up being forced to change over to "Tannin" we will ALL have to RE-INSTALL every single teeny tiny microscopic stinkin' mods we've already installed to Fallout 4 or ANY of our games that we have used NMM for?!

This is the issue I freaked out about when I had to do this with Skyrim, I had basically fixed every mod error fixed with my mods being installed to Skyrim the way I had them and them all the sudden 1 day NMM decided to have a HEFTY update asking me to update to the "new way" it had with it's brand new "major changes" which included having to re-install ALL over again.

For this very reason, if you ARE going to make a BRAND NEW mod manager, make it 100000x easier to re-install mods without everything breaking or make it perfectly easy to IMPORT ALL of our information from NMM to Tannin so that it's not only compatible, but also usable as if nothing has changed in your game.

Worst part about everything is if we don't switch from NMM to Tannin at some point in the future there will be a chance things will refuse to work correctly and then many of us will be caught in a crossroad of either giving up on modding our games or just never wanting to finish re-installing them altogether because if importing them from NMM to Tannin won't work in the future then neither 1 of those programs will be any good because NMM will be outdated & dead while Tannin will at some point work just fine, but the installation information is all screwed cause you've gotta deal with all the technical jump to re-activate & install all your mods again with ANOTHER brand new mod manager...

> _<

On the other hand - backwards compatibility, be it in mod managers or operating system, usually tripples the cost and developement time and still fails. So I would vote AGAINST your suggestion.

In response to post #43538185. #43544085 is also a reply to the same post.

> _<
J.O.D. wrote: On the other hand - backwards compatibility, be it in mod managers or operating system, usually tripples the cost and developement time and still fails. So I would vote AGAINST your suggestion.

Dude, wheres the appreciation?

Tannin didn't get paid for his efforts and here you are bustin' on him. As far as the NMM goes sometimes to take a step forward, you have to take a step (that seems like a step) back. I feel your frustration but this is also one of life's lessons. If your not enjoying it, put it down for a while and come back later when your heart is right.

It's a game.

In response to post #43541315.

Tonytomato wrote: And Please please make the UI with 4K resolutions in mind. MO and its tiny font is terrible at anything over 1080p. I notice it in allot of games too. you jack the resolution and UI becomes unreadable. 4k especially by the time this project is in its prime should be well into full swing. So please. UI scaling .

Thank you. That's the new way of things and would be much appreciated.

In response to post #43538185. #43544085, #43545310 are all replies on the same post.

> _<
J.O.D. wrote: On the other hand - backwards compatibility, be it in mod managers or operating system, usually tripples the cost and developement time and still fails. So I would vote AGAINST your suggestion.
SillySilverSongbook wrote: Dude, wheres the appreciation?

Tannin didn't get paid for his efforts and here you are bustin' on him. As far as the NMM goes sometimes to take a step forward, you have to take a step (that seems like a step) back. I feel your frustration but this is also one of life's lessons. If your not enjoying it, put it down for a while and come back later when your heart is right.

It's a game.

I honestly had a lot of difficulty with NMM. I'm using MO and I've had my first stable Skyrim run though since I got it on PC.

All things considered, I'm kind of excited. This is like the site reskin. I feel like the site and all of it's working parts are getting a facelift with the help of the modding community. Edited by scott5412