What video games did you play most as a kid?

CadenceOfHerLastBreath

Growing up, I had two options for gameplay: PC games and a few games I had to accompany the Super Nintendo. You know, the old gray box with the sliding purple power and reset buttons, games the size of bread slices, and controllers that were invented before the word 'ergonomics' had entered the dictionary :P Ya, it was oldschool, and I loved it.

On the computer I had a deep abiding love for the Lego games. Lego Loco in particular was awesome fun. Build big worlds however you wanted them, and have little people and vehicles come to populate it and interact with it. You even got car and train crashes, and a volcano! So may hours spent on that game, I absolutely loved it.

My other Lego favorite was Lego Rock Raiders. This game was basically an earlier version of Age of Empires. Lego Rock Raiders is based on the premise that a bunch of people on a large space transport receive heavy damage to their space ship and flee to a galaxy which is rich in glowing green energy crystals. They land on one of the planets and go underground to begin mining the precious crystals. On each level, you build a mining base and overcome the unique obstacles in order to reach your quota of energy crystals. There's hostile landscape, crystal draining slugs, base-destroying and character-killing monsters (ranging from rock, ice, and lava monsters), limited amounts of oxygen, and even lazy guys to whip into shape. Coordinate your troops, don't let your base be destroyed, and get out of the caverns alive. A delightful and moderately challenging game. My mother and I were addicted to it for the longest time, and I still want to play it really badly. I don't think it'd run on Windows 7 though :(

For the Super Nintendo, the classic games of Donkey Kong Country (LOVED that one), Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario World, and Mortal Kombat.

Every once in a while, I was lucky enough to play The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on Nintendo 64 at my best friend's house.

That's what I grew up with, what about you? What oldschool games populated your entertainment center?

Something like Balagor's experience. TV? only black & white at those times :)

But, the childhood apart, the first games I played were those of more complex nature, like strategy, simulation and RPG, and never actually got into fighting games, platform and the such. But then came the sons and they was all about it, then...

First game i ever played was Tomb Raider ...Yup it was like mind f*** for me, and it was pretty damn hard. So because back there i was poor and i could only afford Pentium II i didn't had any internet. So i somehow miraculaously <--- I know that's not the word, but i literally REVEALED the cheat codes, it was...left,right,up,down,3 times turn around, and jump! That was the cheat code i think and honestly i don't know how i found out about it. It was just instinctive. But hey there were other games i played. Counter-Strike just running around on maps, then nintendo games: Super Mario, Donkey Kong, Castelvania :) Oh my God, those were the days :pirate: ...

-RavveN-

Sorry, I am too old, for when I was a kid we had no such thing to play with except for very basic games such as white dot and line games. I am fifty years old and grew up during the 1960s and 1970s. I do remember games that had basic tank shapes, white, that ran around a simple maze of white lines. You either fought the AI or another player. I was in my twenties by the time more elaborate video games came along like Space Invaders and Donkey Kong. Then came Wolf3D and the world of video gaming transformed for me. Edited by Maharg67

im 21 born 1990. i gre up with a Nintendo and Super Nintendo playing Mario and Super Mario 3 and Super Mario Kart. then at some point i got a Game Boy color, and played Pokemon Heard/Silver/Crystal for a loong time and were the only games id ever played on a Gameboy. and either before or after that i got a Ps1, and i played mostly Crash Team Racing. and the 3DO Army Men Games. loved those games.

as for PC, we had one. idk how old i was when we got one. i basically always remember having one (but i know we didnt) id have to say around 6 or 7. idr internet, though i do remember not being able to be on the phone and the computer (internet) at the same time. but the games id play on there were Math Blaster, Where in the USA is Carmen Sandiego and a game called Chex Quest.....i just recently tried to see if i could install the last two games on my laptop, but it has issues. my mom couldnt install them either on her PC (both W7 Pro) though she was able to download them and play them, whereas i couldnt do that either. idky she could i couldnt but w.e. then a little later, prolly when i was 10 or 11 i discovered StarCraft and was addicted!!!. then after i got a Ps2, and while that wasnt that long ago, i was still a kid. and i played a bunch of games. Star Wars Battlefront. Dynasty Warriors 3-5. Armored Core 3. and the Simpsons Game are all ones that pop into my head. then of course Ps3 but i wasnt a kid when that came out (in relation to myself now of course)

a few years back my mom got me an Atari Flashback that had some cool games on it. i didnt play it too much, but it was fun.....,my Mom still has her Atari actually. and all her games.....as for me, i still have all my Playstation games, 1 and 2. (though sadly i dont have a PS1 console anymore, and i dont think my Ps2 console works anymore, i know it was failing towards the end)

When I was a kid there were no such things as video games. TV was in it's infancy, small screen black and white with a blurry image. (Yes - really) when I got older, we had to make our own video games. My first attempt, when I was 17 in 1963, was actually on a surplus store oscilloscope - we still didn't have computers to play with. It was similar to pong - but years before pong was released. Everything was breadboarded and was made from discrete components - no LSI, integrated circuits or LEDs.

The setup actually took advantage of instability - a blip would be emitted from a random location on the left side of the 4 inch screen. The player - using a potentiometer, had to move another blip up or down to intercept. If they did, the original blip was sent back. And another blip was sent immediately from a different location. If they missed, a new blip was sent as soon as the original one left the screen. There was no score keeping. The only variable was the speed of the blip - adjusted with another potentiometer. The instability in the circuit randomized where each blip started. :tongue: