[LE] Skyrim Tutorials

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Any way to get a tutorial on how to save/export a non-glossy normal map for clothing, like jeans material, in GIMP? I see it for Photo Shop, but nothing for GIMP. I've tried SO many settings and variations to not have the texture come out glossy but it does and I need some help.

Thanks.

CR

Any way to get a tutorial on how to save/export a non-glossy normal map for clothing, like jeans material, in GIMP? I see it for Photo Shop, but nothing for GIMP. I've tried SO many settings and variations to not have the texture come out glossy but it does and I need some help.

Thanks.

CR

If it's a normal map (with the purple coloration), increase the transparency - objects that are not glossy generally have nearly invisible normal maps. Make sure to export the file in a compression format that supports transparency (generally would use "BC3 / DXT5") if it's a normal map, otherwise it will be at 100% glossiness.

If it's a specular map (which in Skyrim is grayscale), reduce the brightness.

Also, make sure you're naming the file correctly: normal maps end with "_n" and specular maps end with "_s". The rest of the file name must match the diffuse texture it is being attached to.

There are two other areas the problem can lie in: NIF settings and ENB settings.

To my knowledge, there's a value in NIF files called "glossiness," which shouldn't be set too high. Definitely don't set it too high on body meshes unless you want characters that look exactly like plastic dolls. I know this affected meshes in Oblivion, not sure about Skyrim.

Specular lighting can be affected by ENB settings. If you're using an ENB configuration, reduce the "SpecularAmountMultiplier" (affects overall amount) and "SpecularPowerMultiplier" (appears to exponentially increase shininess) settings in enbseries.ini.

Edited by rinoaff33

I made a huge basic tutorial about making custom creatures for Skyrim using parts of already existing creatures on the game.

(Making the model and stuff with 3Ds Max, Etc...)

(Putting the model in game using Nifskope and the Creation kit, Making new Leveled lists, Etc...) Edited by Grohiik

Hey guys, a user at another modding forum asked for a tutorial on how to create custom artwork to use in your mods, so I thought I'd make one. This series uses the Pictures and Frames modders resource by Artisinax and is a step by step comprehensive guide to making your own custom oil paintings with GIMP, and getting them into the Creation Kit. This is my first tutorial, so if you have comments (good and bad) I'd love some feedback. Even if you already know how to do what I'm teaching, I'd still love to hear your feedback. Hopefully, this series will help folks not familiar with these procedures. Enjoy! (I'll go ahead and add links on the wiki too.)

Tutorial 1 - Skyrim Custom Oil Paintings - Getting Started:

Tutorial 2 - Skyrim Custom Oil Paintings - Cropping and Scaling your Screenshot in GIMP:

Tutorial 3 - Skyrim Custom Oil Paintings - Use filters in GIMP to customize your Screenshot:

Tutorial 4 - Skyrim Custom Oil Paintings - Creating Normal Maps for your painting in GIMP:

Tutorial 5 - Skyrim Custom Oil Paintings - Getting your custom art into the Creation Kit:

Tutorial 6 - Skyrim Custom Oil Paintings - Loose Ends and final thoughts:

• 5 weeks later...

Bethesda has released this Creation Kit with no manual.

I want to know this:

1.how to create a follower (that follows*), meaning where can i find a description of the factions and relationships ect that make this possible.

1a. Are there any settings that together ruin an NPC mod?

1b. How do I create a Vendor, that is follower, and regular.

2. Where can I find a listing of existing NPC's using the Creation Kit...I would have assumed it was under Skyrim.esm, but I cant find Lydia...(I was hoping to use her as a model for characters in the future)

3. How can I fix the Preview Window for Object Edit, its so thin I cant see what im making...

I want to take a big s*** on Bethesda's Development team for releasing this without their manual, They HAVE to HAVE one, this is insane.

hi i tried to make a shout but i can not unlock it with a dragonsoul, have i missed something?

• 2 weeks later...
Hello with the new Caliente v3-2 release i been wanting to use it but the armors mods i have are base on Caliente v3-1. So instead wating for someone to convert them can some point me to some tutorials or guides as to how convert this armor mods by my self from v3-1 to v3-2. Any help would be greatly appreciate. :psyduck: Edited by bv2097