[WIP] Atvir Dres: The Last Prince of Tear

JanusForbeare

@ Phreespirit: Heh, your timing couldn't be better, I've just been talking to the AD dev team. We are 90%+ ready for alpha, though I (as the one doing the voice work and scripting) have been struggling for the past week with a persistent dialogue bug - see here if you think you might be able to help.

I apologize for the lack of updates - I'm more or less the project runner, so it's on me. The only excuse I have is that more of my attention has been on the development of the project rather than PR (I also have a real life to think about, from time to time). That being said, let me give you all a quick run-down of where we're at:

PRE-ALPHA GOALS

Introductory quest

Tracking quest (keeps a marker on Atvir at all times)

"Call Atvir" companion summon spell

Full companionship functionality (follow, wait, favorstate, etc.)

Player assigned home and hang-out spots

Summon-able/ride-able follower horse

Does not contribute to follower count

Fully-voiced conversation topics, combat topics, and random banter topics (appx. 500 lines and counting)

Fully-polished voice files

Custom armour and weapon meshes/textures

As you can see, we're damn close (sodding close, as Atvir would say). I promise that it won't be long now!

Haha! I've been told often that I have very good timing. Thank you for the explanations and responding back to me!

Very understandable situations, real life has that pesky ability to keep us busy. I'd love to help but unfortunately I'm no modder by any means.

Wow! You guys are close! I can't wait to test this out! I'll be watching the forums for your release. :thumbsup:

Edited by phreespirit316

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am happy to announce that as of today, the alpha version of Atvir Dres: The Last Prince of Tear (click on title to go to file) is available to the public!

For those who may not be aware, AD is comprehensive voiced companion mod styled after the extremely successful Companion Vilja follower mod for Oblivion. It adds the titular character to the New Gnisis Cornerclub in Windhelm, where he can be recruited by players looking for a follower with a bit more substance than those found in Vanilla. Among the features that have made it into alpha are:

-Hundreds of lines of fully-voiced dialogue (and counting!)

-Full companion functionality (wait, follow, favour state, plus a couple of extra options)

-Separate from Vanilla follower factions and scripts, reducing the chance of mod conflicts

-Atvir does not contribute to follower count

-Tracking quest to keep tabs on Atvir

-"Call Atvir" spell to summon him to your side

-Summonable, mountable steed (named Bellekynd, or "Thundering Sky" in old Ayleid) for Atvir

-Dialogue-driven "Set Home" and "Set hangout" (morning, afternoon, and evening) options

Of course, this is still an alpha, and there are likely to be a few bugs, but Atvir is fully-voiced, fully-functional, and eager to "kick some sodding arse" at your side! Thank you all for your patience up to this point, and stay tuned for future updates!

Edited by JanusForbeare

Woot! Congratulations on your alpha release!

Thanks for your support! And be sure to watch this thread for news about the upcoming cosmetic overhaul!

Also, as a sidebar - due to a technical FUBAR, commenting is currently disabled on the mod, and I can't re-enable it. Please leave any comments or questions here until this issue is resolved.

EDIT: For those who might be wondering, the cloaks seen in the images on the mod page are from Winter is Coming by Nivea... also a member of the A.D. dev team (currently developing Atvir's skin). I highly recommend it.

Edited by JanusForbeare

From what I could experience thus far it was excellent, however, I seem to have an issue - he doesn't follower. Atvir doesn't leave the Cornerclub. I'm playing a custom race, and since you have race-related dialogue could the two be related? Or is it a mod conflict?

From what I could experience thus far it was excellent, however, I seem to have an issue - he doesn't follower. Atvir doesn't leave the Cornerclub. I'm playing a custom race, and since you have race-related dialogue could the two be related? Or is it a mod conflict?

Interesting. You're the first person to mention this issue, so my gut instinct says, yeah, mod conflict. That being said, Atvir was specifically designed not to conflict with other follower mods - his "follow" function comes from an Atvir-specific script. I'm not quite sure what would cause this problem.

Race-specific dialogue has yet to be implemented (beyond keeping Atvir from making too many disparaging remarks about the race the player chooses), so that wouldn't be the issue. Can you go into a bit more detail about how far you've gotten? It sounds like you've gotten through the intro dialogue (ie. all the way to "I've heard enough. Pack your bags, Atvir."). What part, exactly, isn't functioning correctly? Is the problem that Atvir doesn't follow when you tell him to - or that you don't see the option at all? If he's not obeying your order, does he at least respond to it verbally (ie. "Heh... famous last words." etc.)?

It might also be worth mentioning the mods you're running, and making sure that you're running an up to date (1.6) version of Skyrim.

EDIT: One more thing. Go to your SteamApps/Common/Skyrim/Data/Scripts folder and make sure that you've got JFADAtvirFollowerScript in there (that's the script that contains the follow function - obviously, it's critical to the mod).

Edited by JanusForbeare

Retracted. Still troubleshooting problem. Will respond ASAP.

Okay. First off, to answer your question, there have been no other mod conflicts or errors reported. You're lucky number one (and two).

Secondly. I'm curious, does the quest "A Path Crossed" appear in your quest log? That's the intro quest, and Atvir's initial dialogue is found in it. I would assume it's active if you get the dialogue, but there's a chance it's not. If you can't see it there, open your console and type:

startquest JFADDialogueIntroStandard

The quest is set to Start Game Enabled, which I would have assumed starts it when the mod is installed, regardless of whether the user is starting a new game or not. I may have been wrong, and that may be the root of your problem.

EDIT: After reading more about the "Start Game Enabled" command, I'm beginning to suspect that this is the issue.

Start Game Enabled: This option is only available for quests with no triggering Event. If this box is checked, the quest starts running at the beginning of the game. Otherwise, it will not start running until the Start, SetStage, or SetObjectiveDisplayed commands are used.

I may have to make a couple of small changes to the initial dialogue to compensate, but assuming that's the problem, I should be able to have a fixed version out tomorrow. Please get back to me if you can and let me know if the console fix resolved your issue.

Edited by JanusForbeare