502 Bad Gateway errors

Rabbit1251

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't pretend to fully understand how these things work and if what I'm about to suggest would even solve anything, but would it be possible to make registration and being logged-in, mandatory in order to even enter any of the Nexus' mod sites? As it stands, you can't download most mods anyway, nor post any comments, without first logging-in.

So, if you're not already logged-in, you will be re-directed to a plain, low-data page (with no flash/images etc. - therefore consume much less of the domain's bandwidth). This page will absorb most of the hits. Only after your user name and p/w are verified will you be directed to the sites.

Does that make any sense?

I know a number of sites that have a "FRONT DOOR" - this page is a "sample" that allows people to do exactly that "sample".

If they want more - they have to register for the site to be 'welcomed in'.

Then you can track the users / abusers quite easily. They also, in some groups, get put on a temp Moderation - which for some sites that simply would not work and some are simply put on a 24 - 48 hour HOLD - to make sure they are not just there to "hit and run".

At some point - there has to be some sort of "Moderation" of new members - even it's just the "FRONT DOOR" and to be welcomed in - you MUST Register.

I have noticed a pattern. It seems in the morning (approx. 4-9AM EST), the DoS attacks aren't occurring. We can rule out most of Asia and Australia as the source of the DoS attacks in this situation. That means that the DoS or DDoS attacks are likely within Europe, Africa, South America, or North America. For DoS we'd just have to guess, although request intervals should give them away. As for the DDoS botnets, I'd do an IP lookup on these countries - If we are lucky, we will find that most of the botnet IPs nearly match in number, aside from the last digit - Hackers and spammers are often smart enough to not use the botnet farms that share these IPs, unlike the kiddies and the tools they download.

Edited by ziitch

I have noticed a pattern. It seems in the morning (approx. 4-9AM EST), the DoS attacks aren't occurring. We can rule out most of Asia and Australia as the source of the DoS attacks in this situation. That means that the DoS or DDoS attacks are likely within Europe, Africa, South America, or North America. For DoS we'd just have to guess, although request intervals should give them away. As for the DDoS botnets, I'd do an IP lookup on these countries - If we are lucky, we will find that most of the botnet IPs nearly match in number, aside from the last digit - Hackers and spammers are often smart enough to not use the botnet farms that share these IPs, unlike the kiddies and the tools they download.

No - that time does not rule out anyone - to be honest. I know a lot of kids in Asia and Australia that are up till the 'wee hours'. I actually had a scheduled Skype with a friend in Aussie - he had to get up "early" for him for the chat ... only to find his 15 year old still on-line gaming. He had to tell him GET OFF AND GET TO BED!

I'm in the uk and as I said before, 3 or so weeks on and off. I can access and download from all other sites apart from new vegas. Has anyone got even a quick (temporary) fix for this issue? I like the front door approach, how would that impact how freely the site flows?