Now can we say "no more wait for skse"

VulcanTR

Should i wait for SKSE?  

158 members have voted

1. 1. Should i wait for SKSE?

• Yes it will release soon
    • Yes but don't expect it's release soon
    • No they cannot release because of reverse engineering, sorry.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shelved SE pretty much within the first 30 days of it's release. I tried to get into it, but always just in the back of my mind kept telling myself that if I was just patient for a bit longer.. just a couple more months... Almost a year since the release of SE and I've still not gotten into it.

I have decided however that I'm done waiting for SKSE64, despite really missing some minor convenience mods that required a script extender, but will continue to hold out until Tannin's new Vortex is open for public use. I miss MO2, and just wasn't convinced it was running my SE all that great, so I'm waiting for the next mod manager before I bother playing SE. Maybe SKSE64 will be out by then, who knows.

but se is horrible in performance its like oldrim with the worst enb imaginable

This-- I'd like to chime in and say that I was super surprised just how horrible my SE ran on my system that used to play Oldrim flawlessly with 50+ FPS, using max number of plugins, best-in-class ENB's, all settings pushed to the max, predominantly 2k+ textures, etc etc.... and Oldrim still out-performed SE. Maybe I was just doing it wrong, or MO2 had conflicts, etc etc. SE looks better however, I'll give it that much.

Edited by SkyrimCliff

I've read this thread with interest. Like many, I was excited for SKSE64 and dithered over moving to SE. But, I went for it. If you are using Win 10, it's probably the best way forward. My game runs like hot butter. Hardly a flicker or jitter at all.

Months later I have a fully modded game (250+ with some merged), use Mod Organizer 2, LOT, Wrye Bash, FNIS, TBBP, an ENB, and generally an FPS of 60. The game rarely crashes. My only bugbear is the dialogue menus corrupt, with options dropping out. I believe that may have been introduced in a Bethesda update.

My strategy is an occasional game exit, have a breather, then restart. That seems to clear the build up of unusual game engine oddities like wonky menus. UPDATE - I discovered this problem was caused by a mod.

The game looks gorgeous - because I can load it up with texture packs. However, the things I miss most from Oldrim are: HDT; the superb skin tones from ENBs; the convenience of the MCM menu system, and a few mods that still wait for the new SKSE in SE.

HDT may never transition to SE - people should be aware of this fact. It is not entirely dependent on SKSE, because it needs a new 64bit DLL from HydrogenSays and he may not bother with one. However, another 'Guru' out there might work up an alternative physics that could be used without SKSE. We'll see.

New mods that work around the lack of SKSE are coming out all the time, and it is great to see some conversions of old classics that have been refreshed. I have converted a few for my own use too: for example Lively Inns and Taverns converts and works very well in SE (in original Skyrim under Win 10 it was rather hit and miss).

TL:DR - play Skyrim SE. At first I wasn't sure but, over time, it's become my preferred version of Skyrim. SKSE will be a very welcome icing on an already great cake, if and when it arrives.

I've read this thread with interest. Like many, I was excited for SKSE64 and dithered over moving to SE. But, I went for it. If you are using Win 10, it's probably the best way forward. My game runs like hot butter. Hardly a flicker or jitter at all.

Months later I have a fully modded game (250+ with some merged), use Mod Organizer 2, LOT, Wrye Bash, FNIS, TBBP, an ENB, and generally an FPS of 60. The game rarely crashes. My only bugbear is the dialogue menus corrupt, with options dropping out. I believe that may have been introduced in a Bethesda update.

My strategy is an occasional game exit, have a breather, then restart. That seems to clear the build up of unusual game engine oddities like wonky menus.

The game looks gorgeous - because I can load it up with texture packs. However, the things I miss most from Oldrim are: HDT; the superb skin tones from ENBs; the convenience of the MCM menu system, and a few mods that still wait for the new SKSE in SE.

HDT may never transition to SE - people should be aware of this fact. It is not entirely dependent on SKSE, because it needs a new 64bit DLL from HydrogenSays and he may not bother with one. However, another 'Guru' out there might work up an alternative physics that could be used without SKSE. We'll see.

New mods that work around the lack of SKSE are coming out all the time, and it is great to see some conversions of old classics that have been refreshed. I have converted a few for my own use too: for example Lively Inns and Taverns converts and works very well in SE (in original Skyrim under Win 10 it was rather hit and miss).

TL:DR - play Skyrim SE. At first I wasn't sure but, over time, it's become my preferred version of Skyrim. SKSE will be a very welcome icing on an already great cake, if and when it arrives.

wonder how much we really actelly needed skse

for it looks like mod authors was dependant then se came out without many authors found paths around skse

My strategy is an occasional game exit, have a breather, then restart. That seems to clear the build up of unusual game engine oddities like wonky menus.

wonder how much we really actelly needed skse

for it looks like mod authors was dependant then se came out without many authors found paths around skse

SKSE is pretty mush essential for RaceMenu. Creating characters with the default sliders is extremely limited. I managed to create a character I like, but would still have preferred more options when designing him.

Â

Months later I have a fully modded game (250+ with some merged), use Mod Organizer 2, LOT, Wrye Bash, FNIS, TBBP, an ENB, and generally an FPS of 60. The game rarely crashes. My only bugbear is the dialogue menus corrupt, with options dropping out. I believe that may have been introduced in a Bethesda update.

Â

The game looks gorgeous - because I can load it up with texture packs. However, the things I miss most from Oldrim are:Â HDT; the superb skin tones from ENBs; the convenience of the MCM menu system, and a few mods that still wait for the new SKSE in SE.

Â

Â

New mods that work around the lack of SKSE are coming out all the time, and it is great to see some conversions of old classics that have been refreshed. I have converted a few for my own use too: for example Lively Inns and Taverns converts and works very well in SE (in original Skyrim under Win 10 it was rather hit and miss).

Â

TL:DR - play Skyrim SE. At first I wasn't sure but, over time, it's become my preferred version of Skyrim. SKSE will be a very welcome icing on an already great cake, if and when it arrives.Â

wonder how much we really actelly needed skseÂ

for  it looks like mod authors was dependant then se came out without many authors found paths around skse

A few common SKSE features can be done without it, just requires messy or convoluted workarounds. In those instances SKSE offers a simple solution.

Most of the features can't though, as they're accessing code that otherwise can't be manipulated.

maybe we grown too dependant on skse

This.

I see two options:

-Someone starts work on a new "SKSE" type of project unrelated to the actual skse that can do the same things.

-Mod authors get creative in ways to work around the lack of the additional functions.

For point 1, I am surprised that ScriptDragon has not taken up the task, or is that not essentially trying to do the same thing?

I'd be surprised if there's not more programmers in the nexus who would be up to the task.

Heck i'd happily throw 50 USD or so each month onto the SKSE team or another team if it meant having this functionality back in Skyrim SE.

I'm waiting for SKSE64 too, because there are two mods I want to use in SE and without them I simply don't want to play. SkyUI and Enhanced Character Edit or Racemenu.

I know there are a Racemenu alternative for SSE, but you cannot make such pretty female character you can make with Racemenu/Enhanced Character Edit for Oldrim.

"You can still play Oldrim" yes, but I have the same OP's problem, with oldrim I have a lot of CTD and I tried plenty of solutions (cleaning, changing load order, etc etc). When SSE was released in Steam I moded it with about 70 mods to try the new version and in 80 hours I only had one CTD, then I missed the mods I have mentioned and stopped playing until the SKSE64 release and still waiting.

PS: Sorry for any lexical or grammatical mistake, english is not my native language.

Edited by Narfiam

Waiting for SKSE to be released is not a good idea, to be honest. We don't really know when it will be released and considering how much real life work commitments the developers have I wouldn't expect it any time soon. I just hope that they won't forget about us and someday we'll see at least the beta version. Sure, it's sometimes hard to play without favorite SKSE plugins and mods. The one I miss the most is "Face to face". I don't even need SkyUI - I mean, sure, it's great but I can live without it. But Face to Face? Damn, I loved that mod and I miss it during every single conversation in Skyrim. I also wish Legacy of the Dragonborn was released for SSE but it apparently requires SKSE. Same for Requiem. Frankly, I don't understand why these mods require SKSE, I think they could be rebuilt without it, but again - modders have their lives too and maintaing two different versions of the mod would be such a pain in the butt.

All in all though SSE is still perfectly playable without these mods. That's the thing with SKSE - it offered mods that introduced convenience but IMO they are not essential to play the game. Ofcourse it depends on what you want from Skyrim - if you turn the game into something else entirely, rebalance the whole economy and turn the combat and level system upside down, then sure, you probably won't get the same effect in SSE without SKSE. But for enhanced vanilla gameplay SSE will do just fine.

To me, however, the biggest problem with SSE is the lack of ENBs. The SSE enb doesn't really allow to make too many changes to the graphics and the difference when compared to Oldrim's ENBs is just way too big. Especially lighting and subsurface scattering made a big difference in Oldrim. Characters looked so much more realistic. Almost like in a game from a different generation. This is the reason why I set my SSE mod setup, create character, reach Riverwood and then I quit, remove the game and start modding Oldrim. Then I realize how bad the performance in Oldrim is with heavy ENB, how much the game stutters and I go back to SSE xD Endless cycle and excuses just to mod more instead of playing the game ;)