Most influential Rock Band of all time.

gandalftw

The Rolling Stones is my pick.

I don't short change The Beatles or their amazing contribution,i love John and George,RIP brothers but The Stones have a longevity that The Beatles just couldn't compete with.My second choice would be Areosmith,sorry Beatles fans...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I remember when rock was young".

Elvis Presley, Chuck Gerry, Little Richard, Fats Domino, Ray Charles, Buddy Holly (The Crickets), The Everly Brothers and Bill Haley (the Comets).

Even Mick admitted that the Stones stood on these peoples shoulders.

Really your talking about a time period and not a band. The period of say around 1963 to 1984 was like a culmination of creativity that was built on those who came before. The OP seems to indicate that longevity signifies some worth , but name any album done by those bands that compares to what was created prior , few stand up to the prior period. Even today the younger generations are going back to that period , they may not like it all but there is so much to choose from. There is a reason for it though , that period was the last period where creativity was at the fore , it was in the mid 80's that Record labels has figured out standardization or format music and that they could create their own musical stars.

So if I was to pick it would be the Beatles , I mean what does it matter if the Rolling Stones have been around forever , they haven't come out with anything in about 30 years that compares to their earlier work.

Music is the one language that transcends all others combined. Looking back, at influential bands. I would say those who were copied and their songs re-sung, where the most influential. I would say Chuck Berry and Buddy Holley were two of the most influential people in rock and roll, since their songs have been covered so many times in so many eras.

Do we mean just 'rock n roll' and is it just from a musicianship, or albums sold perspective? As much as some of those already mentioned there are things like Sex Pistols, The Who, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Genesis, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, Nirvana... or even things like Neil Young, Jimi Hendrix or Paul Simon.

Who are still drawing huge crowds?Who,in their seventies, are still inspiring young people by their in person concerts. Not the Beatles,not Elvis,

Okay how about Bob Dylan or maybe Iron Maiden... and including other fields of influence perhaps Bob Geldof?

The thread does say "of all time"...

Bob Dylan?

I love Dylan but come on he isn't drawing the huge crowds that the Stones do.

Mellow Yellow was Donovan,oops my mistake...

Edited by gandalftw

Bob Dylan?

I love Dylan,i still remember the first time i heard Mellow Yellow in was in a gas station where i was filling up my 57 Nomad, but come on he isn't drawing the huge crowds that the Stones do.

Think I'm beat then as I can't think of anyone else really. I'm sure it is a common consensus and not sure how we will see the likes of that kind of thing again because well.. the times, they are a changing. (see what I did there!)

It is like classical music, there are some really great composers around especially in film and games, but will they ever be able to compete with the likes of Beethoven, Bach or Mozart? I suppose only time will tell, possibly well beyond either of our lifetimes... or at least your time spent here in this age. :D

Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'.Hehehe...