Most influential Rock Band of all time.

gandalftw

For all the those that didn't get it ,my comment," Not the Beatles,not Elvis," meant that they are no longer capable of doing what the Stones are doing.Yes most are dead so organizing concerts for them would be rather difficult.Thus their present day influence is rather null do you hear me now blue skinned buddy? Hehe..

Oh come on now, it wouldn't be THAT difficult to arrange the concerts, now, having them actually show up? That would be the interesting part..... although, you gotta admit, there are STILL folks that swear up and down that Elvis is still alive. :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the those that didn't get it ,my comment," Not the Beatles,not Elvis," meant that they are no longer capable of doing what the Stones are doing.Yes most are dead so organizing concerts for them would be rather difficult.Thus their present day influence is rather null do you hear me now blue skinned buddy? Hehe..

No but what are the Stones playing at these concerts , they are vastly playing the songs they wrote 30 - 40 - 50 years ago.Thats not being influential in the present day as far as music goes , thats just living off past laurels. Heres another criteria we could go by total sales the Beatles are 500 million plus , the Stones are just over 200 million , Rihanna is over 230 million am I to assume Rihanna is more influential than the Stones. I don't think so. Or look at it this way it took the Beatles roughly 10 years of music making to result in 500 million plus in sales as of today , it too the Stones 55 years roughly to result in 200 million plus in sales ,at that rate it will take them another 240+ years to catch up assuming no one buys any Beatles in the interim.

Seriously the truth is the Beatles outclass everyone else and thats not to denigrate those who came before , they just took from here and there and experimented and created something musically that still leads the way. Its quite an accomplishment to be able to say that after a 10 year career you lead all others in the last 60 years. No one else on the planet can say that.

And if your just going to use concert tours as your criteria and drawing of big crowds , Pink floyd is still touring , still drawing big crowds and has outsold the Stones. Nuff said.

Edited by Harbringe

It's all just opinion, and here's mine.

Michael Jackson = 750 million albums sold world wide. I'm not a MJ fan, never cared for his music outside of one or two songs, but if you are equating album sales with greatness and influence, then MJ has to be considered. Of course MJ wasn't rock, but his music is an offshoot of the same source where the Stones took their inspiration.

It's pretty unusual to hear any modern music where you can say you hear a Beatles influence, or a Stones influence for that matter, though there are a few - Black Crowes come to mind. The only Stones album I continue to listen to today is Exile On Main Street, and when I'm listening to the Stones from that era I'm really listening to the influence Mick Taylor had on the band, which was a little closer to the source.

I own just about every Stones album ever pressed, on original vinyl, same with all the Beatles albums. The big difference for me between the Stones and the Beatles is that when a Stones song starts playing on the car radio I don't turn it off, whereas a Beatles song lasts about 5 seconds, not because I don't like them, but because they lack the raw energy I still want to hear in music.

For me, the greatest, the most influential for several decades now, is not a band or an individual. The greatest of all time is the Blues, which is basically the source code for almost all modern music. Without the Blues there is no Stones or Beatles, no MJ no Jimi no Janice. When I think of individuals who have influenced modern music I think of people like Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, Howling Wolf, Big Mama Thornton, and my all time favorite Muddy Waters.

Anyway, that's my opinion and it's worth every penny you paid for it.

Who are still drawing huge crowds?Who,in their seventies, are still inspiring young people by their in person concerts. Not the Beatles,not Elvis,

Of course the Beatles and Elvis are not drawing crowds. THEY'RE DEAD! What an asinine comparison.

Now just for clarity, are you going to tell every responder how wrong they are?

Drawing crowds has very little to do with being alive. look at all the conventions for aname that go on around the world. Star Trek conventions will be around long after the actors that played the rolls are long gone.

Oh come on now, it wouldn't be THAT difficult to arrange the concerts, now, having them actually show up? That would be the interesting part..... although, you gotta admit, there are STILL folks that swear up and down that Elvis is still alive. :smile:

Elvis has been seen in Fallout 4 so yeah he's still alive.

8694-0-1454410402.jpg

Edited by gandalftw

So we know gandalftw likes the stones, and the stones are still together and drawing crowds despite Keith Richards heroin addiction. We know the Beatles broke up and most of the best ones are dead.

To this day I still hear more Beatles than the Stones on the Radio. I don't play much of either myself, I'm sick of most of those tunes, but there's still a few that pop up in my play list.

When I think of which band had the most drastic affect on my attitude, I would choice either; I would agree with the previous poster that pointed to Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. To this day that music surprises and astounds me.

But really, to ask which band is the most influential in rock and roll is like asking which twig on a shrub is the most influential. Its not the individual twigs, its the shrub as a whole that keeps growing dynamically and getting more interesting. The older branches like the Beatles and Stones are getting very woody, but those are still growing from other branches.

So we know gandalftw likes the stones, and the stones are still together and drawing crowds despite Keith Richards heroin addiction. We know the Beatles broke up and most of the best ones are dead.Kieth has used drugs?Wow i had no idea..Most of the best ones are dead?Hehehe ridiculous statement,i love you guys.

To this day I still hear more Beatles than the Stones on the Radio. I don't play much of either myself, I'm sick of most of those tunes, but there's still a few that pop up in my play list.

RADIO?You listen to the RADIO?Cool man you're like a Neanderthal...

When I think of which band had the most drastic affect on my attitude, I would choice either; I would agree with the previous poster that pointed to Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. To this day that music surprises and astounds me.

But really, to ask which band is the most influential in rock and roll is like asking which twig on a shrub is the most influential. Its not the individual twigs, its the shrub as a whole that keeps growing dynamically and getting more interesting. The older branches like the Beatles and Stones are getting very woody, but those are still growing from other branches.

Aerosmith comes to mind when thinking about influential bands that have kept up with the times by releasing albums with one or two hit singles for over 40 yrs. Still touring and making music! And they still pack stadiums! Pink Floyd -as mentioned- is another that is still out there selling out stadiums all over the world. As far as Rock is concerned, I have heard more bands state either the Rolling Stones or the Beatles as their biggest musical influence. Led Zeppelin runs a close second to those two.

Aerosmith comes to mind when thinking about influential bands that have kept up with the times by releasing albums with one or two hit singles for over 40 yrs. Still touring and making music! And they still pack stadiums! Pink Floyd -as mentioned- is another that is still out there selling out stadiums all over the world. As far as Rock is concerned, I have heard more bands state either the Rolling Stones or the Beatles as their biggest musical influence. Led Zeppelin runs a close second to those two.

Aerosmith is my second choice,as i said,Pink Floyd are one of my best loved bands and Led Zeppelin takes me back to my youth.Black Dog is my favorite.

To those that say The Stones just keep playing their same old music, they do that because that is what the crowds want to hear,when i go to a Stones concert i want to hear the classics,i want to sing along to Sympathy for the Devil....