Question - Skyrim vs Skyrim SE

shamiro1

Hello guys, it was a while since the last time I've used this forum. Actually kinda missed it a bit.
So yeah I've been off for a while from skyrim, and recently I have find out that they've released this "Skyrim Special Edition" game, which is better then nothing, but let's admit we all are waiting for the next Elder Scrolls to come out. Anyway long story short is:

I'm really interested to find out your opinion, on which is a better game to play at the moment? Skyrim or Skyrim SE
Because I've completed skyrim about 4 or 5 times, and now I only play with mods, so which one of them has a better mod support, and just in general is this Skyrim Special Edition is really worth it?
Is it like going to replace original Skyrim, or not really? Thanks for the answers, and hope I don't brake any rules, because I've really tried to search something on it, but could not find anything.

Ive also left Skyrim and are waiting for Elder Scrolls 6

The only difference with Skyrim SE are the Graphic Improvements where Console Owners can now download Mods, i think Pay per Mod is also back after a backlash from Fans where Bethesda tried this sort of thing before.

Oh and heres the real kicker, almost ALL Mods you ever had will not work with Skyrim SE. Plus, most Mods depend on the SKSE Program.

Can you imagine me coming back to Skyrim so the Mod List i have could be Upgraded for Skyrim SE where half the Modders of said Mods are long gone, plus the fact they wont work with SKSE64.

Ofcourse i want to return to Skyrim, but after this im waiting for Elder Scrolls 6

Now if you really want to start playing Skyrim SE as there is no way to stick with Skyrim Legendary, because your Steam Update will Auto Update your Game to the SE Version for Free. Here are the places to go for anything related to Skyrim SE

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition

https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?c=4040,4045

Edited by daventry

Just one small thing, you get a free SE as separate game*, but the old one doesn't upgrade to it.

*If you have the old one registered, otherwise you have to buy it. Also, I've no idea if there was a deadline for the whole thing.

Edit#1: Yeah, I checked, if you had the old one and all DLC you get the SE as a separate game for free. Though that is now over.

I think you should go with SE for three reasons:

1. 64bit means much more stable. I can go for 20+ hours without crashing even with a heavy mod load.

2. While mods that absolutely require SKSE are currently a no-go with SE, many mod authors have already ported their mods using workarounds (like books or spells) to get past the MCM menus they used to use (that required SKSE to function.)

3. The SKSE team just released an Alpha version of SKSE for SE. This is only for modders to work with at the moment, but is an indicator that a user-beta of SKSE will eventually be available for SE. This will (eventually) result in many player's favorite "Oldrim" mods being ported over (SkyUI, for example) to SE and have full MCM menu availability for those mods. Obviously, however, this will take time. Probably quite a long time.

Much as I loved LE (Oldrim plus all DLCs), I just got too sick of the instability. There ARE ways to make LE very stable (the S.T.E.P. guide, for example) but it requires a LOT of work and constant tweaking. If you're willing to put up with that, then maybe LE (if you already have it) is your better bet. At least until SKSE for SE is released and a lot of the most popular mods from LE are ported to take advantage of it. After that, there really is no reason left not to move to SE. (Except, perhaps, compatibility issues with Windows. But these seem to be very rare.)

Edited because even with spell-check I suck...

Edited by LeddBate

I just deleted SSE upon getting confirmation that CC is coming. Downloading Skyrim now before it disappears, not sure it will but just in case. I never had problems with instability in the 700 hrs I had in Skyrim even with more than 100 mods usually. What few problems I did have were mostly mod conflicts. Not trying to play on a turnip helps. A turnip is similar to a potato but leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Not sure where the idea that it auto- updates to SSE comes from.

The only thing that make me change to SSE is about the Beyond Skyrim project..

They said that the full Cyrodiil is gonna to be ported only to SSE due to memory problem.

My Oldrim is stable as SSE just with Safety Load (for the memory).

I have no other things to say about SSE, it's just a lose of time..

Edited by Alerios

I play Skyrim & SE.

My Skyrim game has been maxed out since 2013. It is very stable on powerful hardware.

My SE game is a work in progress. I add one or two mods a week. It will be many months before it will be as fun as the original.

Later

The only difference with Skyrim SE are the Graphic Improvements where Console Owners can now download Mods, i think Pay per Mod is also back after a backlash from Fans where Bethesda tried this sort of thing before.

Oh and heres the real kicker, almost ALL Mods you ever had will not work with Skyrim SE. Plus, most Mods depend on the SKSE Program.

Can you imagine me coming back to Skyrim so the Mod List i have could be Upgraded for Skyrim SE where half the Modders of said Mods are long gone, plus the fact they wont work with SKSE64.

Now if you really want to start playing Skyrim SE as there is no way to stick with Skyrim Legendary, because your Steam Update will Auto Update your Game to the SE Version for Free. Here are the places to go for anything related to Skyrim SE

Almost everything you've written here is incorrect.

• 10 months later...

So I came back to this topic after nearly a year since it was posted for the first time. After all your suggestions and tips I've decided to play skyrim oldrim with all dlc's and after a few months of playing it with arround 150active mods decided to step up the game and put another 150 into my installation, and well after many hours of tweaking and playing around with Load order etc I've brake my game to the point where I just gave up... That time there were still no SKSEx64 support for SE so I've decided to put it aside and wait for more stuff to come up and be compatible with SE.

Today I'm back with SE installation over 200+ active mods +OLDRIM mods as well and guess what, it is freakin stable! I can play for hours without CTD's.
Another thing I've noticed that skyrim oldrim installation have these things called "MOD PACKS" which is essentially hundreds of mods put into one installation "click next>next>finish" sort of thing, but for some reason I feel a bit guilty to install it because it seems dodgy (like stealing mods from other authors)...

So how is the modding on Skyrim Special Edition going? I believe most of the stuff was ported right?