New Nexus Mods design launched

Dark0ne

In response to post #54731743. #54732078, #54732618, #54732748, #54732903, #54732968 are all replies on the same post.

LenKagetsu wrote:

A side note, some people mentioned before that they liked the term Hot Files instead of Trendy and I agree with them on that. Trendy is just an annoying term to me.

It also reeks of "pander to the social media crowd". I'm abandoning ship because every site I've seen do this in the past five years invariably went straight down the tubes afterwards.

I feel the administration is not coming clean as to why this obviously mobile-pandering design is being forced on a demographic entirely of PC users. I'd like an answer to this question; "Are you doing this because sponsors or search engines twisted your arm?"

Ashes2Asherz wrote: maybe because more and more people are looking for mods on other sites other than the nexus and they thought this would win back those users? People just want a download link to the mods and don't care so much how cool the website looks
Dark0ne wrote: 18% of our traffic comes from mobile. That number has grown at an enormous rate over the past few years as people digest their content on more platforms. That's why we've considered mobile as part of our redesign process as well as desktop, as are most other modern sites on the internet. It's not a conspiracy, it's adapting to changing user habits.

Saying "modding is for PC so the websites should only be for PC" would be like saying "console gamers only play on consoles and TVs, so websites for console games should only be for TV". Makes no sense, does it? This site isn't just about downloading mods. It's finding them, viewing screenshots, discussing them with others and partaking in the community.

More and more users are turning to multiple different platforms to browse the internet on. We need to accommodate everyone as much as possible. Just because you might not want to browse the site on your phone or tablet doesn't mean there aren't millions of others out there who do.
Ashes2Asherz wrote: yea mobile traffic is only going to grow and viewing the old site on mobile is frustrating.. So change is needed.. but the old layout is still nicer
pacfish wrote: Why wasn't this information made available in the original statement? Things make a lot more sense now.
Though I rather have a second monitor than browse the internet on my phone.

The site no longer support netscape 4.0

Do you know what that 18% is doing?
Dark0ne wrote:
Why wasn't this information made available in the original statement? Things make a lot more sense now.

The rise of mobile browsing habits is nothing new. You only need to sit on the bus/tube/train or walk the streets of any town or city to see almost all of us are glued to our phones these days!

That number seems ridiculous because of how unfriendly it was to the mobile platform.

What that 18% are doing is important information to have when designing around their impact. Are they viewing photos? Are they posting comments on mods? Are they actually looking at new content that they will try out? Are the users logged in? Do they need to be to figure out who they are (probably with todays software)? What games get the most traffic on mobile, is it proportional to the desktop browsers? Do you have a rough guess as to the number of users who browse the site on mobile while sitting on a tube? Edited by pacfish

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pardon my french but it seems like theres a lot of bitchy people that have came out of the wood works, you guys need to chill out, this isn't even the finished lay out, it's just a test for feed back instead of saying "don't change to the new one", why don't you tell them why you don't like it and what they should fix to make it better.

i'm going to say this i love the new tabs at the top of the page so much more info then before and love the new tracking center much easier to track the mods i fallow but i don't like all this empty space as some people have said it would be cool if you could be able to minimize sections of the page like

More mods

Media

News & Updates

or at-lest be able to hied them

Edited by Rex7Dragon95

In response to post #54731743. #54732078, #54732618, #54732748, #54732903, #54732968, #54733228 are all replies on the same post.

LenKagetsu wrote:

A side note, some people mentioned before that they liked the term Hot Files instead of Trendy and I agree with them on that. Trendy is just an annoying term to me.

It also reeks of "pander to the social media crowd". I'm abandoning ship because every site I've seen do this in the past five years invariably went straight down the tubes afterwards.

I feel the administration is not coming clean as to why this obviously mobile-pandering design is being forced on a demographic entirely of PC users. I'd like an answer to this question; "Are you doing this because sponsors or search engines twisted your arm?"

Ashes2Asherz wrote: maybe because more and more people are looking for mods on other sites other than the nexus and they thought this would win back those users? People just want a download link to the mods and don't care so much how cool the website looks
Dark0ne wrote: 18% of our traffic comes from mobile. That number has grown at an enormous rate over the past few years as people digest their content on more platforms. That's why we've considered mobile as part of our redesign process as well as desktop, as are most other modern sites on the internet. It's not a conspiracy, it's adapting to changing user habits.

Saying "modding is for PC so the websites should only be for PC" would be like saying "console gamers only play on consoles and TVs, so websites for console games should only be for TV". Makes no sense, does it? This site isn't just about downloading mods. It's finding them, viewing screenshots, discussing them with others and partaking in the community.

More and more users are turning to multiple different platforms to browse the internet on. We need to accommodate everyone as much as possible. Just because you might not want to browse the site on your phone or tablet doesn't mean there aren't millions of others out there who do.
Ashes2Asherz wrote: yea mobile traffic is only going to grow and viewing the old site on mobile is frustrating.. So change is needed.. but the old layout is still nicer
pacfish wrote: Why wasn't this information made available in the original statement? Things make a lot more sense now.

Dark0ne wrote:
Why wasn't this information made available in the original statement? Things make a lot more sense now.

The rise of mobile browsing habits is nothing new. You only need to sit on the bus/tube/train or walk the streets of any town or city to see almost all of us are glued to our phones these days!
pacfish wrote: That number seems ridiculous because of how unfriendly it was to the mobile platform.

What that 18% are doing is important information to have when designing around their impact. Are they viewing photos? Are they posting comments on mods? Are they actually looking at new content that they will try out? Are the users logged in? Do they need to be to figure out who they are (probably with todays software)? What games get the most traffic on mobile, is it proportional to the desktop browsers? Do you have a rough guess as to the number of users who browse the site on mobile while sitting on a tube?

Yes to most of those, and the data went into helping us make decisions on the design especially in regards to its responsiveness.

The number of uniques on mobile is even higher, above 25% of all unique traffic to Nexus Mods is mobile, but it drops off steeply on pageviews to just 6%. Obviously because the current (legacy) site is so awful to browse on mobile and mobile browsing habits tend to be shorter than desktop browsing habits.

Honestly, I prefer the old design myself, and probably wouldnt want a new design at all. However, not hating on the new design, i just really prefer the old design. if it would be possible to change between the two in the preferences in the future, that would be best. :) Edited by TweakerTeeth

In response to post #54732143. #54732223, #54732768, #54732823, #54732938 are all replies on the same post.

AliasNick wrote: People don't like change. And it shows right here. (And are simply mean too, I can't believe what I just read in the comments. It's not even constructive.)

Keep up the good work. This newest design/UI *is* the way to go. It's refreshing, easier to navigate and feels like a modern platform.

Love the news for Vortex. I can't wait to see how it'll be like! (:
Ashes2Asherz wrote: if people on this site weren't open to change then they would be playing the vanilla games rather than modded games.. just saying..
Rex7Dragon95 wrote: @Ashes2Asherz
but you also need to remember that those same people keep calling the creation club content paid mods when its really just official mini DLC's even though there crap mini DLC's,
so there's your problem. :/
Ashes2Asherz wrote: lol they are paid mods
AliasNick wrote: Fair point (actually made me laugh). The fact they want to mod their game their own way is fine and pretty much shows they wanted things to change in the first place I admit. But the Nexus website is the central point that everyone uses, not just them. The website was outdated, thus, a new experience was needed. The new design is the way forward. We may not like 100% of what it is (including myself). Compromises must be made and constructive conversations are essential for the benefit of all users. Throwing demotivational bullshit at the devs is anti-productive imo.

@Ashes2Asherz
then all games have paid mods then, oh wait... there not.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downloadable_content

"
Downloadable content (DLC) is additional content created for a released video game. It is distributed through the Internet by the game's official publisher.

enabling a publisher to gain additional revenue from a title after it has been purchased by offering DLC at low costs, frequently using a type of microtransaction system for payment.

Downloadable content can be of several types, ranging from aesthetic outfit changes to a new, extensive storyline, similar to an expansion pack." Edited by Rex7Dragon95

In response to post #54731743. #54732078, #54732618, #54732748, #54732903, #54732968, #54733228, #54733393 are all replies on the same post.

LenKagetsu wrote:

Dark0ne wrote:

pacfish wrote: That number seems ridiculous because of how unfriendly it was to the mobile platform.

What that 18% are doing is important information to have when designing around their impact. Are they viewing photos? Are they posting comments on mods? Are they actually looking at new content that they will try out? Are the users logged in? Do they need to be to figure out who they are (probably with todays software)? What games get the most traffic on mobile, is it proportional to the desktop browsers? Do you have a rough guess as to the number of users who browse the site on mobile while sitting on a tube?
Dark0ne wrote: Yes to most of those, and the data went into helping us make decisions on the design especially in regards to its responsiveness.

The number of uniques on mobile is even higher, above 25% of all unique traffic to Nexus Mods is mobile, but it drops off steeply on pageviews to just 6%. Obviously because the current (legacy) site is so awful to browse on mobile and mobile browsing habits tend to be shorter than desktop browsing habits.

I here by confess I sometimes use my phone, for well over year now. It just a new medium when I am out & about, so unable to access my PC. & Bored. & need to > Kill Some Time.

In response to post #54733298.

Rex7Dragon95 wrote:

pardon my french but it seems like a lot of bitchy people have came out of the wood works, you guys need to chill out, this isn't even the finished lay out, it's just a test for feed back instead of saying don't change to the new one, why don't you tell them why you don't like it and what they should fix to make it good.
i'm going to say this i love the new tabs at the top of the page so much more info then before and love the new tracking center much easier to track the mods i fallow but i don't like all this empty space as some people have said it would be cool if you could be able to minimize sections of the page like
More mods
Media
News & Updates
or at-lest be able to hied them

Hay Dark0ne, maby you should put READ ME in big colorful letters at the top so people will actually read for once.

READ ME! >_>

I don't see anyone insulting you so why do you feel the need to insult other people just because they may have a different opinion than yours?
Contrary to what you seem to think your opinion is just that, no more or less important than anyone else's.

You like the new design then good for you, i like parts of it too but contrary to you i don't feel that i my opinion is all that matters or that i should calling names to anyone who dares not share it.

Here's a word for you "Egotism", look it up.

Once again, the mobile minority ruin an entire website for everyone else just by existing. I'm not even going to keep trying to make my point, it'll just fall on deaf ears anyway.

They aren't a minority, not at this stage of the internet.

forum.nexusmods.com still works like it used to.

Though there is a valid point here... m.facebook.com vs facebook.com <- huge amounts of data, free hosting, no limits on viewing content, completely different sites and designs, able to download massive files (yes you can download your profile, all of it multiple times for no reason). unlimited 'private' messaging, voice chat, group chat, bunch of features, news feeds, following, friends, forums (in the form of a wall) and theyve been around for a similar length of time (they might be 5 years older, but this is a community of resource hackers, texture creators, configuration tweakers, ui developers, and coders - someone out there has to have a real solution.

This update is free mandatory dlc by the looks of it.

Im liking the new look. One thing i would add is instead of having to click to view all 400+ games then use the search bar, why don't you just put the most active games there and the search bar there beforehand at the front page so that it makes it that much simpler. You don't have to its just a minor gripe but would be easier because i like the new search bar game icons that show up automatically its just a tad annoying having to click for that search bar. Thanks for this sample upgrade hopefully the final product will be even better.

I like the new design in general. It will take some getting used to but it does look more modern, and search has been streamlined, which is good. I particularly like how images are handled on the new site.

That said I do have a problem with searches on the redesigned site. When I type a mod author's name into the search bar it doesn't always list every mod created by that person. When I type the same author into the old site's search I get extra entries. I use exactly the same filters on both sites so that shouldn't be an issue, and I copy/paste the name from one to the other to make sure I'm not spelling it differently. Still some mods don't show up on this site.

As an example, I typed in 'icecreamassassin' and got pretty much every mod associated with him except his main overhaul, Legacy of the Dragonborn. I can still find the LotD page on the old site, but not here. Similarly, when I type in Hein84 I get most of his Vivid Landscapes series of mods, but not the All-in-One mod (which again is still available on the old site).