New Nexus Mods design launched

Dark0ne

In response to post #54687313. #54687368, #54688448, #54689503 are all replies on the same post.

Mr. Dave wrote: What the bloody hell is with the relentless spam pop up ad on the new layout? I cannot even log into the new layout due to it having one single overlay covering the entire page that is a link to spam ads.
Does this need to be reported as a bug too? Or should I just add y'all to ABP's list?

EDIT: RE: the new layout. I know Win10 is nothing more than a huge phone app commercial, but did you guys really have to make the new layout look just like every other lame, shitty phone app out there? Seriously. Have some innovative thought.
Dark0ne wrote: Can you provide a screenshot? We don't use pop-up ads at all.
Mr. Dave wrote: It isn't working as a visible thing to print screen of I'm afraid. The mouse pointer is a hand icon, meaning it is hovering over a selectable object no matter where it is on the page, meaning an invisible PNG is being used as a button.
This is the link it takes me to.
http://www.cokeworlds2017.com/?campaign=Curse
I'm gonna pop open a new window and take a shot of it though in case it shows something you know shouldn't be there. :D One sec...
HERE is a screenshot, but it doesn't show the pointer as a hand when in a non button location. When I try to click Log In, or anywhere for that matter, that Coke gaming convention page pops up.
uninventive wrote: This is happening to me as well. The entire site is a link to an ad. I couldn't even click on the banner element that provides a link to the old design.

Completely unusable.

Using Google Chrome v61

And this is the link I get when I try to click on the VIEW NEW LAYOUT button above this page.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #54687313. #54687368, #54688448, #54689503, #54689623 are all replies on the same post.

Mr. Dave wrote: What the bloody hell is with the relentless spam pop up ad on the new layout? I cannot even log into the new layout due to it having one single overlay covering the entire page that is a link to spam ads.
Does this need to be reported as a bug too? Or should I just add y'all to ABP's list?

EDIT: RE: the new layout. I know Win10 is nothing more than a huge phone app commercial, but did you guys really have to make the new layout look just like every other lame, shitty phone app out there? Seriously. Have some innovative thought.
Mr. Dave wrote: It isn't working as a visible thing to print screen of I'm afraid. The mouse pointer is a hand icon, meaning it is hovering over a selectable object no matter where it is on the page, meaning an invisible PNG is being used as a button.
I'm gonna pop open a new window and take a shot of it though in case it shows something you know shouldn't be there. :D One sec...
HERE is a screenshot, but it doesn't show the pointer as a hand when in a non button location. When I try to click Log In, or anywhere for that matter, that Coke gaming convention page pops up.
uninventive wrote: This is happening to me as well. The entire site is a link to an ad. I couldn't even click on the banner element that provides a link to the old design.

Completely unusable.

Using Google Chrome v61
uninventive wrote: And this is the link I get when I try to click on the VIEW NEW LAYOUT button above this page.

It's an issue with an ad provider we thought we had sorted. They'll need to be the ones to fix it, but they're West Coast US so probably not even awake yet.

Yes, this really pisses me off too considering the commission they take for their services.

Sorry about that. Hopefully it'll be resolved soon.

In response to post #54677498. #54680143, #54686903, #54687293, #54688648, #54688928, #54689253, #54689373, #54689458 are all replies on the same post.

menathradiel wrote: Have had a look at the new design and have to say: Why did you bork my description page? Why are you forcing every image to display on a new line even when in bbcode and wysiwyg editors they are not? It looks absolutely horrible, and makes me look like I put no thought or effort into my mod page. If I put two images on the same line, I do that for a reason. Yes, it's nice that the video is bigger, but you have every single one of my NPC pictures on a separate line, and they do not need it - this would be why I didn't do what you've essentially forced me to do.

Take a look at my nexus page for my mod on the old layout, and then the new layout, and then explain to me why you've made it look so excruciatingly bad on the new one, and why I can't fix it?
Battlestar1965 wrote: I did look at the two versions of your mod page. And i have to agree with you. It looks horrible now.Clearly, the designers had only mobile phone users in mind when doing this pointless redesign.
menathradiel wrote: ikr. Ugh. I'm probably going to have to spend time redoing the images to get it to display properly again.
fredlaus wrote: mena, I feel sorry for you and all others experiencing this travesty.
It is not only the images but the layout that is totally wrong - seems to have been made for the wrong site.
Decisions need to be taken I guess - it is extremely difficult to run two wagons at the same time - especially if you like to win the race.
Elianora wrote: Stop using images as text and write a text description. Image text description won't show up in Google searches so it impairs the way users may find your mod while searching the net, and people won't be able to Ctrl + F search through your description to find the information they need. People with reading and vision disabilities will have difficulty scaling or altering your description to their needs (colour / text size / etc.) because images don't scale or clear well.

Image descriptions are awful. Sure they may "look pretty" in some way, but they make it extremely hard to understand your mod's documentation.
menathradiel wrote: @Elianora: I have a text description. If you had bothered to even look at my mod page you would know this. I use images to supplement it - and btw, I do it for people like me, people on the autistic spectrum who need visual images because text is not enough. So I would kindly ask that you stop assuming things about me when you know absolutely nothing.
Dark0ne wrote: There are serious issues with image descriptions that Elianora has already brought up.

On top of that, if you refuse for whatever reason to do away with the image descriptions, it would be a lot better (for both you, and user experience in terms of loading times) to have it as one big image (or a few big images) organised however you like within the image itself, rather than a spliced up assortment of many, many smaller images that you then have to rely on the page formatting to organise.
Elianora wrote: I didn't say or assume ANYTHING about you. I said a thing about description images and mod pages and explained why they're terrible in the grand scheme of things. Stop overreacting and treating everything said as a personal insult and making this about you. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
pacfish wrote: To add to reasons: Google Translate doesn't work with images.

Menathradiel. I understand the need for more visual descriptions. I see that you included images of various locations including their names written on it. Couldn't you achieve the same by creating a largely text based description with much less images, and then just upload all these additional images to the image section, especially since you already have the images labelled with text overlays (so it is clear what they are)?

You can always refer to the image section in your description so the reader knows where to find more information.

In response to post #54687313. #54687368, #54688448, #54689503, #54689623, #54689648 are all replies on the same post.

Completely unusable.

Using Google Chrome v61
uninventive wrote: And this is the link I get when I try to click on the VIEW NEW LAYOUT button above this page.

Dark0ne wrote: It's an issue with an ad provider we thought we had sorted. They'll need to be the ones to fix it, but they're West Coast US so probably not even awake yet.

Yes, this really pisses me off too considering the commission they take for their services.

Sorry about that. Hopefully it'll be resolved soon.

Doesn't supporter status remove ads anyway?

I'm sure I'll be forgiven for using adblock regardless, but given my assumption that being a supporter means that you no longer see ads, I find it surprising you would be encountering this issue at all, considering you are quite clearly a supporter...

In response to post #54677498. #54680143, #54686903, #54687293, #54688648, #54688928, #54689253, #54689373, #54689458, #54689713, #54689943 are all replies on the same post.

menathradiel wrote: Have had a look at the new design and have to say: Why did you bork my description page? Why are you forcing every image to display on a new line even when in bbcode and wysiwyg editors they are not? It looks absolutely horrible, and makes me look like I put no thought or effort into my mod page. If I put two images on the same line, I do that for a reason. Yes, it's nice that the video is bigger, but you have every single one of my NPC pictures on a separate line, and they do not need it - this would be why I didn't do what you've essentially forced me to do.

Take a look at my nexus page for my mod on the old layout, and then the new layout, and then explain to me why you've made it look so excruciatingly bad on the new one, and why I can't fix it?
Battlestar1965 wrote: I did look at the two versions of your mod page. And i have to agree with you. It looks horrible now.Clearly, the designers had only mobile phone users in mind when doing this pointless redesign.
menathradiel wrote: ikr. Ugh. I'm probably going to have to spend time redoing the images to get it to display properly again.
fredlaus wrote: mena, I feel sorry for you and all others experiencing this travesty.
It is not only the images but the layout that is totally wrong - seems to have been made for the wrong site.
Decisions need to be taken I guess - it is extremely difficult to run two wagons at the same time - especially if you like to win the race.
Elianora wrote: Stop using images as text and write a text description. Image text description won't show up in Google searches so it impairs the way users may find your mod while searching the net, and people won't be able to Ctrl + F search through your description to find the information they need. People with reading and vision disabilities will have difficulty scaling or altering your description to their needs (colour / text size / etc.) because images don't scale or clear well.

Image descriptions are awful. Sure they may "look pretty" in some way, but they make it extremely hard to understand your mod's documentation.
menathradiel wrote: @Elianora: I have a text description. If you had bothered to even look at my mod page you would know this. I use images to supplement it - and btw, I do it for people like me, people on the autistic spectrum who need visual images because text is not enough. So I would kindly ask that you stop assuming things about me when you know absolutely nothing.
Dark0ne wrote: There are serious issues with image descriptions that Elianora has already brought up.

On top of that, if you refuse for whatever reason to do away with the image descriptions, it would be a lot better (for both you, and user experience in terms of loading times) to have it as one big image (or a few big images) organised however you like within the image itself, rather than a spliced up assortment of many, many smaller images that you then have to rely on the page formatting to organise.
Elianora wrote: I didn't say or assume ANYTHING about you. I said a thing about description images and mod pages and explained why they're terrible in the grand scheme of things. Stop overreacting and treating everything said as a personal insult and making this about you. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
aufisch wrote: Menathradiel. I understand the need for more visual descriptions. I see that you included images of various locations including their names written on it. Couldn't you achieve the same by creating a largely text based description with much less images, and then just upload all these additional images to the image section, especially since you already have the images labelled with text overlays (so it is clear what they are)?

You can always refer to the image section in your description so the reader knows where to find more information.
menathradiel wrote: @Elianora You are hilarious. When complaining about images you cite those with sight problems, but when it comes to people who need visuals... You might as well have said to shut up and stop complaining because this disability doesn't factor in your world view.

You are a hypocrite.

Just a suggestion, merge your images exactly like you want them displayed - example

qJi3cJOb_o.png

This only won't work if you additionally wanted each image linked to larger original images.

Edited by ScrollTron1c

I dig the new site layout well enough, but I have one major beef.

The old site used a good dark grey background/white default text combo for mod descriptions. Contrast was high, readability was good.

Now, for some reason the grey has been made lighter, and the default text color has been made darker, leading to a big reduction in contrast and worse readability.

https://i.imgur.com/ur0zyUH.png

Hope this picture helps, and I hope you'll consider changing it. Congrats on finally nearing the final release, exciting stuff. :)

In response to post #54677498. #54680143, #54686903, #54687293, #54688648, #54688928, #54689253, #54689373, #54689458, #54689713, #54689868 are all replies on the same post.

aufisch wrote: Menathradiel. I understand the need for more visual descriptions. I see that you included images of various locations including their names written on it. Couldn't you achieve the same by creating a largely text based description with much less images, and then just upload all these additional images to the image section, especially since you already have the images labelled with text overlays (so it is clear what they are)?

ScrollTron1c wrote: Just a suggestion, merge your images exactly like you want them displayed - example

qJi3cJOb_o.png

This only won't work if you wanted each image to additionally be linked to larger original images.

@Elianora You are hilarious. When complaining about images you cite those with sight problems, but when it comes to people who need visuals... You might as well have said to shut up and stop complaining because this disability doesn't factor in your world view.

You are a hypocrite.

In response to post #54677498. #54680143, #54686903, #54687293, #54688648, #54688928, #54689253, #54689373, #54689458, #54689713, #54689868, #54689943 are all replies on the same post.

ScrollTron1c wrote: Just a suggestion, merge your images exactly like you want them displayed - example

qJi3cJOb_o.png

This only won't work if you additionally wanted each image linked to larger original images.

menathradiel wrote: @Elianora You are hilarious. When complaining about images you cite those with sight problems, but when it comes to people who need visuals... You might as well have said to shut up and stop complaining because this disability doesn't factor in your world view.

You are a hypocrite.

Oh so now it's about me, not about a mod description being accessible to as many users as possible. Alright. I see you're just looking for reasons to pick fights and be angry, so I'm walking away, I have mods to make, and stuff.

In response to post #54677498. #54680143, #54686903, #54687293, #54688648, #54688928, #54689253, #54689373, #54689458, #54689713, #54689868, #54689943, #54690023 are all replies on the same post.

qJi3cJOb_o.png

You are a hypocrite.
Elianora wrote: Oh so now it's about me, not about a mod description being accessible to as many users as possible. Alright. I see you're just looking for reasons to pick fights and be angry, so I'm walking away, I have mods to make, and stuff.

Alright, I'm going to reiterate Eli's point using different words, because I don't think you understood it.

She wasn't telling you not to use images in your description. She was telling you that you shouldn't use text that is in the form of images in your description.

There's a huge difference, and the reasons for this difference are important. The first being the inability for search engines to parse text that is in the form of images. Another being the inability of translators to translate text in the form of images. Another is the inability of screen-readers to be able to read text that is in the form of images.

I'm having a really hard time understanding why text in the form of text and text in the form of images are somehow more or less readable for someone who has autism, as you claimed. The issue is not the layout or the use of actual images. The issue is the use of images as a way of displaying text.

Believe it or not, everyone here is actually trying to help you. Edited by HomicidalGrouse

In response to post #54678018. #54684298 is also a reply to the same post.

lordinquisitor wrote: New version is more than twice the lenght of the old 7487 pixles vs 2942 and thats with the tabs on top trimmed off. https://i.imgur.com/WapLPhh.jpg for comparison

Images I can not sort by last comment, this is majorly annoying as I would actually like to see what people say about my images.

and manage files Show more the 20 files is a "Premium Feature only" Really now come on.

Its bad enough that this site has gone down the redesign for mobiles when its a PC based Game modding site, without the above.
Dark0ne wrote:
and manage files Show more the 20 files is a "Premium Feature only" Really now come on.

I've seen a few people mention this now.

Being able to change your results per page has always been a Premium feature (seriously, try and change your results per page on the current site in your preferences). Just the new site makes it more obvious it's a Premium feature.

Going down the rabbit hole, why not make it 1 mod per page on a search result to entice people to pay for all the extra bandwidth and horse power the server will need for all the requests?

20 isn't a lot, not for your most popular audience. 20 is too many for something like XCom. For Skyrim, most users run above 30.
Unofficial patches, skyui, smim... already a tenth of the way there and we haven't even left the Steam workshop, which shows 30, can be changed and can be queried to show more through some basic level hacking (change the cookie)... Which I think all of are at some level since we are finding a solution to a problem and fixing it, even if that is we want to sleep with our spouse in our "mature, sexual content" with beds that can only have a single person in them.