New Nexus Mods design launched

Dark0ne

In response to post #54659878. #54659948, #54660108, #54660288, #54660308, #54660578, #54660638, #54661128, #54661208, #54661358, #54661548, #54661628 are all replies on the same post.

pra wrote: It's ok, I guess. What annoys me is this dark overlay with the "view mod" button appearing when I mouseover a mod.

Also, please remove the search bar. It doesn't work anyway. Maybe use some google custom search instead.
PukinDumpling wrote: What do you mean, the search doesn't work? Because it sure as hell does...
BlindJudge wrote: The search should be working? Please, can you give some examples as to how it isn't and we'll look into it. Thank you for the feedback.
TheMagician16 wrote: It doesn't work reliably for me. When I search for mods, it doesn't always show the mod I was looking for. I think it is tag related as the same happens when I try to browse mods. As an example, sometimes I cannot search and find the unofficial patch mod on SSE site. So I have to switch to old design or use google. That isn't the only example, i search for a lot of mods and almost 50% of the time they do not show up unless I use Google/old site. I have tried removing all tags and filters and still no luck.
pra wrote: Well, I can't remember the last time I actually found anything using the nexus search function.

After testing it again it seems to work, at least if you remember exactly how the mod was called, since only the title is being searched by default.
I have no idea on which logic search by description works, but "settler rename" brings up exactly one result, despite there being several mods which do that, one of which I uploaded myself. It seems like the order of words is actually important, since "rename settler" brings up 8 results.
MrMason wrote: If you're seeing incorrect search results then please post the specifics in the bug tracker and we will investigate: https://github.com/Nexus-Mods/web-issues/issues
ScrollTron1c wrote: I'm pretty sure that you have certain tags blocked.

IIRC when the "XBone Version available" tag was added, this was not enabled by default and thus every mod with the tag was filtered out from searches.
Jeir wrote: I've never had an issue with the Nexus search, and every time someone's said they couldn't find something in particular, it's always been because they're blocking tags.
The tag system is very flawed. It's best not to block anything to make sure you actually get accurate results. See something you don't like that used to be blocked? Just don't click on it and move on. =)
pra wrote: Hm, I indeed had the tags "xbone available" and "ps4 available" blocked. Okay, we'll see if that improved anything.
TheMagician16 wrote: Well many of the mods I was searching for already is avaliable for X1, so that's not the issue, and I did remove the tags. MrMason, I will take a look and sumbit something if I manage to figure out how that website works.

Edit: i will double check to make sure
ScrollTron1c wrote: The two console version tags need to be enabled though. Otherwise all mods with the tags are filtered out from your search results (old and new version confirmed).
TheMagician16 wrote: I could not find those tags and when I went to "Browse all mods" to look at the top list of mods, some of them were missing, such as the unofficial patch.

I even used clear filters, disabled some tags, re-enabled and in the end just went back to my content blocking setup. Even the "refine search" function didn't mention anything about mods not being found because I had used the "clear filters", only thing it possibly could hide is mods from blocked authors, but none of the mods I am looking for has authors I have blocked.

https://imgur.com/a/WhZ89

In that picture the Unofficial Patch is missing for some reason.

Edit: Ok, so to actually see some of the mods that I could not find I had to separately disable them from the profile settings and not just from the "Refine Results". And for some reason the Unofficial Patch counts as either; Save games, translation, Anime, Skimpy content because when I unlocked those tags it showed up suddenly. So I guess the problem is with the tags?

I'll have to second that. I use google to search the nexus, because I regularly cannot get the search function to bring up the mod I'm looking for, even if I'm completely certain I'm using words that are in the title. Even if you search for a single word that you know is in the mod name, it regularly doesn't bring up what you're looking for anywhere in the search results. The only specific time I can recollect however is also with the unofficial patch someone else was also having problems with.

I should mention that the unreliability has prompted me to switch to using google to search the nexus.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #54662048. #54662188, #54662238, #54662373 are all replies on the same post.

RoyBatterian wrote: I'm not really liking it. It's hard to read with the strange contrast choices and small fonts in some areas. It's seems aimed at mobile when the site is dedicated to modding PC games which doesn't make much sense to me. Things are too big image wise. Basic features for authors don't work. All old mod pages banners are broken and you still can't fix them with already uploaded images, and I had reported this almost 3 months ago and it was closed as can't reproduce.

I'm not bitching here, but I really would like to be able to use the old site for the foreseeable future until some things are reconsidered and fixed/altered. Most larger sites have different setups for different devices, maybe that should be looked into.

Also on such a high profile and large site, perhaps some professional designers/web developers should be hired instead of community people. I know this comment will probably ruffle some feathers, but I've always been blunt.
Dark0ne wrote:
Also on such a high profile and large site, perhaps some professional designers/web developers should be hired instead of community people. I know this comment will probably ruffle some feathers, but I've always been blunt.

Read the entire news post, Roy.
RoyBatterian wrote: I already did Dark. You have a site going live, that should probably be the priority not Vortex.
RoyBatterian wrote: Last I recalled you had hired community people to do the actual work on the site.

I don't want to start an argument with you, forget I said anything.

You said we should hire professional designers/web developers rather than "community people". We have done that and that was specifically stated in the news article.

Now you're changing your point and saying that we should be focusing this new person on the site design, not Vortex. Which, as I said, is a different point entirely to the one you originally meant.

Perhaps your "bluntness" omitted the important second point! Edited by Dark0ne

In response to post #54662048. #54662188, #54662238, #54662303 are all replies on the same post.

RoyBatterian wrote: I'm not really liking it. It's hard to read with the strange contrast choices and small fonts in some areas. It's seems aimed at mobile when the site is dedicated to modding PC games which doesn't make much sense to me. Things are too big image wise. Basic features for authors don't work. All old mod pages banners are broken and you still can't fix them with already uploaded images, and I had reported this almost 3 months ago and it was closed as can't reproduce.

I'm not bitching here, but I really would like to be able to use the old site for the foreseeable future until some things are reconsidered and fixed/altered. Most larger sites have different setups for different devices, maybe that should be looked into.

Dark0ne wrote:

RoyBatterian wrote: I already did Dark. You have a site going live, that should probably be the priority not Vortex.
Dark0ne wrote: You said we should hire professional designers/web developers rather than "community people". We have done that and that was specifically stated in the news article.

Now you're changing your point and saying that she should be focusing on the site design, not Vortex. Which, as I said, is a different point entirely.

Last I recalled you had hired community people to do the actual work on the site.

In response to post #54662048. #54662188, #54662238, #54662303, #54662373 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote:

Dark0ne wrote: You said we should hire professional designers/web developers rather than "community people". We have done that and that was specifically stated in the news article.

Now you're changing your point and saying that we should be focusing this new person on the site design, not Vortex. Which, as I said, is a different point entirely to the one you originally meant.

Perhaps your "bluntness" omitted the important second point!
RoyBatterian wrote: Last I recalled you had hired community people to do the actual work on the site.

I agree with having the old site available until the UI is fixed, even if the old site is not the default anymore. The new one is like it was made for mobile with PC as an afterthought despite it being for PC games.

If you want to roll it out where the new one is up and replacing the old one before you get the design fixed, then leave the old one up with a different address to still be usable.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/8007xxci5ksj149/dumbredesign.jpg

This new design is is a prime example of wasted space. With the previous one, I had most of what I need right there, right on the top of the page - a nice and tight hot files slideshow, a latest files sidebar, well put together news/latest/tracked tabs.

Now we'll have static hot files section which takes noticeably more space, no sidebars at all, latest mods/media/news tabs separated so you have to scroll scroll scroll to find what you actually need. "Tracked content updates" looks especially horrible compared to the previous "tracked files" tab - that pretty much all text now, stretched over more width die to the lack of sidebars, with less pronounced separators between shown events and no avatars next to the person's name.

Now I understand that this cancerous modern flat-rectangular tablet-oriented "design" is all the rage nowadays, but what you bunch of wooden sticks don't realize is that game mods are predominately a PC thing and that you need to design your website accordingly.

At least have a common decency to maintain a legacy version of the site design. Or even better, fire whoever designed this... thing and leave the site as it is.

Edited by Reizeron

In response to post #54662273.

Knightmedic wrote:

Nice design, very pretty. However, I miss being able to pull up categories and look through them Found a lot of great mods that way, that I never would have thought to search for. Now I have to slog my way through all the mods which is ridiculous. I also miss being able to get a description just by mousing over the mod. Such a time saver. Now I need to go to the mod in order to get a description. Seems like a couple of steps backward to me. I'll just keep using the old design as it is much more user friendly.

https://rd.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/categories/ Categories groupings are still available, their location in the menu changed Mods > Mod Categores is now right at the bottom above the divider for the My Activity section. I don't see any mod list option that doesn't show the short description along with it. List view and Big Tiles shows the most.