New Nexus Mods design launched

Dark0ne

In response to post #54660513. #54660598, #54660603, #54660633 are all replies on the same post.

ScrollTron1c wrote: Hi, some quick feedback on the image sections of mod pages:

image viewer looks and works better
allowing mod users to delete their own uploaded images will save a lot of trouble
larger total area and larger thumbnails in better quality
more precise info on which image size and dimensions are recommended for banners etc

- the three buttons "edit title", "crop thumbnail" and "make banner" are visible for mod users (but luckily don't work)
- after opening an image, then clicking on the square button to hide the gallery panel, the button seems to be no longer be accessible
- the black gradient (vignette?) with the thumbnail image description covers too much of the thumbnail -> perhaps use a smaller outlined font and no gradient instead?
- the drop-down menu to switch between author- and user images seems impractical, the user images are less obvious to spot and require an unnecessary click to access

Will add more general feedback later on
ScrollTron1c wrote: Seems like adding a "+" to the beginning of a line is not being displayed in the comments - the first paragraph above is supposed to show as "pro" with pluses in front.
PukinDumpling wrote: I also think that showing the image name, upload date and the uploader name should only happen on a mouse-over. Without the black gradient and the [VIEW IMAGE] thing.
PukinDumpling wrote: About the "+" issue: Odd, I thought the first time I read your comment there actually were "+" signs.
Am I imagining things? Is my brain filling in the gaps on its own?

Yes after using the "Edit post" button, the pluses were no longer displaying.

Also agree on the idea that image descriptions should only show on mouse-over, all Nexus mods are made and used on PCs so there should be no clutter just to cater to smartphone / tablet and console users. Or perhaps there could be an alternate "mobile version" with features added that work without a mouse pointer, if that is not too much trouble. Edited by ScrollTron1c

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #54660448. #54660493 is also a reply to the same post.

Crimsomrider wrote: I personally will be clutching onto the old design until the moment it dies because I really am not a fan of this new one. And it's not about me clinging on to the old one because I hate changes or something, I welcome changes when I think they're an improvement, but this is honestly not an improvement in my eyes. It's simply the fact that the compact look of the old design was traded for this plain ugly "modern" design which involves big images and fonts, too much scrolling down, too much eye-movement along with information being scattered all over the place. What's up with all the depressing colors of dark gray, light gray and occasionally white ? Did someone run out of color when designing this place ? Is the "modern" design too afraid of colors ? Am I in 50 Shades Of Gray ?

And then there's other things, some of which I mentioned in the forum post.

My honest opinion is that this is a downgrade rather than an upgrade, because of reasons I stated in the forum post. Such a shame that this is now turning into Bethesda.net 2.0 design... only more uglier and effort requiring.

If anything should have been changed, then it was the forums section because it felt so disconnected from the main site in terms of designs and bringing it up to the Nexus design would have been amazing.

I will remain on the old design until hopefully some changes are made to the new design that make it at least somewhat visually pleasing and convenient.

I said it once and I'll say it again. Old design was compact, displayed important information when required, was easier to navigate and much more viewable.

The new design is too big, too flashy with images and fonts. Absolutely no colors. Information is scattered all over the place. A lot of scrolling and looking around. The biggest sin of all however is that it forces the user to SEARCH for IMPORTANT information, instead of handing the important information to them. Just look at the mod pages for example and see the first 5 lines when you open a mod page.

This new design would be a great design for a phone, not a PC.

Just my opinion.
Jokerine wrote: It took me a while to figure out how to reply, but I gotta say I agree. Having a lot of trouble with this.

agreed! old is better.

In response to post #54660448. #54660493, #54661078 are all replies on the same post.

Crimsomrider wrote: I personally will be clutching onto the old design until the moment it dies because I really am not a fan of this new one. And it's not about me clinging on to the old one because I hate changes or something, I welcome changes when I think they're an improvement, but this is honestly not an improvement in my eyes. It's simply the fact that the compact look of the old design was traded for this plain ugly "modern" design which involves big images and fonts, too much scrolling down, too much eye-movement along with information being scattered all over the place. What's up with all the depressing colors of dark gray, light gray and occasionally white ? Did someone run out of color when designing this place ? Is the "modern" design too afraid of colors ? Am I in 50 Shades Of Gray ?

And then there's other things, some of which I mentioned in the forum post.

My honest opinion is that this is a downgrade rather than an upgrade, because of reasons I stated in the forum post. Such a shame that this is now turning into Bethesda.net 2.0 design... only more uglier and effort requiring.

If anything should have been changed, then it was the forums section because it felt so disconnected from the main site in terms of designs and bringing it up to the Nexus design would have been amazing.

I will remain on the old design until hopefully some changes are made to the new design that make it at least somewhat visually pleasing and convenient.

I said it once and I'll say it again. Old design was compact, displayed important information when required, was easier to navigate and much more viewable.

The new design is too big, too flashy with images and fonts. Absolutely no colors. Information is scattered all over the place. A lot of scrolling and looking around. The biggest sin of all however is that it forces the user to SEARCH for IMPORTANT information, instead of handing the important information to them. Just look at the mod pages for example and see the first 5 lines when you open a mod page.

This new design would be a great design for a phone, not a PC.

Just my opinion.
Jokerine wrote: It took me a while to figure out how to reply, but I gotta say I agree. Having a lot of trouble with this.
OlivierDoorenbos wrote: agreed! old is better.

Definitely agree. I think the issue is that the new site's design was primarily made for mobiles. On desktop everything is just too big, with huge images, bigger text/text area, and images where they do nothing but take up space. I don't need a banner image that takes up 50% of the page. I don't need images (or game/author/category/log info) in the tracking centre or download history. I'd rather be able to see 15-20 mods without scrolling.

At least they brought back the 'New Recently' section; it was missing the last time I saw the new site, although it's now 'Recent Activity'; and while the text still takes up too much space (current site: 13 links for today and 10 of yesterday's visible without scrolling. New site: only today's visible without scrolling, and it's missing the icons indicating what got updated), hopefully they wont 'improve' it by adding pointless thumbnails to all the links.

I'm going to need a new mouse with all this extra scrolling I'm going to have to do.

Oh, and seems the drop-down link to 'Manage files/Mods I have access to' is missing. I check those a lot more than I do my own mods. Yeah, I know I can just click once more once I select 'Manage My Mods', but my mouse is already going to be worn out without the extra clicking. =P

New layout looks awesome, but It is bulky/too big, on Desktop. If you can reduce the space needed and give them more of a LEFT to RIGHT layout that would be great.

By left>right I mean, it NEEDs to use up the space given and not waste so much by listing everything on the left side. Also the main page has TOO much space on the sides.

Things of note:

• Where once I could see all my mods in about half the screen, now take up a whole screen. The mod controls alone take up double the space.
  • The main Nexus page looks great, but the pictures take about almost 3x more space on the screen making scrolling almost 4x as much.

Images if what I was thinking:

Main Page:

P0acXLid_o.jpg

Mod Page:

BPh9dt1V_o.jpg

In response to post #54659878. #54659948, #54660108, #54660288, #54660308, #54660578, #54660638 are all replies on the same post.

pra wrote: It's ok, I guess. What annoys me is this dark overlay with the "view mod" button appearing when I mouseover a mod.

Also, please remove the search bar. It doesn't work anyway. Maybe use some google custom search instead.
PukinDumpling wrote: What do you mean, the search doesn't work? Because it sure as hell does...
BlindJudge wrote: The search should be working? Please, can you give some examples as to how it isn't and we'll look into it. Thank you for the feedback.
TheMagician16 wrote: It doesn't work reliably for me. When I search for mods, it doesn't always show the mod I was looking for. I think it is tag related as the same happens when I try to browse mods. As an example, sometimes I cannot search and find the unofficial patch mod on SSE site. So I have to switch to old design or use google. That isn't the only example, i search for a lot of mods and almost 50% of the time they do not show up unless I use Google/old site. I have tried removing all tags and filters and still no luck.
pra wrote: Well, I can't remember the last time I actually found anything using the nexus search function.

After testing it again it seems to work, at least if you remember exactly how the mod was called, since only the title is being searched by default.
I have no idea on which logic search by description works, but "settler rename" brings up exactly one result, despite there being several mods which do that, one of which I uploaded myself. It seems like the order of words is actually important, since "rename settler" brings up 8 results.
MrMason wrote: If you're seeing incorrect search results then please post the specifics in the bug tracker and we will investigate: https://github.com/Nexus-Mods/web-issues/issues
ScrollTron1c wrote: I'm pretty sure that you have certain tags blocked.

IIRC when the "XBone Version available" tag was added, this was not enabled by default and thus every mod with the tag was filtered out from searches.

I've never had an issue with the Nexus search, and every time someone's said they couldn't find something in particular, it's always been because they're blocking tags.
The tag system is very flawed. It's best not to block anything to make sure you actually get accurate results. See something you don't like that used to be blocked? Just don't click on it and move on. =)