New Nexus Mods design launched

Dark0ne

In response to post #54662403.

Reizeron wrote: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/8007xxci5ksj149/dumbredesign.jpg

This new design is is a prime example of wasted space. With the previous one, I had most of what I need right there, right on the top of the page - a nice and tight hot files slideshow, a latest files sidebar, well put together news/latest/tracked tabs.

Now we'll have static hot files section which takes noticeably more space, no sidebars at all, latest mods/media/news tabs separated so you have to scroll scroll scroll to find what you actually need. "Tracked content updates" looks especially horrible compared to the previous "tracked files" tab - that pretty much all text now, stretched over more width die to the lack of sidebars, with less pronounced separators between shown events and no avatars next to the person's name.

Now I understand that this cancerous modern flat-rectangular tablet-oriented "design" is all the rage nowadays, but what you bunch of wooden sticks don't realize is that game mods are predominately a PC thing and that you need to design your website accordingly.

At least have a common decency to maintain a legacy version of the site design. Or even better, fire whoever designed this... thing and leave the site as it is.

Game mods might be PC based, but I think Nexus is in the best place to know where their views are coming from. I'm happy with a mobile friendly interface, browse mods while waiting in line at the store, download and play at home.

On the point of wasted space, can't agree more. I pointed out issues with that when they allowed modders to look at it a while back. Was ignored of mostly dismissed on the issues. Nothing I can't fix user side, but annoying that nobody sees issues with wasted vertical space.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More convenient, all news files and popular on one page , easy to show fast.

Easy split times "from to"

New fonts are big, old people love that.

You love old people all ? your futur ! :p

Oh ! One thing is missing !! how to endorse this new design ? ;)

Thanks

Edited by mortis venunum

In response to post #54662273. #54662448 is also a reply to the same post.

Knightmedic wrote:

Nice design, very pretty. However, I miss being able to pull up categories and look through them Found a lot of great mods that way, that I never would have thought to search for. Now I have to slog my way through all the mods which is ridiculous. I also miss being able to get a description just by mousing over the mod. Such a time saver. Now I need to go to the mod in order to get a description. Seems like a couple of steps backward to me. I'll just keep using the old design as it is much more user friendly.

Gribbleshnibit8 wrote: https://rd.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/categories/ Categories groupings are still available, their location in the menu changed Mods > Mod Categores is now right at the bottom above the divider for the My Activity section. I don't see any mod list option that doesn't show the short description along with it. List view and Big Tiles shows the most.

Mod categories are still there. When you go to a Page for a specific game you can hover over the "MODS" dropDownMenu and see "Mod Categories"

Ouch this is going to take some getting used to... based on a quick glance it seems like the search function is a little slower but that could just be me. But comments on mod pages appear to load a bit faster so decent trade off. Edited by ZZZ02

In response to post #54662603.

ZZZ02 wrote: Ouch this is going to take some getting used to... it seems like the search function is a little slower but that could be me. But comments appear to load a tiny bit faster.

Not you, it's just flat out slow as... idk, a sloth? It's bad, needs serious work. The search is the primary thing that keeps me going back to the old design.

In response to post #54660448. #54660493, #54661078, #54661098 are all replies on the same post.

Crimsomrider wrote: I personally will be clutching onto the old design until the moment it dies because I really am not a fan of this new one. And it's not about me clinging on to the old one because I hate changes or something, I welcome changes when I think they're an improvement, but this is honestly not an improvement in my eyes. It's simply the fact that the compact look of the old design was traded for this plain ugly "modern" design which involves big images and fonts, too much scrolling down, too much eye-movement along with information being scattered all over the place. What's up with all the depressing colors of dark gray, light gray and occasionally white ? Did someone run out of color when designing this place ? Is the "modern" design too afraid of colors ? Am I in 50 Shades Of Gray ?

And then there's other things, some of which I mentioned in the forum post.

My honest opinion is that this is a downgrade rather than an upgrade, because of reasons I stated in the forum post. Such a shame that this is now turning into Bethesda.net 2.0 design... only more uglier and effort requiring.

If anything should have been changed, then it was the forums section because it felt so disconnected from the main site in terms of designs and bringing it up to the Nexus design would have been amazing.

I will remain on the old design until hopefully some changes are made to the new design that make it at least somewhat visually pleasing and convenient.

I said it once and I'll say it again. Old design was compact, displayed important information when required, was easier to navigate and much more viewable.

The new design is too big, too flashy with images and fonts. Absolutely no colors. Information is scattered all over the place. A lot of scrolling and looking around. The biggest sin of all however is that it forces the user to SEARCH for IMPORTANT information, instead of handing the important information to them. Just look at the mod pages for example and see the first 5 lines when you open a mod page.

This new design would be a great design for a phone, not a PC.

Just my opinion.
Jokerine wrote: It took me a while to figure out how to reply, but I gotta say I agree. Having a lot of trouble with this.
OlivierDoorenbos wrote: agreed! old is better.
Jeir wrote: Definitely agree. I think the issue is that the new site's design was primarily made for mobiles. On desktop everything is just too big, with huge images, bigger text/text area, and images where they do nothing but take up space. I don't need a banner image that takes up 50% of the page. I don't need images (or game/author/category/log info) in the tracking centre or download history. I'd rather be able to see 15-20 mods without scrolling.

At least they brought back the 'New Recently' section; it was missing the last time I saw the new site, although it's now 'Recent Activity'; and while the text still takes up too much space (current site: 13 links for today and 10 of yesterday's visible without scrolling. New site: only today's visible without scrolling, and it's missing the icons indicating what got updated), hopefully they wont 'improve' it by adding pointless thumbnails to all the links.

I'm going to need a new mouse with all this extra scrolling I'm going to have to do.

Oh, and seems the drop-down link to 'Manage files/Mods I have access to' is missing. I check those a lot more than I do my own mods. Yeah, I know I can just click once more once I select 'Manage My Mods', but my mouse is already going to be worn out without the extra clicking. =P

Entirely agreed with Crimsonrider and Jokerine. I only took a quick look at it because I have absolutely no time to work on my mods nor my mods pages layouts right now: too big, very important infos scattered, too much scrolling, no "quick view of all that matters" in one glance, to which I'd add a terrible use of overlays - why are all the mods images grayed out with an overlay?
Most mod authors carefully pick up their description images to stand out and best describe their mods. In the new layout, all my images appear blended under a thick gray layer, none stand out - and the worst of it: author's images display only beneath users, you need to scroll down to get to them?!.. Why? Hasn't it always been obvious that we should always be careful to strongly encourage users to pay attention to what the authors has to say about the use of his mod, whether it's in description, images, read-me's, etc.?..

I'm not diminishing the amount of work or skills which have been put into this, I respect it, but it truly feels it's been designed by people who are not mod authors nor are used to dealing with users who report false bugs when indeed they never read the description.

And as a general opinion, I'm afraid the new layout entirely eclipses the Nexus personality and uniqueness in a copy-cat attempt to look more like other mods websites. I'll never understand that, why this need to blend in and look like all the rest? That's not what the Nexus is, that's not who we are. We are different - we are not an aspiring litlle brother of Steam or Bethesda.net!..

Robin, I'll just say this: as an old pro who's been working in communication and design for many years: when you have a distinct personality - and the Nexus definitely has one! - stick to it, magnify it, stand out and be proud, don't try to put on a camouflage suit that'll make you look like every other penguin in your league or you'll just get lost in the crowd.

In response to post #54660448. #54660493, #54661078, #54661098, #54662668 are all replies on the same post.

Crimsomrider wrote: I personally will be clutching onto the old design until the moment it dies because I really am not a fan of this new one. And it's not about me clinging on to the old one because I hate changes or something, I welcome changes when I think they're an improvement, but this is honestly not an improvement in my eyes. It's simply the fact that the compact look of the old design was traded for this plain ugly "modern" design which involves big images and fonts, too much scrolling down, too much eye-movement along with information being scattered all over the place. What's up with all the depressing colors of dark gray, light gray and occasionally white ? Did someone run out of color when designing this place ? Is the "modern" design too afraid of colors ? Am I in 50 Shades Of Gray ?

My honest opinion is that this is a downgrade rather than an upgrade, because of reasons I stated in the forum post. Such a shame that this is now turning into Bethesda.net 2.0 design... only more uglier and effort requiring.

If anything should have been changed, then it was the forums section because it felt so disconnected from the main site in terms of designs and bringing it up to the Nexus design would have been amazing.

I will remain on the old design until hopefully some changes are made to the new design that make it at least somewhat visually pleasing and convenient.

I said it once and I'll say it again. Old design was compact, displayed important information when required, was easier to navigate and much more viewable.

The new design is too big, too flashy with images and fonts. Absolutely no colors. Information is scattered all over the place. A lot of scrolling and looking around. The biggest sin of all however is that it forces the user to SEARCH for IMPORTANT information, instead of handing the important information to them. Just look at the mod pages for example and see the first 5 lines when you open a mod page.

Just my opinion.
Jokerine wrote: It took me a while to figure out how to reply, but I gotta say I agree. Having a lot of trouble with this.
Jeir wrote: Definitely agree. I think the issue is that the new site's design was primarily made for mobiles. On desktop everything is just too big, with huge images, bigger text/text area, and images where they do nothing but take up space. I don't need a banner image that takes up 50% of the page. I don't need images (or game/author/category/log info) in the tracking centre or download history. I'd rather be able to see 15-20 mods without scrolling.

At least they brought back the 'New Recently' section; it was missing the last time I saw the new site, although it's now 'Recent Activity'; and while the text still takes up too much space (current site: 13 links for today and 10 of yesterday's visible without scrolling. New site: only today's visible without scrolling, and it's missing the icons indicating what got updated), hopefully they wont 'improve' it by adding pointless thumbnails to all the links.

I'm going to need a new mouse with all this extra scrolling I'm going to have to do.

Oh, and seems the drop-down link to 'Manage files/Mods I have access to' is missing. I check those a lot more than I do my own mods. Yeah, I know I can just click once more once I select 'Manage My Mods', but my mouse is already going to be worn out without the extra clicking. =P
Hoamaii wrote: Entirely agreed with Crimsonrider and Jokerine. I only took a quick look at it because I have absolutely no time to work on my mods nor my mods pages layouts right now: too big, very important infos scattered, too much scrolling, no "quick view of all that matters" in one glance, to which I'd add a terrible use of overlays - why are all the mods images grayed out with an overlay?
Most mod authors carefully pick up their description images to stand out and best describe their mods. In the new layout, all my images appear blended under a thick gray layer, none stand out - and the worst of it: author's images display only beneath users, you need to scroll down to get to them?!.. Why? Hasn't it always been obvious that we should always be careful to strongly encourage users to pay attention to what the authors has to say about the use of his mod, whether it's in description, images, read-me's, etc.?..

I'm not diminishing the amount of work or skills which have been put into this, I respect it, but it truly feels it's been designed by people who are not mod authors nor are used to dealing with users who report false bugs when indeed they never read the description.

And as a general opinion, I'm afraid the new layout entirely eclipses the Nexus personality and uniqueness in a copy-cat attempt to look more like other mods websites. I'll never understand that, why this need to blend in and look like all the rest? That's not what the Nexus is, that's not who we are. We are different - we are not an aspiring litlle brother of Steam or Bethesda.net!..

Robin, I'll just say this: as an old pro who's been working in communication and design for many years: when you have a distinct personality - and the Nexus definitely has one! - stick to it, magnify it, stand out and be proud, don't try to put on a camouflage suit that'll make you look like every other penguin in your league or you'll just get lost in the crowd.

I definitely hope the kind of subtle but effective indicator of what exactly was updated comes back to New Recently/Recent Activity. Being able to see less entries without scrolling is an annoyance, not having anything to indicate if it was files updated or not without checking the mod directly is outright functionality-breaking (the entire purpose of Recent Activity is to get a quick overview of recent activity, after all).

In response to post #54660448. #54660493, #54661078, #54661098, #54662668, #54662753 are all replies on the same post.

Just my opinion.

Hoamaii wrote: Entirely agreed with Crimsonrider and Jokerine. I only took a quick look at it because I have absolutely no time to work on my mods nor my mods pages layouts right now: too big, very important infos scattered, too much scrolling, no "quick view of all that matters" in one glance, to which I'd add a terrible use of overlays - why are all the mods images grayed out with an overlay?

Lord1 wrote: I definitely hope the kind of subtle but effective indicator of what exactly was updated comes back to New Recently/Recent Activity. Being able to see less entries without scrolling is an annoyance, not having anything to indicate if it was files updated or not without checking the mod directly is outright functionality-breaking (the entire purpose of Recent Activity is to get a quick overview of recent activity, after all).

I'm jumping on the hate train too. Crimsomrider nails it; the new design is far too clunky. The reason you see so many websites coming out with this design aesthetic is to be more mobile friendly, but who the hell is surfing Nexus Mods on a smartphone? Until Bethesda ports Skyrim to Android (and I'm sure it's coming), there's literally no reason for this.