An update on Vortex development

Dark0ne

In response to post #55114263.

GeneralJohn wrote: To the people shitting on this, I have a question for you. Have you tried it? Oh, you can't because it's not released yet! Which means you know nothing and have no idea what it's actually going to be like...

Honestly, the amount of armchair developers and know-it-alls in these comments is enough to make me moonwalk off a cliff.

I agree with you 100% !!

If somebody believe he/she is a genius, they should be developing Vortex and in a real world, it is anti-ethical when a professional criticizes another professional in the same are of expertise, so whoever is consider himself/herself a know-it-all person, should wait or get in direct contact with Tannin and try to help rather than using this thread to make us believe they are more knowledgeable than Tannin.

Not one who has expressed his/her opinion in this thread was the one who created MO but Tannin, so the best person to develop Vortex is him. Period. If anybody believe can do better than him, well go ahead and create your own and prove that you are much better than him or simply s** up and wait or start using another program.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #55070213. #55070518, #55075553, #55086123, #55089728, #55092388, #55093143 are all replies on the same post.

bchick1 wrote: IT'S FREE !!! I like free stuff !! I like free stuff even if it doesn't work ! why? because it's FREE ! FREE !!! FREE !!! Free is good! I will try FREE broken stuff ! Someone once gave me ... FREE ... a broken automobile. It didn't run but I could sit in it !! but it was FREE !! Whaddawewant? ?? FREE !!!

* quit complaining if you don't have to pay for it.

Ethreon wrote: Getting kicked in the face is free too, but I reckon you wouldn't want it to happen to you.
lued123 wrote: Okay, but FREE and OPTIONAL!
BadKappa wrote: Yea, but unless you have the option to accept that kick in the face, then you're making a common argumentative fallacy that has been degrading debate, specifically political, for a while now.

:wink:

ezfreee wrote: i'd gladly pay a LARGE amount to have a working version of MO for SSE. It's Tannin's fault for making MO in the first place. Maybe once he's done with Vortex we can pool some cash to have him finish MO2. :o
Mortercotic wrote: If vortex its done why should we need mo2?
Ethreon wrote: Some people seem stuck with their ideas. To them MO is the one and only manager.

Vortex for all intents and purposes, is MO2. No reason to continue work on MO2 exists.

Except that Vortex for all practical purposes doesn't exist (yet), and we have no tangible evidence of its existence or its capabilities.

The reason to continue work on MO2 is that until an alternative exists MO2 allows good mod management of Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE.

It's great to have faith and all, but the cone of silence that exists over Vortex means none except the exclusive few, not even those with zero interest in MO, have a right to make assertions at the expense of other users.

Seems there's haters on both sides with blinkers on.

Edited by ozoak

In response to post #55070213. #55070518, #55075553, #55086123, #55089728, #55092388, #55093143, #55112793 are all replies on the same post.

bchick1 wrote: IT'S FREE !!! I like free stuff !! I like free stuff even if it doesn't work ! why? because it's FREE ! FREE !!! FREE !!! Free is good! I will try FREE broken stuff ! Someone once gave me ... FREE ... a broken automobile. It didn't run but I could sit in it !! but it was FREE !! Whaddawewant? ?? FREE !!!

Ethreon wrote: Getting kicked in the face is free too, but I reckon you wouldn't want it to happen to you.
BadKappa wrote: Yea, but unless you have the option to accept that kick in the face, then you're making a common argumentative fallacy that has been degrading debate, specifically political, for a while now.

;)
ezfreee wrote: i'd gladly pay a LARGE amount to have a working version of MO for SSE. It's Tannin's fault for making MO in the first place. Maybe once he's done with Vortex we can pool some cash to have him finish MO2. :o
Ethreon wrote: Some people seem stuck with their ideas. To them MO is the one and only manager.
ShwayNorris wrote: Vortex for all intents and purposes, is MO2. No reason to continue work on MO2 exists.

I think my meds are working!

In response to post #55066558. #55067438, #55083913, #55084763, #55092883, #55093178, #55112363 are all replies on the same post.

1000101 wrote: wtf is "Vortex?" I'm guessing from the comments it's some sort of mod manager? And if so, unless it can do everything and give me all the power that Wyre Bash can, then I personally have no use for it.
Perhaps a small aside at the beginning of articles to let people know what you are talking about - ie, "Vortex" means nothing to me however, "Vortex, the mod manager we've been working on" helps a lot.

That being said, keep up the good work?
Ethreon wrote: Wouldn't hurt reading a bit

https://rd.nexusmods.com/fallout4/news/13257
TheInquizitor wrote: It just occurred to me that half of all Nexus users must be dyslexic. Calling it "Wyre Bash" instead of "Wrye Bash" is extremely common..
lued123 wrote: Yeah it's actually spelled Wrye and pronounced the same way as rye bread.
Ever heard of the Mandela effect?
FRANKY4F1NG3RS wrote: I use wrye bash exclusively for SSE, but I'm willing to bet this mod manager will have much higher capabilities. I don't know much about MO, but for Skyrim It seems to be the most favored manager. Now the creator of MO & MO2 has been hired by Nexus to make a new mod manager. How do you not know any of this? Its been going on for about a year now... although for some reason I doubt it'll have bash/merged patch capabilities but Mator Smash is the new tool that supposedly does both the best.
Ethreon wrote: At the end of the day a mod manager should do the job it's primarily meant for - manage mods. And it has to do that job damn well for the majority of games on this site.
PeterMartyr wrote: Crap I wrote Wrye earlier in this post, you made me check my spelling cos English isn't my First Language, it appears I am not dyslexic. :) But I can't spell in English for peanuts.

btw it's wrye smash now

In response to post #55114263. #55116098 is also a reply to the same post.

GeneralJohn wrote: To the people shitting on this, I have a question for you. Have you tried it? Oh, you can't because it's not released yet! Which means you know nothing and have no idea what it's actually going to be like...

Honestly, the amount of armchair developers and know-it-alls in these comments is enough to make me moonwalk off a cliff.
sopmac45 wrote: I agree with you 100% !!

If somebody believe he/she is a genius, they should be developing Vortex and in a real world, it is anti-ethical when a professional criticizes another professional in the same are of expertise, so whoever is consider himself/herself a know-it-all person, should wait or get in direct contact with Tannin and try to help rather than using this thread to make us believe they are more knowledgeable than Tannin.

Not one who has expressed his/her opinion in this thread was the one who created MO but Tannin, so the best person to develop Vortex is him. Period. If anybody believe can do better than him, well go ahead and create your own and prove that you are much better than him or simply s** up and wait or start using another program.

While I have nothing against you, I would still love to see you moonwalk off of a cliff. Comedic purposes only.

In response to post #55117013.

ozoak wrote:

In response to post #55070213. #55070518, #55075553, #55086123, #55089728, #55092388, #55093143 are all replies on the same post.

:wink:

Vortex for all intents and purposes, is MO2. No reason to continue work on MO2 exists.

Except that Vortex for all practical purposes doesn't exist (yet), and we have no tangible evidence of its existence or its capabilities.

The reason to continue work on MO2 is that until an alternative exists MO2 allows good mod management of Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE.

It's great to have faith and all, but the cone of silence that exists over Vortex means none except the exclusive few, not even those with zero interest in MO, have a right to make assertions at the expense of other users.

Seems there's haters on both sides with blinkers on.

Vortex exists just fine, it's just not public yet.

In response to post #55086788. #55131908 is also a reply to the same post.

sw1n3flu141 wrote: Will it be multiplatform and/or open source?
dragonjet wrote: I'd like to know this as well. Are we going to see this in a public repository? I sure would like to build plugins since it seems it's electron-based.

It's build with platform independent tools and I had it running on Linux a while ago but we currently can't spare the time to maintain builds for all platforms. There are a few features (stuff like: get the icon for a tool from the exe so we can show it in the ui) that are platform dependent and would have to be implemented separately for Linux and MacOS.

tl;dr Initially we will release only a windows version as far as I'm aware but Linux and MacOS are possible and with a reasonable amount of extra work.

The current plan is to release as GPL, just like NMM. And yes, there is a plugin api for others to contribute (we talk about "extensions" instead of "plugins" to avoid confusion with other uses of the term plugin)