Redesign Launch - Stage 2 in progress

Dark0ne

In response to post #55565719. #55566854 is also a reply to the same post.

Christhulhu wrote: The new site is much better. People are just afraid of change. The convenience of the new features will overtake their nostalgia in time. Keep up the good work!
KennyMcCormick315 wrote: Uhh, no, it isn't, in fact I just now came in here because not only does it look like a mobile app, but it's also outright broken for me.

Change is good...when change is necessary. Change just for change's sake is a waste of everyone's time. And I'm not of the opinion that the Nexus site needed this redesign.

Meh, It's all extremely huge and everything is placed in diff spots. Sure, over time, it may be fine, but It's not better to a lot of us. Of course...that's just my opinion. I personally can't stand how fkin huge everything is.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #55555733. #55556463, #55562434, #55563134 are all replies on the same post.

Lollia wrote: The two words that best describe how I feel about the new design: sensory overload. Getting hit with a multitude of pictures from mods plus ad banners makes me want to download what I need and leave as fast as possible.
darksynth0 wrote: ^this, actually :(

but I want to stay on site longer.. but I have to use "old." workaround for every page I open :(
n0sf3ratu wrote: Literally this. I'd bet the sensory overload is 99% of why people don't like the new design, and it's the main reason I have to keep using the "old" site for as long as I can. The new one is literally painful to look at. Not figuratively, literally. Being autistic isn't fun.

But I expect the Powers That Be to take our concerns about as seriously as the FCC is taking the public's net neutrality concerns.
PziCrow wrote: Everytime I get here to look for mods I just close the browser again instantly, as it is just too god damn ugly and I move on to other stuff. It even makes me want to uninstall FO4, as it is unplayable without mods and having to look at this garbage is just not worth it.

I agree.

In response to post #55565719. #55566854, #55566949 are all replies on the same post.

Christhulhu wrote: The new site is much better. People are just afraid of change. The convenience of the new features will overtake their nostalgia in time. Keep up the good work!
KennyMcCormick315 wrote: Uhh, no, it isn't, in fact I just now came in here because not only does it look like a mobile app, but it's also outright broken for me.

Change is good...when change is necessary. Change just for change's sake is a waste of everyone's time. And I'm not of the opinion that the Nexus site needed this redesign.
Haladoon wrote: Meh, It's all extremely huge and everything is placed in diff spots. Sure, over time, it may be fine, but It's not better to a lot of us. Of course...that's just my opinion. I personally can't stand how fkin huge everything is.

I might be willing to accept it if I didn't have to just use uBlock Origin to nip the donation pane on the mod download page so I could get to the button I needed to click to download the mod I wanted.

The site is objectively broken for me. It isn't a matter of 'I don't like the UI'...well, I don't...the issue is that I have to go in there with Firefox addons and disable elements of the webpage just to get basic functionality to work. I shouldn't have to do that. The donation pane shouldn't be sitting on top of the buttons one needs to click to download mods, which are the primary reason the site exists at all.

Bit frustrating to say the least. But I have a local workaround, so it's all good, and I'll just put up with the UI now that I have the site working again.

In response to post #55555733. #55556463, #55562434, #55563134, #55566989 are all replies on the same post.

Lollia wrote: The two words that best describe how I feel about the new design: sensory overload. Getting hit with a multitude of pictures from mods plus ad banners makes me want to download what I need and leave as fast as possible.
darksynth0 wrote: ^this, actually :(

but I want to stay on site longer.. but I have to use "old." workaround for every page I open :(
n0sf3ratu wrote: Literally this. I'd bet the sensory overload is 99% of why people don't like the new design, and it's the main reason I have to keep using the "old" site for as long as I can. The new one is literally painful to look at. Not figuratively, literally. Being autistic isn't fun.

But I expect the Powers That Be to take our concerns about as seriously as the FCC is taking the public's net neutrality concerns.
PziCrow wrote: Everytime I get here to look for mods I just close the browser again instantly, as it is just too god damn ugly and I move on to other stuff. It even makes me want to uninstall FO4, as it is unplayable without mods and having to look at this garbage is just not worth it.
Haladoon wrote: I agree.

I have to say I agree with this myself. So I just keep the old site links favorited in hopes the new site design might be redirected toward a more visual-friendly look with an ease-of-navigation format like the old site now provides.

In response to post #55563054.

twowolves80 wrote:

In response to post #55555733. #55556463 is also a reply to the same post.

darksynth0 wrote: ^this, actually :sad:

but I want to stay on site longer.. but I have to use "old." workaround for every page I open :sad:

Literally this. I'd bet the sensory overload is 99% of why people don't like the new design, and it's the main reason I have to keep using the "old" site for as long as I can. The new one is literally painful to look at. Not figuratively, literally. Being autistic isn't fun.

Sorry to hear you feel that way. If you had read the entire thread, and Robin's other announcements and posts, you'd perhaps be more aware that the admins are actively listening to us.

To whit, the complaints have thus far been centered around:

1. Search functionality

2. Contrast/color/flatness of the new site (which probably will be addressed once they get more comfortable with making changes)

3. The image boxes instead of a list or smaller boxes on one side similar in feel to what we had before due to the website itself being bigger and not utilizing space as efficiently as it could.

These issues are ones that will be refined as time goes on, we just have to be patient. Same thing with modding, right? We all didn't start modding by having a full 255 plugins, 800 mods, no script errors and no bugs. It took us time to learn the new system. Same thing with them.

Kudos to those of you actually providing specific examples as to things you like/don't like and making suggestions as this is constructive and doing so in a way where it's not just insults.

To be fair, it's hard to point out specifics when there's barely anything about the new UI that works. I could print off any random new Nexus page, tape it to my wall, throw a dart, and there'd be something about the element the dart landed in which doesn't work for me.

It should be clear from how many of us are saying 'the whole site looks awful/like it was designed for a phone' that there isn't a specific set of elements wrong with this design. The entire design is at fault. And I had to use uBlock Origins to restore basic functionality just now, because the 'donate to the mod author' pane had popped up above the mod dependencies warning, making it impossible for me to click the button to actually download the mod until I used uBlock to nip that pane entirely.

So not only does it look like it was designed with smartphones in mind, which is something I positively loathe but acknowledge that it's a more subjective aspect of UI design, but the new design is actively interfering with the primary usage of the site. Needless to say I'm definitely not a fan and if you ask me to be specific I'm just going to point to the entire UI and say 'Everything on the screen', then point to the old UI and go 'This is far better, use this'. There's simply too much wrong with the new UI for me to sit down and itemize it, I'd be here till Christmas sorting that one out, and I imagine this is the same way for everyone else who is being general in their comments.

I love this site, I'm probably going to toss a few bucks its way once I have a new job and can afford to do so(Terrible UI aside, the Nexus network is an amazing batch of sites and my favorite games wouldn't be playable without it, and that's something I'm willing to support), but I'm not going to sit here and leave my concerns unvoiced when I feel the entire UI is bad. Hell, it's making some people leave the site entirely...probably not enough to meaningfully affect site traffic, but it's never a good sign when you have people saying the UI is so bad it's making them quit playing Fallout 4 because the mod repository they need to enjoy it is painful to look at, nor is it a good sign when you have people saying it's literally painful for them to look at. Edited by KennyMcCormick315

So I've been trying to use the new layout, and the first page is not helpful at all for modding my game. Besides the fact that it comes across as just a jumble of pictures without descriptions, the easy to see and understand functionality of the old site is gone. The new hot files/hot mods section on top is worthless, as the white writing on the top two files is minuscule and what...10/15 words long? Even if it was legible, what can you tell me about a mod in so few words. Why would I want to download it? And it's even worse for the other four or so hot files below it as they don't even have a description, the writing again is too small this time to even read the entire mod's name, plus hovering over the file doesn't give you the mod in a bigger window like the old site had.

Once you get past that initial jumble, you're hit with lots of images, more mods, explore all mods, latest mods and so on and so forth...it's overwhelming, and in all of that there isn't even the Mods of the Month, which should be an even bigger deal than even the hot files. They should be the first and immediate mods that everybody needs to know about when they stop back in and they're nowhere to be found on the front page....instead I see categories for hot mods, more mods, popular mods, trending mods (*which are what?...popular but not as popular as the popular mods? kinda redundant, it seems to me), and random mods which is kinda cool actually if it wasn't for the lack of the Mods of the Month, which should be the star on top of the tree.

I shouldn't have to actually open a new window to have a good idea what a mod is or does, and especially not to see what its name is. As abrupt as it might be to say it this way, the new layout makes me not want to use the site as it actually impedes me modding my game.

I would hate to bring this up but since it was mentioned that the design should still work. Well the screen does. However, the categories function does not work. Since it points to the new design and therefore does not have that in place. Have not tried to search as of yet. however, it might also be pointing to the new area as well. If you are going to leave up the old design with all of its functions then the programmers should have tested this out before making a new design so while they get to test the new site live. (Which is usually a bad idea) They should have made sure that the old design functioned as it did before the change.

Just my two cents.

Well, to be sure, there's bound to be a learning curve, and yes, I do agree some of the elements could use more...I dunno...definition. The thing about the old site was, the green buttons stood out and weren't contrast-y. But again, I think this is something we will see change, it's just a matter of when. I'm curious to hear what Dark0ne has to say about their experience setting up the website, and what they've had to learn to port things over. I'm willing to bet they're scratching their heads more than once going, well, how did that happen? after fixing something.

My gripe is this: We can make suggestions, give good feedback, and whatnot, but it doesn't hurt to be nice about it, and the admins on the receiving end will appreciate it more if they think their efforts are being appreciated, even if we don't always see what goes on behind the curtain. I'm sure they're not happy with it in it's current form, either, but they're working on that on top of working on Vortex, dealing with the routine day-to-day site stuff, fixing bugs, working on their own mods, dealing with their own jobs and real life problems, and everything else. Unfortunately, no uber-rich member has stepped forward to offer to pay Robin and company a salary to do nothing other than mod, work on the site, and work on Vortex. lol

If I ever win the lottery, you have my word I will. lol