Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

In response to post #56098446.

Ethreon wrote:

In response to post #56096151. #56096866 is also a reply to the same post.

yanuage wrote: it looks far from the intention of those who invented the internet and wanted a free and unlimited sharing of immaterial goods.

What is the point of inventing imaginary copyrights for virtual dress when there is none in the real world of fashion or in the legislation of most countries?
Dark0ne wrote: I have absolutely no idea what you're going on about.

I guess yanuage is talking about different cultures and I can easily see his point.

A culture of not respecting other people it seems. Either that or a culture of gibberish.

Are you the judge of gibberish now,, Ethreon?

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading the announcement, I have two questions.

1: If a mod that has indeed been stolen by others is only discovered after the grace period of three months, will there be some sort of ban on the guilty "creator" that prohibits them from receiving more points on any additional mods they upload? Like a probationary period or a permanent block from the point system?

2: Will there be stricter guidelines for mods that have little to no description? I have seen mod pages that are so blank that you have to download the mod just to find out what it does. I've actually seen mod authors actively encourage such action, rather than just create a proper description to begin with.

Edited by Lollia

In response to post #56098446. #56101801 is also a reply to the same post.

Ethreon wrote:

In response to post #56096151. #56096866 is also a reply to the same post.

yanuage wrote: it looks far from the intention of those who invented the internet and wanted a free and unlimited sharing of immaterial goods.

What is the point of inventing imaginary copyrights for virtual dress when there is none in the real world of fashion or in the legislation of most countries?

I guess yanuage is talking about different cultures and I can easily see his point.

A culture of not respecting other people it seems. Either that or a culture of gibberish.

fredlaus wrote: Are you the judge of gibberish now,, Ethreon?

Didn't know I need to be qualified to notice bull.

In response to post #56096151. #56096866, #56097731 are all replies on the same post.

fredlaus wrote: I guess yanuage is talking about different cultures and I can easily see his point.

What "immaterial goods" are you talking about? In fact, what are you talking about at all? There may be a substantive point to this comment, but it eludes me.

I like the idea, Nexus giving back to modders is a good thing. It's going to create a whole slew of issues with permissions and the likes though, which I'm not looking forward to as a mod author. That's the problem when your mod uses assets from other users, I suppose, how do you determine who gets what percentage of the "profit" ? The easiest solution is to pull back from any monetary system, unfortunately.

Transmuting provocative squats into bottles of beer would be a miracle of the new age. Can you add Moosehead Beer to the store front?

In response to post #56085816.

SanguinBlack wrote: Unfortunately, there are some authors here (rather more than less) who treat people like dirtbags -assumably with the confidence provided by the impossibility of facing any obstacles or any downsides in the process- but will strictly forbid any kind of criticism.

So no, this is not fair and is against my will.

And most people share the same thoughts with me but either they prefer keeping quiet about it in the exchange of not getting banned or their comments have been already removed.

I disagree with you that there are more than less. But there are definitely some out there but I can only come up with a few. This system will mostly benefit people with a lot of downloads, so basically recognized mod authors. And again like many before me have said and I'll say it as well. Mod authors post their mods here for free. You as a user downloads whatever mods you fancy for free. What do you give back?

So with that said, now thanks to this system you will help authors because lets face it, most people don't donate to mod authors even if they deserve it. And I just need to say that I completely disagree with your last statement. I see plenty of people that express their opinion. I think because you're a fairly new user, you should be careful speaking for a community you haven't been a part of for long, like you've known it for years.

First of all, let me be clear: I don't care! I never had more than 3k download, so, at least for me, we're talking about earning 5 dollars! It's not the kind of money you can get angry about.

That said, I must say your system is deeply flawed. Without looking at anybody else, I myself released mods I made in one single day, and I'm now about to release a mod that took more than one year to create, with 124 armors, 64 of which have 2 or more versions. How can you possibly compare the 1-day mods with such a huge project? How could I get the same amount of (ridiculous) money from the two mods? And what stops me from creating 188 different mods one for each armor or version and get if not 188 at least 100 more DP and so money? Of course I won't do it, but with this method you encourage this kind of silly modding.

I don't find this idea so good, both because the amount of money is ridiculous (and so completely useless in encouraging more work form modders) and because it is very badly implemented.

Edited by Arjuna76

While I agree with many here that wish that we went back to the good ol' days where people simply shared for the sake of sharing and anything online was free, the dull, hard reality is that we live in a global capitalistic society, an increasingly capitalistic society at that. As such i think its only fair that the people that put their time, effort and money into bringing joy and novelty into our games get some sort of recognition and perhaps monetary compensation. A patreon would be nice,but having a system from the site itself, like they are proposing, is way better.

I know my opinion doesn't count much, since I'm a user and not a modder, but I find the fact that the Nexus team is willing to pony up cash themselves for this is a great gesture. As for the comments about popularity and the like, well, modding popularity IS earned through quality, so there's that. As for the hostile modders and users, simply ignore them? It's what I do, and honestly they seem like a vast minority.

I guess I agree. I almost stop modding also cause this, users are not willing to even click an endorsement, imagine...

Endorsements, indeed, are around 5% / 10% of unique downloads, and the "thanks" even less. Too much hours of hard work on some mods for just this.

Even Nexusmods, I guess, lives upon something more tangible, and this also due to the modders work as well.

Edited by Kajuan