Mod Author Donation System

Dark0ne

must be there for us anytime we need them

ah ha ha no. No, publishing a mod does not oblige anyone to help you with your broken game, with or without this system. Perhaps you should adjust your expectations and will then find mod authors are friendlier. You should maybe also reread the post, there is no voting, it's based on downloads.

Nexus crew, awesome development, thank you.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it looks far from the intention of those who invented the internet and wanted a free and unlimited sharing of immaterial goods.

What is the point of inventing imaginary copyrights for virtual dress when there is none in the real world of fashion or in the legislation of most countries?

In response to post #56096151.

yanuage wrote: it looks far from the intention of those who invented the internet and wanted a free and unlimited sharing of immaterial goods.

What is the point of inventing imaginary copyrights for virtual dress when there is none in the real world of fashion or in the legislation of most countries?

I have absolutely no idea what you're going on about.

In response to post #56090321. #56092551 is also a reply to the same post.

sopmac45 wrote: I like the concept very much and I would like to contribute to reward some mod authors that have been very nice to help whenever I have had some troubles with a particular mod; others have gone beyond my expectations and I will have no doubt to reward them forever but at the same time there are others, and probably the majority that are not very nice.

My point is that a reward system is about to begin but we, mod users, must have some kind of reward too in the way that whoever mod author gets our vote, must be there for us anytime we need them and not just let us floating in the air with questions ( not answered ) about his/her mod not working properly and/or as it should.

So I do not know how are you planning to manage that. Again, I put my knee down, take my hat and pay my tribute ( reward ) to those ( and they are very few btw ) that have been very nice in helping me with their mods. I do not have to mention names but there is one who is my friend and he is a very nice person and a great mod author and I will not hesitate to reward him as much as I can but I cannot say the same about the majority. Anyway I guess I am not that demanding about downloading quantity but quality. I will blindly reward quality and good treatment for using/downloading their mods. Hope you understand my point.

Thanks

P.S. >> Is there anyway that we can establish a fixed rate for using mods ? Like each user pays $1 for downloading a mod and have full access life-time on that mod ( updates, etc ) ? If the mod author is good, he/she will end up with thousands in his/her pocket, so this way we reward them and for us, mod users, will be a one-time transaction that will be flagged on that mod. Same principle with Nexus, I am a premium member and I paid already for my life-time full access.
hammersmcp wrote: I don't expect mod authors to provide the same level of support ("anytime we need them") as sopmac45 does, but could there be a way to cancel your unique download if the mod does not perform as described? Or will there be some kind of moderator oversight to determine if a mod is deceptive?

My point is that a reward system is about to begin but we, mod users, must have some kind of reward too

Your reward is having an entire site of mods from authors who freely share their creations with others.

This is most definitely not an "if they get something, we should get something too" situation. You already get plenty.

In response to post #56096151. #56096866 is also a reply to the same post.

yanuage wrote: it looks far from the intention of those who invented the internet and wanted a free and unlimited sharing of immaterial goods.

Dark0ne wrote: I have absolutely no idea what you're going on about.

I guess yanuage is talking about different cultures and I can easily see his point.

In response to post #56096151. #56096866 is also a reply to the same post.

Dark0ne wrote: I have absolutely no idea what you're going on about.

I guess yanuage is talking about different cultures and I can easily see his point.

A culture of not respecting other people it seems. Either that or a culture of gibberish.

I'm just an humble mod author who got in modding for skyrim, but nontheless i've spent a lot of time in the CK. Now with this announcement Nexus sounds is making mods definitively a "Product". And don't get me wrong, i like the idea of you keep the spiky problem "Buying" away from this. But still, making a mod as a product, will need a more precise "Feedback" or the possibility of being saw by a lot of peapole even after the the day one release. I would suggest to use some features to help us like.

-A very essential questionary on the quality of the mod and how the user would improve it. (this will avoid stupid spams in the comment sections and will be a more personal rapport with the modder, more professional)

-A randomize visibility on the main page of a mod or set of, let's face it, endorse aren't that much seals of quality of a mod. And maybe reshowing on the main page will help occasionals, to know mods buried down in the list of mods who didn't got much endorse in the day one.

-A suggestion menù like steam: "You downloaded *this* you might like *that* mod"

-Mod Authors can Highlight their positive comments as advertisment to show their good work.

-A built in formatting menù in the comment section of the mods forum, to be able to make a nice sticky on the fly without going through the forum.

In response to post #56089931. #56090416 is also a reply to the same post.

femshepping wrote: I think this is a cool idea! And it’s nice that it’s opt in/out so people that don’t like it for whatever reason aren’t forced to be doing it.
You also covered all of the questions I would have had about it, so thanks for the extensive post! Looking forward to seeing the system in action :)
abot wrote: I think your metric could be much better factoring also the game e.g.
instead of
total mod unique download,
use
A / B
where
A = total unique download for mod,
B = total unique downloads for all mods and all modders of that game.

,else the 2 or 3 more popular games will get it all.
B is even more robust/hard to cheat than A

[EDIT]sorry, post was not meant as a quote to femshepping, but to main post by Dark0ne

B is very easy to game with less popular titles, or oens that don't really get mods. There 50 downloads could constitute 50% of downloads for the game this month. That's clearly not fair, so you'd have to add some balance to account for game popularity on the site, and after a bit of algebra you get back to A by itself.

In response to post #56089931. #56090416, #56100771 are all replies on the same post.

femshepping wrote: I think this is a cool idea! And it’s nice that it’s opt in/out so people that don’t like it for whatever reason aren’t forced to be doing it.
You also covered all of the questions I would have had about it, so thanks for the extensive post! Looking forward to seeing the system in action :)
abot wrote: I think your metric could be much better factoring also the game e.g.
instead of
total mod unique download,
use
A / B
where
A = total unique download for mod,
B = total unique downloads for all mods and all modders of that game.

,else the 2 or 3 more popular games will get it all.
B is even more robust/hard to cheat than A

[EDIT]sorry, post was not meant as a quote to femshepping, but to main post by Dark0ne
Michalius wrote: B is very easy to game with less popular titles, or oens that don't really get mods. There 50 downloads could constitute 50% of downloads for the game this month. That's clearly not fair, so you'd have to add some balance to account for game popularity on the site, and after a bit of algebra you get back to A by itself.

Lets not forget that the longer a mod stays on the front page of Nexus the more downloads it gets!